2023 Recruiting

Advertisement
Papa Kante released from his NLI with Michigan.
This touches on an interesting and not much discussed new aspect of NIL. (Yes, I think you meant Letter of Intent). Some of the recent "fodder" about NIL payment is the surfacing of more tightly negotiated contracts now that somehow ensure the ability to make payments. Ie; it is not considered a trivial issue as much as it maybe once was. So we have "tighter contracts", which get hairy... you can't (per whacky NCAA) condition contractually on actual enrolment/playing-time, but have to keep it independent. And now with Arkansas new laws leading the way, you can likely NIL_sign high school students that have not actually enrolled yet (just intend to) ...

...which gets to what the NIL-payer/sponsors get contractually, especially if they are non-university-collective private businesses like LW. Can you say: all monies, which may not be totally upfront (in advance as most mama wants) have to be returned if you leave the college and/or the area where your "name image and likeness" were going to bring us the most bang for buck? Yes, it seems. Then, if Pack (or someone who makes a bit less) wants to THEN go to portal, and transfer after the first signed year; does he have to be "released"? I understand those working on said contracts are getting premature gray hair and headaches over this, as prospects are seeking more payment guarantees.

This touches on an interesting and not much discussed new aspect of NIL. (Yes, I think you meant Letter of Intent). Some of the recent "fodder" about NIL payment is the surfacing of more tightly negotiated contracts now that somehow ensure the ability to make payments. Ie; it is not considered a trivial issue as much as it maybe once was. So we have "tighter contracts", which get hairy... you can't (per whacky NCAA) condition contractually on actual enrolment/playing-time, but have to keep it independent. And now with Arkansas new laws leading the way, you can likely NIL_sign high school students that have not actually enrolled yet (just intend to) ...

...which gets to what the NIL-payer/sponsors get contractually, especially if they are non-university-collective private businesses like LW. Can you say: all monies, which may not be totally upfront (in advance as most mama wants) have to be returned if you leave the college and/or the area where your "name image and likeness" were going to bring us the most bang for buck? Yes, it seems. Then, if Pack (or someone who makes a bit less) wants to THEN go to portal, and transfer after the first signed year; does he have to be "released"? I understand those working on said contracts are getting premature gray hair and headaches over this, as prospects are seeking more payment guarantees.
I think (and hope) this is where Miami is in front of the game. 99% of all loopholes buttoned up. Players getting paid. Taxes being explained. Also rules if you transfer where they don’t have to pay but it doesn’t look like pay for play “our company is located in Sfla so you must reside there to do appearances).

I’m sure others are much more in tune but I just think we are in good shape here and with more winning it should only help bring on more businesses to keep growing. I want that Saudi Prince Brooklyn mentioned that is friends with Soffer to throw his wealth around and really **** off the country.

Advertisement
Papa Kante released from his NLI with Michigan.
1682170325770.png

Contracts are contracts and the parties can negotiate practically any terms they desire short of something illegal (can’t contract for an illegal term). As long as each side receives consideration, NIL payments can be connected to many things, including performance, which school the player attends, morals clauses, etc…

I don’t think we were hot in pursuit of Kante. Iirc he only visited Maryland and Michigan. Plus with Nwoko, I’d say the need at 4 and backcourt help is far greater.

Advertisement
Contracts are contracts and the parties can negotiate practically any terms they desire short of something illegal (can’t contract for an illegal term). As long as each side receives consideration, NIL payments can be connected to many things, including performance, which school the player attends, morals clauses, etc…
Thx for reply. Its really both bewildering and interesting (to me). Seems a prospect's agent-for-NIL can contact collective or NIL-guy (like Ruiz) and inquire what they will pay (assuming player is desired.) But not even clear NIL-funding team (or teams or persons) can contact Coach L, ask how much he's worth, if he wants guy, etc. Or Coach L calling NIL guys or agent either. And if someone leaves (Pack in middle of a 2 year 800,000) is there a buyback (maybe should be). And this stuff is not public. Then again, either were bags or amounts. There's more, the logistics(for players and boosters), incl taxes, boggle the mind. Better than bags i guess by a lot though. Maybe.

edit/after-thought... as if post isnt lengthy enough. Thinking baseball (contract has clause for MVP, batting over 300, or 20 homers, other incentives)... and these anything-goes contract include incentives? You get 800,00 if you play 20 minutes per game score 10+ average, etc. Seems thats play for pay and violates NCAA. Could that be in an NIL-contract legit today ya think?

Last edited:
Thx for reply. Its really both bewildering and interesting (to me). Seems a prospect's agent-for-NIL can contact collective or NIL-guy (like Ruiz) and inquire what they will pay (assuming player is desired.) But not even clear NIL-funding team (or teams or persons) can contact Coach L, ask how much he's worth, if he wants guy, etc. Or Coach L calling NIL guys or agent either. And if someone leaves (Pack in middle of a 2 year 800,000) is there a buyback (maybe should be). And this stuff is not public. Then again, either were bags or amounts. There's more, the logistics(for players and boosters), incl taxes, boggle the mind. Better than bags i guess by a lot though. Maybe.

edit/after-thought... as if post isnt lengthy enough. Thinking baseball (contract has clause for MVP, batting over 300, or 20 homers, other incentives)... and these anything-goes contract include incentives? You get 800,00 if you play 20 minutes per game score 10+ average, etc. Seems thats play for pay and violates NCAA. Could that be in an NIL-contract legit today ya think?
Correct on all your concerns. The NC2A was caught flat footed as they were on the wrong legal side of the NIL argument. As such, they are still trying to create parameters, after which they have to convince their members to agree to those parameters while the members are running wild.

As to your 2nd point, NIL contracts can and are absolutely tied to performance as performance does impact a player’s NIL value to a company. Ruiz loves the Nigel Pack deal because high and the team’s high level of play. But if UM finished 13-15 and missed all the post season tourneys that contract would have been terrible, and possibly would have resulted in less money for Pack if there were individual and team incentives.

Frankly, I would expect a lot of NIL deals to have performance incentives.

Advertisement
I reckon our chances at Allen and Howard are 0. Allen barely gave us the time of day during his recruitment iirc and we never even offered Holland.

Something tells me Pitino is going to find a way to go all in on these guys and win Asap. He isn’t getting any younger. **** he looks half dead now.

Advertisement

The word on the street is that Marvel will likely end up at McNeese St. Not sure how accurate it is, but he's supposed to be following Will Wade there. Keep in mind that Marvel initially had committed to LSU while Wade was still there. After Wade got canned, Marvel decommitted and went with Georgetown.

Last edited:
The word on the street is that Marvel will likely end up at McNeese St. Not sure how accurate it is, but he's supposed to be following Will Wade there. Keep in mind that Marvel initially had committed to LSU while Wade was still there. After Wade got canned, Marvel decommitted and went with Georgetown.
Kid sounds like a head case.

Advertisement
Back