2023 Recruiting

Advertisement
Matt Bewley, Sam Walters and Kris Parker are the best prospects I've seen in Florida's 2023 class. No question whatsoever to me that Miami should be giving these guys keys to the gym. I like a few others in this class, but to me these 3 are the cream of the crop. They're all big time prospects and future pros, possibly NBAers.

Matt Bewley, Sam Walters and Kris Parker are the best prospects I've seen in Florida's 2023 class. No question whatsoever to me that Miami should be giving these guys keys to the gym. I like a few others in this class, but to me these 3 are the cream of the crop. They're all big time prospects and future pros, possibly NBAers.

John Gamble from Port Charlotte, FL (Team Parsons) is a name to remember.

Advertisement

Scotty Middleton (Patrick School, Elizabeth, NJ/LAB 17U) 6-7 F 2023:
One of the best all-around talents and prospects at the event, Middleton can play a variety of positions and easily projects as a national Top 50-75 player on the low end. He can play on the ball and read defenses or can slash and score effectively. Middleton also can shoot the deep ball and can hit the pull-up three quite well for a young player his size. Patrick School, a FAB 50 ranked club that finished 14-1, was hit by COVID-19 and never really found its stride. According to coach Chris Chavannes, he was the back-up point guard, could play multiple positions and had as good an individual season as anyone on the talent-laden team.

He played at Columbus HS last year. He is a SFL kid.

I got to see Marvel Allen play today with E1T1 and he looked very good. His activity on both ends of the floor is what separates him from most of the other guards in Florida's 2023 class.

Another guard who was super impressive was Kris Parker. I can see why national pundits have him listed as a top 20 player nationally. He's a 6'6" PG with a a jump shot and athleticism. Very smooth with it.

How many of these guys will Larranaga kick off the team after the first year?

None because he does not recruit Florida kids.
That is why a coaching change needs to occur.
A new coach who recruits Florida kids could be really good in two years given the amount of basketball talent in the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
The 2023 class is as good a class as we've had in Florida in a very, very long time. There could be any where from 5-8 Florida kids ranked in the top 50 nationally by the time it's all said and done. Many national recruiting services are already rating the Bewley twins, Sam Walters, Kris Parker, John Gamble, Jayden Hastings, and Marvel Allen as top 50 prospects. There are a few others who have the potential to crack the list as well. The longer this staff remains in place, the harder it'll be for a new staff to pluck any of the top names for Miami if Larranaga and crew gets fired after next season.

The 2023 class is as good a class as we've had in Florida in a very, very long time. There could be any where from 5-8 Florida kids ranked in the top 50 nationally by the time it's all said and done. Many national recruiting services are already rating the Bewley twins, Sam Walters, Kris Parker, John Gamble, Jayden Hastings, and Marvel Allen as top 50 prospects. There are a few others who have the potential to crack the list as well. The longer this staff remains in place, the harder it'll be for a new staff to pluck any of the top names for Miami if Larranaga and crew gets fired after next season.

I agree but you need to make the change now. Now allows the new staff to recruit the 2022 class as they build momentum to the 2023 class.

Your 2022 class:

Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Eric Dailey Jr, Ben Middlebrooks and Ernest Udeh Jr. All of these guys reside in the "State of Miami".

Add in 2023:

Kris Parker, Marvel Allen, Matt Bewley, Ryan Bewley, Jaden Hasting, John Gamble, Sam Walters.

That would really be a upgrade in talent for Miami compared to the past three seasons.

Advertisement
Advertisement
None because he does not recruit Florida kids.
That is why a coaching change needs to occur.
A new coach who recruits Florida kids could be really good in two years given the amount of basketball talent in the 2022 and 2023 recruiting cycle.
This is the real key point. Two step process: (1) Wish Jim god speed, and (2) hire a charismatic young coach who will put the time and effort into a full-scale recruiting blitz -- no more Frank Haith's or Perry Clark's.

This is the real key point. Two step process: (1) Wish Jim god speed, and (2) hire a charismatic young coach who will put the time and effort into a full-scale recruiting blitz -- no more Frank Haith's or Perry Clark's.

Thank you. I remember when I said that two years ago, most fans did not like it that much.
Now, people are clearly.
That also means no to Rick Pitino, Frank Martin and John Beilein.
No "established or proven" coaches. Those words mean they are coming to Miami for one last paycheck before retirement.

Thank you. I remember when I said that two years ago, most fans did not like it that much.
Now, people are clearly.
That also means no to Rick Pitino, Frank Martin and John Beilein.
No "established or proven" coaches. Those words mean they are coming to Miami for one last paycheck before retirement.
Two years -- seems like a lifetime ago.

Leonard brought us a share of one Big East regular season championship. Jim brought us that highly-unlikely double, winning both the ACC regular season and Tournament championships. In 36 seasons since 1985, those are easily the high points in this program's history. Looking back though, none of that success was sustainable, for a variety of reasons.

Time to move on and go for that young, hungry coach who can recruit and develop talent that can annually compete for the ACC championship and more. From our position today, in the basement of the ACC, that seems a huge task. But ... as I and others have said, it's a goal FAR more easily achieved in basketball than in a football program.

Advertisement
Back