2023 College Baseball Season Thread

A lot of chalk on opening day of conference play. UVA took the opener over UNC in the most interesting series besides ours.

Advertisement

A lot to take in. But while most teams have pitching labs almost none garner the respect Wakes has. If you haven’t seen Wake play this year the size is noticeable; and the piece on the weight room shows why.

First big upset of conference play: BC swept a doubleheader from the Hokies today to take the series 2-1. Duke/Wake and UVA/UNC split doubleheaders with Wake and UVA taking their respective series.

Advertisement
Semiholes down 7 - 1 to BC in 8th inning of their rubber match. Link tossed, at home, arguing balls and strikes.

Did D1 overreact at the first sign of FSU having success?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Vols get swept to open SEC play. They’ve only won one game against a team that’s more than a game over .500

**** Tony, told my old man they were making a concentrated effort to overtake Florida as the most obnoxious team in baseball. He doesn’t watch college much and was surprised to hear that knowing my vitriol for the Turds.

Second comment, FSU is not good. Their homer *** broadcast talking about how solid BC is (not inaccurate, a hair shallow but they’ll go on the road and fight anyone if they stay healthy) and how they’ll be the eighth Top 25 ranked team in the ACC after this weekend completely purposefully not mentioning we swept the turkeys who should drop to borderline or out and ignoring the fact that they too, should drop out… because they stink.

Apologies for the Sunday rant, sometimes I visit to impart equilibrium, sometimes I visit to let someone help achieve the same.

Advertisement
For those who like to follow a little bit of everything. Some other levels of baseball have their usual star studded programs. Dinkel has Southeastern at 30-1 I believe in NAIA and #1 in the country, North Greenville is still #1 in D2 and just go the kid back who hit 3rd for the C. Republic in the WBC. Tampa as usual is right there with them. Central Florida is #1 in D1 Juco and are absolutely loaded. Hopefully we have been up to see them. They are 30-2 and not just playing a bunch of slap **** community colleges.

Advertisement
Started the week 12th in College Baseball Nation’s committee trained RPI+. The FIU win bumped our actual RPI up to 14th.

Advertisement
So… we dropped?
Our actual RPI was 17 at the end of the Wake series and is now 14th. The RPI+ takes in other factors (conference standings, etc) meant to mimic the behavior of the past committees. That was at 12th when we were 17th in the traditional RPI, but they only update it a couple times a week. Could be a spot or two higher now. Essentially, if it’s working right, it says that if the committee met this week we would host. It’s an interesting concept if nothing else.

Cole Turney, pretty high level recruit out of high school has landed at Cumberland (NAIA) and is having a video game like season. Short porch in RF but still. 3 of their last 4 series are against stronger teams so it will be interesting to see how he finishes. I mean if he goes 10-40 with no home runs its still a great season.

https://naiastats.prestosports.com/...south/teams/cumberlandtn?view=lineup&r=0&pos=

Cole Turney, pretty high level recruit out of high school has landed at Cumberland (NAIA) and is having a video game like season. Short porch in RF but still. 3 of their last 4 series are against stronger teams so it will be interesting to see how he finishes. I mean if he goes 10-40 with no home runs its still a great season.

https://naiastats.prestosports.com/...south/teams/cumberlandtn?view=lineup&r=0&pos=
His OPS is absurd at any level. It’s his 4th college stop and he’s 24 years old, though. He’s probably headed to Indy ball.

NC State took the first two from Louisville. Louisville is just 3-5 in ACC play.

Advertisement
Back