2023 ACC media days

Advertisement
Yeah, not sure why certain porsters are freaking out.

Just because you say something positive doesn't mean you are making a negative comparison to last year.

Everybody chill the **** out.
Certainly not freaking out. Simply stating that I (and probably most others) couldn’t care less about the level of someone’s humanity as it relates to a winning football program. I care about what level of football player or coach you are and how that impacts our record and success or lack of.

Being a Canes fan has largely sucked for the past 20 years. We’ve lost a lot of games. A LOT. And during that stretch we’ve been surrounded by elite, great, average and sub-par human beings. The results have been the same: garbage.

Win 9 games. Then do it again the following year. That happens and suddenly we aren’t talking about culture, or elite human beings, or leadership councils, or accountability or any of the other numerous bull**** things that float around losing programs and organizations.

Win or GTFO

Advertisement
Certainly not freaking out. Simply stating that I (and probably most others) couldn’t care less about the level of someone’s humanity as it relates to a winning football program. I care about what level of football player or coach you are and how that impacts our record and success or lack of.

Being a Canes fan has largely sucked for the past 20 years. We’ve lost a lot of games. A LOT. And during that stretch we’ve been surrounded by elite, great, average and sub-par human beings. The results have been the same: garbage.

Win 9 games. Then do it again the following year. That happens and suddenly we aren’t talking about culture, or elite human beings, or leadership councils, or accountability or any of the other numerous bull**** things that float around losing programs and organizations.

Win or GTFO

Good lord. There are a million things that our coaches and/or staff may talk about at times, including academic performance and community service efforts, that have nothing to do with our record. Doesn't mean we have to comment or critique every statement.

It's not necessary to freak the **** out every time you hear something positive that is not directly related to on-field performance.

And, yes, you are freaking out.

Let the positive comments go in one ear and out the other. It doesn't have to incite you to post.

God ****, some of you people choose to leap all over the most innocuous comments...

OK, we get it, you made the brilliant observation that you don't think that character or academics or service are related to the on-field performance. I mean, you're wrong, but that's your opinion.

Who would have thought that the worst thing that Mario would say at the ACC Media Days was a positive comment about the character of our players?

Advertisement
Good lord. There are a million things that our coaches and/or staff may talk about at times, including academic performance and community service efforts, that have nothing to do with our record. Doesn't mean we have to comment or critique every statement.

It's not necessary to freak the **** out every time you hear something positive that is not directly related to on-field performance.

And, yes, you are freaking out.

Let the positive comments go in one ear and out the other. It doesn't have to incite you to post.

God ****, some of you people choose to leap all over the most innocuous comments...

OK, we get it, you made the brilliant observation that you don't think that character or academics or service are related to the on-field performance. I mean, you're wrong, but that's your opinion.

Who would have thought that the worst thing that Mario would say at the ACC Media Days was a positive comment about the character of our players?
I’ll post what I want, when I want, about whatever I choose. Hit the ignore button if you choose.

You’re extrapolating what I commented on to a much broader statement. Mario said the coordinators he brought in are “elite human beings”. My point is, you can be a great person and suck at your job. If you disagree, that’s your opinion. But you’re wrong as well.

Some highlights:

-Mario Cristobal said Miami’s culture has taken “a monster step up” in the last few months
-seven new assistant coaches and 42 new players — 16 transfers and 26 recruits

-“I think the biggest step we took as a team culturally is leadership,” Van Dyke noted. “There’s 13 guys in the leadership council now compared to six last year.

75% of the team must vote for a player to be on the Leadership Council. Last year only TVD, defensive end Jahfari Harvey, receiver Xavier Restrepo, tight end Will Mallory (drafted in the fifth-round by Indianapolis), cornerback DJ Ivey (drafted in the seventh round by Cincinnati) and punter Lou Hedley were elected to the Council.

This year, center Matt Lee (UCF), defensive tackle Branson Deen (Purdue) and linebacker Francisco Mauigoa (Washington State) were three transfers voted to the council. In addition, seven returning players joined Van Dyke, Restrepo and Harvey: tight end Elijah Arroyo, linebacker Corey Flagg Jr., receiver Colbie Young, safeties James Williams and Kam Kinchens, defensive end Akheem Mesidor and offensive lineman Jalen Rivers were elected.

“Last year I don’t think anybody was saying anything and that was probably our biggest problem,” Kinchens said. “It’s not about being a leader, it’s about holding each other accountable and just being comfortable enough when you say something it’s not being disrespectful or stepping out of line.”

During the off season , the team has bonded while participating in a number of activities: trips to a Miami Heat playoff game, dinner at Joe Stone Crab, a day out on speed boats, a couple of hours at TopGolf, an afternoon at a local water park and a recent paintball tournament.

The Leadership Council has also done its own hangouts, including dinner at Morton’s Steakhouse and a day fishing on a charter boat. Flagg caught the biggest fish — an Amberjack. Arroyo caught a Barracuda. Rivers reeled in Tuna. Van Dyke said he caught Mahi and ate it.

Lee said he’s noticed a change in Miami’s locker room in the seven months since he first arrived on campus in January. There’s less whining and reluctance to be coached and fewer players are defensive when it comes to being criticized.

-Cristobal feels as though he addressed Miami’s biggest needs in the offseason roster rebuild. He wanted to recruit size and strength at the line of scrimmage, bring in experienced linebackers, depth at running back and find playmaking receivers. Some of those key additions arrived after the spring.

“With what we need and where we need to go, we need a great blend of young talent and experienced talent,” Cristobal said. “When you have that, you create legitimate competition and that really is one of the key factors to having a good culture.”

-

He announced he has Parkinson’s two years ago
Honestly dont remember that announcement **** my bad ugh thats definitely makes sense now! Hate to see it! that kinda disease is long and can take a toll on a person for years unfortunately

Advertisement

Donno on Locked On Canes said that when Cristobal got Lee to visit after he hit the portal, TVD flew down from CT (he was on Winter break) to meet up with Lee and convince him to be his Center. I had either forgotten that or not heard it before. Just a reminder that despite all the concerns about TVD, he knows Mario is looking out for him and has built a great offense around him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back