2023 5-star DE Hicks travels to UM for Paradise, impressed by Simpson

View as article
Advertisement
Lol Manny probably thought he had no shot so said ***** it I'm not going to waste the time. Meanwhile Mario's been here two months and texts the guy every day. That's the difference between a guy who shouldn't be a P5 HC and an Elite Recruiting HC.
Once he started losing, he didn't have a shot.

Bumping this thread. Hicks spoke to Rivals recently. He Is going to be visiting Miami in March during his break. Bringing his dad with him. His dad played LB at Grambling State before spending time with the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals. He also played in the CFL for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Hicks told Canesport that he didn't hear from Manny's staff for more than two months after he attended Paradise camp. Since Mario took over, he hears every day from Mario himself. Hicks put out a top 11 schools three months ago: Grambling State, LSU, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Clemson. He may revise that list by summer.
Jesus Christ. Manny offering kids then ghosting them seemed to be a common theme smdh “building fake momentum”

Hearing **** like that makes me wish we could line Manny and crew up and just each take turns kicking them in the nuts lol

Advertisement
We did not have a D-line commit under Simpson...I repeat...Not one

Maaaaayyybe we land Moten (doubt it) and I'm sure we scrape something from the portal....But we were dead to rights with no prayer on Stewart...No Kelly, No Moss
I thought Jaler "Soul Train" Holley was Simpsons recruit, No?

The more stories I hear the more it shocks me how much Manny just didnt seem to like recruiting. He was having pool parties, BBQs and all kinds of stuff on campus last offseason but I guess it was all BS.

One poster said it on here so I wont take credit but its clear that after we got embarassed by Bama..Manny just gave up on recruiting and pivoted to trying to save the season and his job.

We always overrated our own, players and coaches. We are elite at WR, RB and DE every single year... I think people let up on Jess because he came from the NFL and the other coaches were such easy targets.
facts but people mistake some NFL hires as good college hires when the two sports ask for staffers to do two completely different things. Different jobs IMO

Advertisement
Bumping this thread. Hicks spoke to Rivals recently. He Is going to be visiting Miami in March during his break. Bringing his dad with him. His dad played LB at Grambling State before spending time with the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals. He also played in the CFL for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
Hicks told Canesport that he didn't hear from Manny's staff for more than two months after he attended Paradise camp. Since Mario took over, he hears every day from Mario himself. Hicks put out a top 11 schools three months ago: Grambling State, LSU, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Clemson. He may revise that list by summer.

“Hicks told Canesport that he didn't hear from Manny's staff for more than two months after he attended Paradise camp.”

Yet, we have numbnuts, formerly known as slurpers aka slurp-derps, aka @$$holes on here trying to defend this dude! I’m so glad this dude is far, far, far away from this program. Got ****!

This. I was told Gerald Willis was made by Jess Simpson when I mentioned this. He was Jethro bad. Didn't recruit well and our Dline was meh overalll every season he was coach. Stroud > Jess all day everyday.
This times 1,000x.

I was against the rehiring of Jess on the 21 staff from day one.

After he got swooped for Kevin Harris in the 2019 class & missed nearly every other top DL we were after I knew he was no bueno. He only ever got hyped up on here because he coached as an assistant DT coach for the Falcons for a season & everyone tends to vastly overrate NFL coaches, but the majority of his career he was a HS coach.

Stroud was maligned & hated on, but he was by far the best DL recruiter we’ve had here in a long time, everybody loves him now, but I remember all the arguments I had with people over Stroud lol.

Allen (Tex.) High School 5-star DL David Hicks, Jr. visited Miami last year for Paradise Camp, and with the new Cane staff pushing hard he’s now set a Miami visit in March.

“I’m going to Miami during my March break,” said Hicks, who was re-offered by UM Dec. 22. “Mario Cristobal is texting me every day - they’ve been recruiting me ever since he took the job. He talks about what they like about me, how he needs me. I think the coaches are pretty cool.” He adds that “I don’t know where else I’ll be going yet (during the break).”
Miami fans may have given up on Hicks to some extent when he announced a top 11 three months ago that didn’t include Miami. Cristobal, though, never gave up.

That list: Grambling State, LSU, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Clemson. So if there was a new top 11 right now, would UM be on there? “I have to visit and see,” Hicks says.

He doesn’t anticipate putting out a new list of favorites until his summer break starts. As for a decision? “I’ll probably announce at the UA All-American game,” he says. Hicks also is working to graduate early, so it might be a case of he announces and then quickly enrolls. Hicks stresses he has no one in front out of the schools he’s considering.

CaneSport’s take
Hicks is a huge priority, and what was a bit strange about his recruitment by the prior staff was after his June visit for Paradise Camp he didn’t hear from UM again for more than two months. Now he says the new Cane coaches are pushing hard and the visit will be a big deal for Miami’s chances. Also of note: Hicks says he’ll take the Miami visit with his father. And dad played LB at Grambling State before spending time with the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals. He also played in the CFL for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

NATL
ST
POS
DAVID
HICKS JR.

UNDECIDED
6'4" | 255 LBS | SDE | 2023
ALLEN
ALLEN, TX

This times 1,000x.

I was against the rehiring of Jess on the 21 staff from day one.

After he got swooped for Kevin Harris in the 2019 class & missed nearly every other top DL we were after I knew he was no bueno. He only ever got hyped up on here because he coached as an assistant DT coach for the Falcons for a season & everyone tends to vastly overrate NFL coaches, but the majority of his career he was a HS coach.

Stroud was maligned & hated on, but he was by far the best DL recruiter we’ve had here in a long time, everybody loves him now, but I remember all the arguments I had with people over Stroud lol.
I argued with the same mouth breathers. Somehow coaching an undrafted All-American vaulted him to being some surreal D-line coach. Gimme the guy with 2 first rounders and multiple blue chip recruits over that .

Last edited:
Advertisement
College coaching is not for everyone, I know I couldn't do it.
I hate texting people I know imagine having to text a kid everyday as part of your job.
That's easily 100 texts a day for all the recriuts alone.

I'm to the point where I will fight anyone who tries to defend that abortion of a staph
“But he’s a nice guy, who loved the U. He did everything in his power to be successful because this was his dream job....it just didn’t work out for him.......”

Advertisement
“Hicks told Canesport that he didn't hear from Manny's staff for more than two months after he attended Paradise camp.”

Yet, we have numbnuts, formerly known as slurpers aka slurp-derps, aka @$$holes on here trying to defend this dude! I’m so glad this dude is far, far, far away from this program. Got ****!
“You can’t fire Manny it will hurt recruiting....”

Imagine having the top DL in his class from a top talent producing state pay his own way to come to your camp, participate in said camp and then you can’t even bother to send him a “Hey big head” text for 2 months

“But he’s a nice guy, who loved the U. He did everything in his power to be successful because this was his dream job....it just didn’t work out for him.......”
The funny thing is for someone who loved the U he didn’t show it in his efforts or his passion wasn’t there when recruiting or coaching smh oh well

Advertisement
Back