2023 4* DL John Walker (Commits to UCF)

NarrowAmazingIndianpalmsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
Would you be offended if I asked you your background?
Not at all! I was raised in the Midwest, and currently work for the Children's Hospital in KC. My background is in medical sales though so I have been doing business in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Missouri. I've never been to Miami, so it may just be a difference in party preferences is all. Also I'm only 30, so I don't want to hear anything about being old and washed up on my partying preferences. #GoCanes.

Go to live in bum **** for six days in a year. And as a player you don’t get to go to those parties cause you know you’re kind of playing
Have done that, and had several friends and former co-workers who were lucky enough to play D1 football, and they had plenty of time to party.. even in season. Great parties too.

Advertisement
When we are talking about transcripts it is not as black and white as some may think. It is not as simple as he failed a class he can take a summer course and he will be eligible.
Each team gets a few exceptions each year (I think it is 4 by NCAA rules).
What does that mean.... Kids can be unqualified for a multitude of reasons - a common one is they did not have a 2.0 in core classes by their JUNIOR year. Or they have not taken enough core credits by the end of their Jr year.
So essentially a student can have 2 or 3 different issues - each one of those issues would count as a exemption. Coaches must decide how to use those exemptions - do I spread them out and use them to help me get 4 different kids in or do I use 2 or 3 or all 4 exemptions on 1 kid?
Example - I coached a kid who finished with a 3.5 GPA and scored a 22 on his ACT (he did very well in college too) but he was lacking a history credit by his Jr year and the team had to use an exemption on him to get him to be eligible to play.
Essentially he was eligible to go to the University but he would not have been eligible to be on scholarship and play if it weren't for their willingness to use that exemption on him.

This was 5 or 6 years ago - it seems like the rules are always changing. So I could be way off on my explanation. Counselors & Coaches must do a good job of staying up to date on rules or kids will get screwed.
Every college coach that comes to recruit a kid asks for a transcript first thing. He will then pass it off to a compliance officer who will let him know if the kid is on track or if exemptions would be needed. I have had plenty of coaches walk away. Some have said things like he is a good player but he isn't a 3 exemption good player.

I am no expert on this matter but this is how I think it works.

Not at all! I was raised in the Midwest, and currently work for the Children's Hospital in KC. My background is in medical sales though so I have been doing business in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Missouri. I've never been to Miami, so it may just be a difference in party preferences is all. Also I'm only 30, so I don't want to hear anything about being old and washed up on my partying preferences. #GoCanes.
I actually just picked up a penthouse in KC. Haven't even been there yet. But that makes sense. Myself I have a few homes and spend most of my time between Miami,ny,la & Vegas... I'll pass on Ames or any place like it as it's not my type of party. Far as tailgating goes however I think we just experience it in a very different way that for me is inferior to most real college towns. I went to my share of games after I retired and I'll agree it's a whole different vibe to tailgate in a real college town. But players don't experience any of that and honestly it's the only positives to that environment for a player.

Advertisement
When we are talking about transcripts it is not as black and white as some may think. It is not as simple as he failed a class he can take a summer course and he will be eligible.
Each team gets a few exceptions each year (I think it is 4 by NCAA rules).
What does that mean.... Kids can be unqualified for a multitude of reasons - a common one is they did not have a 2.0 in core classes by their JUNIOR year. Or they have not taken enough core credits by the end of their Jr year.
So essentially a student can have 2 or 3 different issues - each one of those issues would count as a exemption. Coaches must decide how to use those exemptions - do I spread them out and use them to help me get 4 different kids in or do I use 2 or 3 or all 4 exemptions on 1 kid?
Example - I coached a kid who finished with a 3.5 GPA and scored a 22 on his ACT (he did very well in college too) but he was lacking a history credit by his Jr year and the team had to use an exemption on him to get him to be eligible to play.
Essentially he was eligible to go to the University but he would not have been eligible to be on scholarship and play if it weren't for their willingness to use that exemption on him.

This was 5 or 6 years ago - it seems like the rules are always changing. So I could be way off on my explanation. Counselors & Coaches must do a good job of staying up to date on rules or kids will get screwed.
Every college coach that comes to recruit a kid asks for a transcript first thing. He will then pass it off to a compliance officer who will let him know if the kid is on track or if exemptions would be needed. I have had plenty of coaches walk away. Some have said things like he is a good player but he isn't a 3 exemption good player.

I am no expert on this matter but this is how I think it works.

Definitely off on a couple of things.

First, the NCAA passed a rule (which is often called "academic redshirt"), where if a kid does not have the core GPA and core coursework BY THE END OF THE JUNIOR YEAR, he will need to sit out his freshman year. That does NOT mean they didn't qualify for admission. They DID qualify for admission. But the NCAA rule says they have to sit out for that year. The kid can be admitted, the kid can be on scholarship, the kid can practice, but the kid cannot play in games.

Second, that is different from whether a school wants to GAMBLE with an academic redshirt or other academic risk. So while a school may grant a coach a certain number of "exemptions", this is more of an internal policy, not an NCAA policy. Again, the NCAA does not grant any exemptions from the Academic Redshirt rule, which was put in place to prevent kids who "suddenly" retake 3 years of high school classes during their senior years.

I realize there may be some confusion on "exemptions", but the NCAA does not have any such rules. The schools themselves probably allow a coach some limited number of deviations from the norm, because they are ultimately concerned with Academic Progress Ratings. Schools that fall below a certain APR number for multiple years can lose scholarships.

I'm not sure what year you worked with the kid you mentioned, but the Academic Redshirt rules went into effect in 2016. It might be possible that the school did not want to take very many Academic Redshirts, but I'm fairly certain that the NCAA does not have any numerical "exemptions" from such a rule. Maybe the coach explained it as an NCAA rule, but I'm willing to bet it was a school rule. It might have been possible for a recruit to appeal the NCAA rule, particularly with the academic criteria you cited, but there are not certain number of NCAA-granted exemptions, otherwise nobody would ever fall victim to the rule, as there aren't 5 or more such kids on every college team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back