2023-24 Canes Hoops Schedule

This is good non-conference schedule in that we play UGA, , Colorado, UK and hopefully KSU (or even Providence) which should have us ready for ACC play. Last season was a really skilled team. This season maybe the most fun to watch team we have had in a long time.

Advertisement
LOL, you have us to losing to any non conference team with a pulse. This roster is much better than the 16/17 and quite frankly the 17/18 team, especially once Brown got lost for the season.

Walker was a 1st round picks while Brown was a 2nd round pick who probably goes in the 1st round if he doesn't get injured.
Wong was the ACC Player of the Year and he went in the 2nd round, Miller was an All ACC player and he was a 2nd round pick. Both are gone.
On the current roster, your two best players is a 5'10? PG who takes a Pack of bad 3s during the game and a 6'7 C who is a great rebounder but is very limited offensive outside of an offensive rebound dunk.
Which player on this year's team is a 1st or 2nd round pick?
I am not drinking the Kool Aid that they have improved their skills over the past 5 months.

Walker was a 1st round picks while Brown was a 2nd round pick who probably goes in the 1st round if he doesn't get injured.
Wong was the ACC Player of the Year and he went in the 2nd round, Miller was an All ACC player and he was a 2nd round pick. Both are gone.
On the current roster, your two best players is a 5'10? PG who takes a Pack of bad 3s during the game and a 6'7 C who is a great rebounder but is very limited offensive outside of an offensive rebound dunk.
I am not drinking the Kool Aid that they have improved their skills over the past 5 months.
Wooga is a likely draft pick. Cleveland could be, too. If Omier flashes an improved perimeter game, he's got a shot, as well.

Pack doesn't take a lot of bad 3s. He's a 41.6% career 3pt shooter on nearly 7 attempts per game. He's never shot less than 40% from 3 in a season. He's extremely efficient from long range.

Yes, offensive rebound dunks are awesome lol. Omier is a force. He's also fairly skilled and should be poised to take another step forward.

Why would you not believe that guys improve their skills over the summer? Wong improved dramatically over his 4 years at Miami. Miller went from Miami's 4th or 5th best starter in his first year, to our arguably the best player on a final 4 team. It's really silly to assume our players won't be better year-over-year.

In all seriousness, what happened to you? You used to be unreasonably positive about this program, and then when we finally have good teams, you completely change your tune. It's honestly sad.

Wooga is a likely draft pick. Cleveland could be, too. If Omier flashes an improved perimeter game, he's got a shot, as well.

Pack doesn't take a lot of bad 3s. He's a 41.6% career 3pt shooter on nearly 7 attempts per game. He's never shot less than 40% from 3 in a season. He's extremely efficient from long range.

Yes, offensive rebound dunks are awesome lol. Omier is a force. He's also fairly skilled and should be poised to take another step forward.

Why would you not believe that guys improve their skills over the summer? Wong improved dramatically over his 4 years at Miami. Miller went from Miami's 4th or 5th best starter in his first year, to our arguably the best player on a final 4 team. It's really silly to assume our players won't be better year-over-year.

In all seriousness, what happened to you? You used to be unreasonably positive about this program, and then when we finally have good teams, you completely change your tune. It's honestly sad.

He’s been grousing about how L recruits and manages the roster for years.

Now he appears to be mad that we’ve achieved historic success without following his desired strategy.

Pack taking a lot of bad threes is another laugher on top of so many totally absurd statements (he recently said freshman should play 10 min/game if they were good enough to receive a scholarship).

Advertisement

Now he appears to be mad that we’ve achieved historic success without following his desired strategy.

Pack taking a lot of bad threes is another laugher on top of so many totally absurd statements (he recently said freshman should play 10 min/game if they were good enough to receive a scholarship).
Was Miller a second round draft pick going into 22/23? His is just a silly take. Hope we have Wooga and Cleveland for 2 years. Both have the potential to get drafted in the 1st. Only thing holding Omier back is his height. He shows a midrange this year and he is a take. In any case, he is an All Conference player. Joseph will be in the discussion as conference 6th man. Pack is a career 42% sniper.

He brings up Walker which is silly. He was drafted based on potential. Freshman Walker would be the 3rd or 4th scoring option on this year's team.

Was Miller a second round draft pick going into 22/23? His is just a silly take. Hope we have Wooga and Cleveland for 2 years. Both have the potential to get drafted in the 1st. Only thing holding Omier back is his height. He shows a midrange this year and he is a take. In any case, he is an All Conference player. Joseph will be in the discussion as conference 6th man. Pack is a career 42% sniper.

He brings up Walker which is silly. He was drafted based on potential. Freshman Walker would be the 3rd or 4th scoring option on this year's team.

Agree 100%.

His posts have become so silly/absurd that they don’t even really merit substantive responses… but I love your response because your points are great and your post is a fun conversation to have.

Gotta be careful about setting unrealistic expectations but Wooga has a better shot than Wong and is way more athletic than Wong. Wong has more wiggle and a better handle and is an elite “bucket-getter”… But I think Wooga might actually bring a little more consistency/stability.

Here’s how I see it (crazy… maybe)

Pack ‘23 > Pack ‘22
Wooga ‘23 > Wong ‘22
Bens ‘23 < Wooga ‘22
Cleveland ‘23 < Miller ‘22 (but could be closer than some think)
Omier ‘23 > Omier ‘22

Casey ‘23 > Walker ‘22
Watson ‘23 < Bev ‘22
Robinson ‘23 < Bev ‘22
Nwoko ‘23 > Aire ‘22

George is a wild card who could meaningfully contribute.

We have 4 guys who can legitimately find their way onto an all-conference team.

I’ve heard great things about Cleveland during summer runs with the NBA guys.

There's a reason why a good portion of this board doesn't like you and this is example 4000 right here.

Advertisement

Dude is the biggest slapdick here and that's saying something

Agree 100%.

His posts have become so silly/absurd that they don’t even really merit substantive responses… but I love your response because your points are great and your post is a fun conversation to have.

Gotta be careful about setting unrealistic expectations but Wooga has a better shot than Wong and is way more athletic than Wong. Wong has more wiggle and a better handle and is an elite “bucket-getter”… But I think Wooga might actually bring a little more consistency/stability.

Here’s how I see it (crazy… maybe)

Pack ‘23 > Pack ‘22
Wooga ‘23 > Wong ‘22
Bens ‘23 < Wooga ‘22
Cleveland ‘23 < Miller ‘22 (but could be closer than some think)
Omier ‘23 > Omier ‘22

Casey ‘23 > Walker ‘22
Watson ‘23 < Bev ‘22
Robinson ‘23 < Bev ‘22
Nwoko ‘23 > Aire ‘22

George is a wild card who could meaningfully contribute.

We have 4 guys who can legitimately find their way onto an all-conference team.

Looking for Watson to blow up this year...

Advertisement
I was all excited about the Bahamas tourney until I realized we are playing in the one before thanksgiving. Still think I’m going to go but was really looking forward to thanksgiving in the Bahamas mixed with Canes hoops… tough to beat that

Looking for Watson to blow up this year...

I tried to be super conservative in my expectations for Watson and George… but I think they both have a chance to make a big impact.

I said Bev > Watson but there’s a better than decent chance that Watson outperforms what Bev gave us last year.

Why the heck would we want to have Omier showcase a "perimeter game?" We've got plenty of outside shooters, very few inside forces like Omier is. (Omier actually has a more-than-decent 3 pt shot according to Coach L himself.) I'll be happy to see Norchad give us a midrange game to go with his fierce play in and around the hoop.

Advertisement

Dude, go touch grass. Seriously. This act is getting old, and it's making this board unreadable.

Miami is returning two All-ACC talents in Omier and Pack, never mind Wooga, a dude that has taken huge steps forward in his development. There's a reason why people are looking at him as Wong's replacement, don't be shocked if he puts up similar numbers. He's already a better three shooter than Wong at this stage of his development, more athletic and a better defender. Never mind that Miami found a legit 4th option in Cleveland, who will likely thrive in a system that allows him to pick his spots, instead of carrying the offense.

Should we expect another Final Four appearance? No, because it's folly to expect a deep run, in a single elimination tournament, it's almost random happenstance. That said, Miami should be firmly in the top half of the bracket, which means they will have a legit shot to go on another run.

Why are people assuming we ducked FAU? We've played them before, even played @FAU 2 years ago.

It takes 2 teams to schedule a game. Coach L might have tried and they said no or the scheduling didn't work. I don't get the obsession on this board with complaining (and somehow being sure its Miami's fault) that FAU isn't on the schedule.
We have dumbass fans, there I said it. Rad can't put a gun to the FAU's AD's head and MAKE him schedule a game. Maybe the scheduling didn't work, or maybe their coaches don't want that game for whatever reason. Who knows. That said, the OOC slate looks solid. You have some headline OOC matchups, and a lot of "You need to at least try, but it shouldn't require a herculean effort" games. You want to make sure you get comfortable before conference play, and you sure as **** don't want to beat yourself up before the real grind starts.

Dude, go touch grass. Seriously. This act is getting old, and it's making this board unreadable.

Miami is returning two All-ACC talents in Omier and Pack, never mind Wooga, a dude that has taken huge steps forward in his development. There's a reason why people are looking at him as Wong's replacement, don't be shocked if he puts up similar numbers. He's already a better three shooter than Wong at this stage of his development, more athletic and a better defender. Never mind that Miami found a legit 4th option in Cleveland, who will likely thrive in a system that allows him to pick his spots, instead of carrying the offense.

Should we expect another Final Four appearance? No, because it's folly to expect a deep run, in a single elimination tournament, it's almost random happenstance. That said, Miami should be firmly in the top half of the bracket, which means they will have a legit shot to go on another run.
Well said! To illustrate your point, we very easily could have gone out of the NCAAT in that first round game against Drake.

Why the heck would we want to have Omier showcase a "perimeter game?" We've got plenty of outside shooters, very few inside forces like Omier is. (Omier actually has a more-than-decent 3 pt shot according to Coach L himself.) I'll be happy to see Norchad give us a midrange game to go with his fierce play in and around the hoop.

5 out offense took a team to the elite 8 that really had no business being there on most roster composition metrics.

Omier being a true 3 point threat would just be another weapon for our high ball screen offense… you’d only want him actually pulling the trigger on really good open looks.

But man the spacing possibilities with Pack (40%+) Bens (39%+) Poplar (38%+) Cleveland (35%) and Omier at 34%+ would be INSANE.

Advertisement
Back