2022 season outlook

I prefer to consider the season outcome based on where we are ranked at the end of the year. To some degree it is interchangeable with record but I just prefer to compare us to the entire NCAA and not just our schedule.

I see us as coming out somewhere in the middle of the top 25. Until we see evidence to the contrary, that is what the recruitment rankings say. Based on the yearly rankings for the last 5 years, we have been bouncing around between #8 to #17. It is fair to expect our results to mimic our talent level. Anything above is unrealistic and anything below is disappointing.

So here is how it shakes out for me based on season ending ranking.
#1-#4 =Somebody check the Hecht for animal sacrifices because it would require some serious supernatural JuJu to make that happen
#5-#10 =Very pleasant surprise. Not out of the question but will take some breaks
#11-#15 =Meets Expectations
#16-#25 =Mildly to Significant Disappointment.
Unranked =Disastrous and a setback

That is my framework for judging the season.

Advertisement
Mario said John Campbell is gonna be one of the best players in the conference/nation this year. Idt he thinks the shelves are as bare as this board thinks they are. That’s just one example of it.

Advertisement
Here's what I see: last year's team, behind that underqualified staph, and with more question marks than this year's team has, was only a few plays away from going 10-2 against (arguably) a tougher schedule than this season's, particularly when you consider the overall strength of the rest of the ACC...which lost a few starting QBs. We've made significant upgrades to the roster and the coaching staff...which means we now have a real defensive scheme and not Manny's Tecmo Bowl defense. TVD is a year older and now has experience as the team's leader. The energy around the program is undeniable. Yeah it's a new staff and scheme, but continuity didn't matter when we were losing to App State in the 2nd half at home last year. This should look like a well-oiled machine at some point this season. If the team can gel in training camp and the first two games...a win at A&M could do unspeakable things for the momentum I mentioned and the '23 recruiting class. Regardless, I just don't see 3 or 4 losses. Teams have done some very big things with just an elite QB and less talent than we have on this squad.
Even without the talent upgrades on the defense, the simple fact that we have a staff that already said they are going to focus on better tackling, and have the credentials to be trusted to do so, is worth at least 2-3 wins in games we would have lost last year. Our tackling was historically bad.

Advertisement
WR is the weakest spot on this team. Don't have a go-to WR like Rambo next year. Right now, all I see are a lot of nice/complimentary WRs.
We didn't know Rambo was a go-to receiver until we saw it as the season progressed. When we brought him in he was mostly viewed as a valuable, experienced wr to help the room, but many complained that he wasn't a gamebreaker based on his production at OU, and his drops in camp and scrimmages. We don't know yet what we have at WR in a healthy Ladson, newcomer Isaiah Horton, or K. Smith or one of the young guys having a breakout season. The room is a big question mark, not a definite weak point now.

10_2 probably the ceiling. 8_4 the floor. Too many unknowns but coaching staff alone should help a lot. Would love to see a miracle season but that is asking a lot

We can EASILY make the playoffs.

Beating Bama and UGA is an uphill climb. We can take anyone else.
That might be pushing it a bit. Nothing about winning in college station or Clemson will be easy, & we will more than likely need to run the table to get in. I can also see a win at aTm, loss at Clemson and beating them in the ACCCG rematch getting us in depending on what happens with other teams. Definitely within reach, but easy or likely? Not so sure.

Advertisement
I tend to agree with all you say, and believe OL will dictate our success this season based on being the weakest unit the last several years. They are the unit to watch because they set the tone for everything we do as an offensive unit; WR, RB, TE, QB will be better with a strong OL unit and a more balanced offensive attack.

I believe there is enough talent on defense to compete in the ACC. Years past discipline and tackling have been poor, but coach
Steele and Strong are are known for very physical defensive units that compete at the highest level.

Looking forward to hearing about the competition on Greentree.

Last edited:
That might be pushing it a bit. Nothing about winning in college station or Clemson will be easy, & we will more than likely need to run the table to get in. I can also see a win at aTm, loss at Clemson and beating them in the ACCCG rematch getting us in depending on what happens with other teams. Definitely within reach, but easy or likely? Not so sure.

No way they keep us out as one loss Acc champ with our schedule.

Easily was a bit strong but you know what I mean. Our toughest opponents are vulnerable due to quarterback play. We will need some luck and pull out some tough games as the favorite. But a one loss season is very durable. Won’t mean we are ready for the big boys, but we can definitely do what Michigan State did last year and with an easier schedule to boot.

No way they keep us out as one loss Acc champ with our schedule.

Easily was a bit strong but you know what I mean. Our toughest opponents are vulnerable due to quarterback play. We will need some luck and pull out some tough games as the favorite. But a one loss season is very durable. Won’t mean we are ready for the big boys, but we can definitely do what Michigan State did last year and with an easier schedule to boot.
Unfortunately, in today's landscape, they're viable to put in a 2-loss SEC team or Ohio State ahead of us with 1 loss. They'd point to the weakness of the ACC from top to bottom. A big win early in the season at A&M might change that tune, especially if A&M has some quality wins within the league afterward. But I honestly think that in Mario's year one, before establishing anything here and considering our recent history, we will need to run the table.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, in today's landscape, they're viable to put in a 2-loss SEC team or Ohio State ahead of us with 1 loss. They'd point to the weakness of the ACC from top to bottom. A big win early in the season at A&M might change that tune, especially if A&M has some quality wins within the league afterward. But I honestly think that in Mario's year one, before establishing anything here and considering our recent history, we will need to run the table.

I don’t see it.

Two SEC teams at most. That leaves B1G champ and one spot. The Big 12 and Pac 12 champ ain’t going undefeated. We have the better resume with one loss.

The only monkey wrench would be Notre Dame if the SEC gets two and big champ loses no more than one.

Would you expect him to say any different?

Why not just say we are excited about his potential and the way he prepares?

Why would the guy who banished the Turnover Chain participate in baseless hype?

Does Mario have a track record of overhyping players he doesn’t believe in?

To those saying I'm just drinking the Kool Aid, I'll point out that my prediction of not seeing 3-4 losses & an ACC championship/CFP appearance "being within reach" is saying the same thing as someone predicting 10-2 (even 9-3), which is potentially just 1 (or 2) games away from achieving those goals. The alternative would be pretty much thinking we'll fare the same against the elite teams on the schedule this year (A&M, Clemson) as we did last year (Bama, MSU) while still losing ACC games we should win...in other words, no improvement in spite of the staff, roster, & facilities (among other) upgrades. But I can understand the mere mention of these shiny things being scary. The PTSD is real...you all are some battered wife syndromed motherfukkers (understandably so).

We'll see the tune around here after we stomp BCU & Southern Miss & look like a new team doing it.

I dropped passes and missed tackles gets solved, we will have a great year. By the way, our ST's are solid and if we find a great returner, anything is possible.

Advertisement
Back