2021 WR Chase Smith receives offer

6'4 185lbs 3-star ATH out of Palm Bay goes to 6A school Bayside

Dual sport athlete that plays both Football & Basketball.

Is a versatile dynamic athlete that plays WR/S/LB, had a great Junior season with 50rec 716yds 8TD's on offense & 72tcks 18TFL's 4INT's 4 sacks & 4 Defensive TD's.

Big body WR with great hands & very good route running, understands how to stack defenders, high points the ball & can stretch the field. Is good enough to play both sides of the ball, as a LB is a very good Sam Backer that gets after the ball carrier with sideline to sideline speed & very good tackler.

Holds offers from Oklahoma, Kentucky, Nebraska & Pitt

Ironic....to this day I remember his dad Willie Smith making a big catch for us down the sideline against Oklahoma in '85.

Advertisement
Watching this kid's tape, everytime I think I've decided which side of the ball I'd rather see him on, he makes a play on the other side to make me change my mind. Like others in this thread, I think I'll just decide on "just get him on the team and figure it out later". Would be thrilled to add this kid at whatever position he wants.

Just watched that film, my gawd. I echo what most have already said but 9/10 I’m in the ball park of putting jumbo athletes like this on the defensive side of the ball. Just sign em first.
Hope this kid has some feelings for UM as a family thing. Many kids do. But even some end up going elsewhere.

Different school in palm Bay I think. Cookie's school was a powerhouse for a while. We tried to recruit there but most kids went to UF. I remember Larry Coker doing an 8 hour in-home at Joe Cohen's house. Still Cohen went to UF but did not become elite in college. There was a safety whose name I can't remember but he had a very good career including I think in the pros. I think they all went to the same school in Palm Bay as Ramon. I believe it's different from Chase Smith's school.

Interesting how schools move up and down in their role as powers. Palm Bay was a powerhouse for a while, maybe not now.

There were times when Vero was, the Pensacola schools, and then they kind of drop down. I'm talking about going back into the '80's.

I believe the urban and suburban schools in South Florida tend to be more consistently good.
Palm bay fell off hard when coach burke Burke wouldn't adjust to the talent levels. He had a crazy talented group with cohen and reggie nelson, also neefy moffet and xavier Carter who went to fsu and lsu. Grow up with all those guys and remember seeing Miami coaches come to our school but knew joe and reggie were never not going to Florida. And since heritage opened up seems like the talent is spread a little thin in palm bay

Advertisement
Guys like this are exactly why we dont need to be recruiting a guy from Washington st. These are the type of players we need to recruit on both sides of the ball. Like you guys have all said just get him here and figure it out later where he plays.

So you two say its dumb but can't add to anything as to why you think other wise. Good job fellas way to bring something to the table.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
What position do You think he will play in college
It's difficult to say... I think he could legitimately be a WR, TE or LB.

I like him better at WR, he could have an immediate impact & get on the field much quicker at WR.

He also could be a very good pass rushing Sam Backer at LB, but probably wouldn't be able to play as TF, he would help with depth at LB but his development would take a lil longer.

I like him at Wide Out as a big bodied X-WR, we need some tall playmakers in the WR group, but I wouldn't be mad if he got put on Defense & developed into a LB.

Last edited:
Watched his highlights again and this he looks like a future Day 2 pick at LB. Multi sport athlete, productive on both sides of the ball, long arms, smooth mover, All-American bloodline. What's not to like?

The plays at 2:30 and 4:20 jump out to me. You can't teach the ability to plant and change directions like he does at 4:40. Play at 1:10 shows his passion and could be an early contributor on special teams. Has a nose for the ball picking up fumbles and intercepting deflected passes. Gets in the backfield for a bunch of TFLs. If he doesn't get the rb in the backfield, he uses his long arms to turn potential gains of 4-8 yards to a 2-3 yard gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched his highlights again and this he looks like a future Day 2 pick at LB. Multi sport athlete, productive on both sides of the ball, long arms, smooth mover, All-American bloodline. What's not to like?

The plays at 2:30 and 4:20 jump out to me. You can't teach the ability to plant and change directions like he does at 4:40. Play at 1:10 shows his passion and could be an early contributor on special teams. Has a nose for the ball picking up fumbles and intercepting deflected passes. Gets in the backfield for a bunch of TFLs. If he doesn't get the rb in the backfield, he uses his long arms to turn potential gains of 4-8 yards to a 2-3 yard gain.
If put on D will staff let him play as a true linebacker or turn him into a striker ?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back