2021 Spring - Final Thoughts

Advertisement
Cam Harris looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.... Never seen a RB his size get tackled so eazy. With his size and speed he should never be brought down by wimpy arm tackles
🤣🤣 nah mane he just a 1 cut guy. So if his blockers get pushed back he's not the guy who makes a jump cut or can outrun the DEF to the sideline.

🤣🤣 nah mane he just a 1 cut guy. So if his blockers get pushed back he's not the guy who makes a jump cut or can outrun the DEF to the sideline.
Not a big fan of his. Just feel like he doesn't run as hard as he could. Chaney and Knighton are both smaller and it's a lot more difficult to bring then down, they both run harder.

Player evaluations matter. Regardless of what the player's ranking is or whether he is a local talent. The LB evaluations to me were poor, to put it mildly. If a player hasn't done read reacts, shown instincts, stacked and shed blocks in high school what makes you think he will be able to do it in college. Our LB room is filled with guys that have no instincts, are undersized, a couple steps too slow and they are accustomed to rushing blindly upfield.

Any team we play with a physical OL will build their game plan on running between the tackles. Our DTs are not good enough to cover up for the inadequacies we have at LB.

Man I saw 2 three hundred plus pounders at DT, and Dre looked well put together at DE. I didn’t say man we look small up front.

the only position I feel we are “small” is WR and LB.
It could also have been the OL looked enormous and they didn’t let the DL do 💩. Thing is Bama OL maybe the best in the country and with what we put out Saturday we aren’t going to do anything defensively

Advertisement
Good write up the part about Gaynor is baffling I have never seen anything good from him. Williams seemed like our second best lineman last season to me has he taken a step back nothing positive from him this spring?

Good write up the part about Gaynor is baffling I have never seen anything good from him. Williams seemed like our second best lineman last season to me has he taken a step back nothing positive from him this spring?
Williams was ok in pass pro but wasnt that good in the run game. They want to be more physical up front this year and while scaife isn’t a powerhouse he is better at run blocking on the edge than williams.

Seems like there are many guys that don’t fit the mold at many positions.

we have so many guys that have one issue or another. Goes to show the staffs player evaluations are ******* terrible.

What are you talking about? Most of the board is psyched about the roster we just saw in the spring game. OL looks like the best in years. QB room is the best in years. RB is stacked. TE is solid. WR Corps has three talented homegrown WRs in Harley, X, and Smith and a top transfer in Rambo. You are being a sourpuss because of Pope and Wiggins- two guys that literally not a single coach on the offensive staff were involved in recruiting or evaluating? If anything, Likens should be applauded for the WR evals and development since he arrived.

On defense, who has issues? All the safeties, strikers, and CBs, and DTs fit the mold just fine. Miami didn't miss on player evals at CB, we didn't get enough talent to begin with because of a certain CB coach who is no longer coaching. "Missing on an eval" imo means getting a top player who fails to live up to potential. We have overachievers at CB and they look much better in spring. There is no issue of players not fitting the mold at DE, we just have a lot of youth. Taylor is a top talent at DT but will probably play DE because he's a true freshman and needs a bit more size. That's not a bad player eval or him being a tweener. The only position that possibly fits the definition of "bad evals" by the current staff is LB. But that too is a mixed bag. The lowest rated LB according to the recruiting sites, Flagg, is turning out to be the best. That's an excellent eval. Brooks is hurt. He looks talented and fits the mold for a MLB. Smith at WLB is a great move and he also fits the mold of a Miami LB.

Advertisement
Williams was ok in pass pro but wasnt that good in the run game. They want to be more physical up front this year and while scaife isn’t a powerhouse he is better at run blocking on the edge than williams.
That's why switch to Scaife is weird they both struggle with run blocking but I think Williams was more consistent is pass pro.

Putting a guy who struggled in pass pro in tight spaces playing guard (Scaife) outside to have him in pass pro in more space vs twitchier and most of the time longer guys doesn’t really sound like a great idea to me but what do I know.

Scaife has regressed. Williams isn’t a powerful guy but he more than got the job done IMO.

Overall a good game and lots of talent. I don’t want to make too much of an assessment about the O and D lines because its too hard to gauge without blitzes and schemes. But there was a lot to like, especially with quarterbacks and receivers.

Wiggins and Ivey are who we thought they were. Dropped passes by #8, missed tackles by #8. Maybe its the jersey number but Darnell Jenkins was pretty good. Ivey looks like tarzan but plays like Jane.

I’m not trying to get down on last year’s receivers but with Pope do we pay more attention to his getting open and his catches, or his drop on the easy pass down the sideline?

Rambo, Keyshawn Smith and Johnson were the best receivers, and we already know Harley can play. It is obvious that Harley has nothing left to prove and was not featured.

Avantae generally looked good but he has to make the tackle on Knighton’s run. A high level safety has to clean up that run and hold it to a 10 yard gain. I am confident that will come with playing.

The Smith boys; Chase and Keontra, certainly add speed. Once Chase gets used to where he needs to be, his future is through the roof barring injury. He just seems to have "It".

The Kinchens INT was good read and a play we have to have at safety. We need turnovers and that means players looking to make a play in addition to making a tackle.

I thought TVD and Garcia both played well and both will do well. My concern is what will the loser of that battle do in 2022? I would love to keep both, add Brown, and create real depth at the position.

Overall a good game and lots of talent. I don’t want to make too much of an assessment about the O and D lines because its too hard to gauge without blitzes and schemes. But there was a lot to like, especially with quarterbacks and receivers.

Wiggins and Ivey are who we thought they were. Dropped passes by #8, missed tackles by #8. Maybe its the jersey number but Darnell Jenkins was pretty good. Ivey looks like tarzan but plays like Jane.

I’m not trying to get down on last year’s receivers but with Pope do we pay more attention to his getting open and his catches, or his drop on the easy pass down the sideline?

Rambo, Keyshawn Smith and Johnson were the best receivers, and we already know Harley can play. It is obvious that Harley has nothing left to prove and was not featured.

Avantae generally looked good but he has to make the tackle on Knighton’s run. A high level safety has to clean up that run and hold it to a 10 yard gain. I am confident that will come with playing.

The Smith boys; Chase and Keontra, certainly add speed. Once Chase gets used to where he needs to be, his future is through the roof barring injury. He just seems to have "It".

The Kinchens INT was good read and a play we have to have at safety. We need turnovers and that means players looking to make a play in addition to making a tackle.

I thought TVD and Garcia both played well and both will do well. My concern is what will the loser of that battle do in 2022? I would love to keep both, add Brown, and create real depth at the position.

Leave, 1000%.

Advertisement
Transfer out
That's the unfortunate probability.
At the Spring Game when they did the piece on Schnelly they listed the QB's he had for 5 years at UM; Kelly, Kosar and Testeverde. It seems like an almost impossibility that today a guy like Vinny would sit for 2 years behind Kosar waiting for his turn, even if it did mean winning a Heisman and playing for 20 years in the NFL.

Advertisement
Whichever one of those guys loses the battle, is gone. Stick around for what? That’s the way it goes nowadays unfortunately.
Agree. Whereas I like the transfer portal and its use at UM, I also think there are so many kids who would benefit from staying in a program for 3-4 years, work their way up a chart and find success at the end.
Basketball is almost worse with kids switching schools seemingly every year. And yet the same number of players are drafted so what is the actual benefit to most players from transferring?

That's the unfortunate probability.
At the Spring Game when they did the piece on Schnelly they listed the QB's he had for 5 years at UM; Kelly, Kosar and Testeverde. It seems like an almost impossibility that today a guy like Vinny would sit for 2 years behind Kosar waiting for his turn, even if it did mean winning a Heisman and playing for 20 years in the NFL.
Yeah, those days are history. Would never happen today. Funny thing is Richt would probably have been the first in the portal, leaving for Florida Atlantic.

No way. Scaife is much better at Tackle than at Guard. Do you even watch games?
And we don't have the depth at CB for Ivey to move to Safety.
Yes i watch the games but i was being very kind to the fact that neither Ivey or Gaynor can play...........being kind to say the least.........by moving Ivey it states just that........any lineup with Gaynor in it is a Liability.......

Advertisement
Back