2021 Scholarship Count

Advertisement
am i looking at it too simply, but for any team to get from 85 to 100 they'd have to increase the IC also?

Advertisement
Yeah i seen that also, but seniors aren't gonna count towards the extra year this year, its next year hence the extra year. And, if roster limits go up its only f4 a calender year Or so i heard?

am i looking at it too simply, but for any team to get from 85 to 100 they'd have to increase the IC also?
Yeah you would think so, there still figuring it out. That's why bits and pieces are being released instead of a concrete plan.

teams use to carry 105 players back in the nineties, while playing only 10 games, plus a bowl game:
with the game getting more physical and with the expansion in the number of games being play, they really should look to increasing scholarships :

Advertisement
Remember the NCAA said EVERYBODY not just Seniors will not lose any eligibility. That will create a 4 year bubble of extra players because it can impact every member of the team. They need to layout what it will look like after next year to give a clear picture.

Not necessarily. You also wouldn't have to force people out.

I've already posted this earlier, in order to enroll 25 guys, we are going to need more than just the seniors to leave. The NCAA is clearly trying to avoid this annual dance where schools force guys to leave in order to get down to 85.

Think about the extra number. It's 15 extra scholarships. So that's not a whole signing class. And every year it seems like programs need to push out anywhere from 5 to 15 non-seniors to get down to 85. So now we can carry those guys for another year, especially since this year will not count against anyone's eligibility.

Advertisement
Just saw this on the USC VIP board. They must have it from a good source or they wouldn't have published it the way they did...

"The NCAA will allow schools to have 100 scholarship players going into next fall."
**** we should bring in like 35 a year like Air Force and Navy do... Lol then let Darwin theory take over,

Advertisement
I interpreted it this way:

Teams can carry 100 total scholarship players. This would technically allow you to carry an extra 15 guys over the previous limit - many of whom would have otherwise left the program as seniors, transfers, etc.

These guys now have an extra year of eligibility IF the school wants to extend the scholarship. If you don't have this many seniors to carry, the extra scholarships up to 100 would be used on recruits. I guess this assumes there is NO 25 IC limit. maybe that's too simplistic. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

teams use to carry 105 players back in the nineties, while playing only 10 games, plus a bowl game:
with the game getting more physical and with the expansion in the number of games being play, they really should look to increasing scholarships :

The current limit of 85 came in 1992. Prior to that the limit was 95 (1978-1992).

Schools haven’t been allowed to carry more a hundred since 1977.

The current limit of 85 came in 1992. Prior to that the limit was 95 (1978-1992).

Schools haven’t been allowed to carry more a hundred since 1977.

Didn't Nebraska used to have 200 - 300 players on scholarship annually at one point?

Didn't Nebraska used to have 200 - 300 players on scholarship annually at one point?

Nah. Nebraska had a walkon program under Osborne that allowed to carry 50-60 kids walkons each year. They had a huge support staff (strength coaches, player development, etc) before it became vogue.

Most of the kids were Nebraska natives.

Advertisement
Back