2021 Scholarship Count

Nah. Nebraska had a walkon program under Osborne that allowed to carry 50-60 kids walkons each year. They had a huge support staff (strength coaches, player development, etc) before it became vogue.

Most of the kids were Nebraska natives.
They still have that many walkons with a total roster around 150 now. I think they did used to have around 200 total. The military schools usually have large rosters too. A few years ago I recorded every teams week 1 roster and I'm recalling from memory.

Advertisement
I interpreted it this way:

Teams can carry 100 total scholarship players. This would technically allow you to carry an extra 15 guys over the previous limit - many of whom would have otherwise left the program as seniors, transfers, etc.

These guys now have an extra year of eligibility IF the school wants to extend the scholarship. If you don't have this many seniors to carry, the extra scholarships up to 100 would be used on recruits. I guess this assumes there is NO 25 IC limit. maybe that's too simplistic. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

25 IC rule is still in place.

In another thread, it had been mentioned that after 2021, everyone would have to be back down to 85. If so, there's no way in **** that they are going to raise the IC limit.

100 (temporarily) just buys time and doesn't force schools to push out kids to fit the new recruits.

WIthout raising the IC limit, this will do nothing for us. You might as well say the roster limit is 200. Miami might exceed 90 recruited scholarship players (NOT walk-ons), but there's no way we can get to 100 under the IC rules.

Advertisement
I interpreted it this way:

Teams can carry 100 total scholarship players. This would technically allow you to carry an extra 15 guys over the previous limit - many of whom would have otherwise left the program as seniors, transfers, etc.

These guys now have an extra year of eligibility IF the school wants to extend the scholarship. If you don't have this many seniors to carry, the extra scholarships up to 100 would be used on recruits. I guess this assumes there is NO 25 IC limit. maybe that's too simplistic. Maybe it's wishful thinking.
I don't know how valid that assumption is. Unless they state that explicitly I would think the old rules still apply. I know they stated that transfers-in will still count against the 85 limit. They also stated that the expansion was for one year. It makes me think that the extra 15 could only be used for existing seniors that took advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

Advertisement
25 IC rule is still in place.

In another thread, it had been mentioned that after 2021, everyone would have to be back down to 85. If so, there's no way in **** that they are going to raise the IC limit.

100 (temporarily) just buys time and doesn't force schools to push out kids to fit the new recruits.

WIthout raising the IC limit, this will do nothing for us. You might as well say the roster limit is 200. Miami might exceed 90 recruited scholarship players (NOT walk-ons), but there's no way we can get to 100 under the IC rules.

Yep I saw today that said it’s only for one year and even though everybody gets that 5th year you have to cut it back down. Gonna be a lot of portal kids and grad transfers after this year.

Yep I saw today that said it’s only for one year and even though everybody gets that 5th year you have to cut it back down. Gonna be a lot of portal kids and grad transfers after this year.

Exactly.

I hate being the "sorry folks, park's closed" guy, but I also don't want to see our fans getting delusional about what is going to happen next.

Hoya's a good poster, but I don't understand why he is "assuming" that the IC numbers will be raised.

Let's try to stick to the facts. Covid has been happening since March, and we are about to hit September. The IC rules haven't been changed yet. Meanwhile the NCAA has actually announced some other policy changes.

So far, there is NOTHING that has happened that will allow us to sign more high school graduates for the 2021 class. I'd love to revisit this conversation if the rules ever change in the future, but until then, it's just business-as-usual.

Advertisement
Back