2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
Little by little no one will be left at this pace....

I have to disagree. This is part of the process. It happens every year.
40 kids are offered, 20 kids put Miami on their final list, 10 kids visit and some kids commit.
Hopefully 3 more. Miami is on pace to fill all of their scholarships.
It is definitely not the easiest part of the recruiting process.

I think we get Castro left.... I’m good with not reading every article on why he didn’t come
I have to disagree. This is part of the process. It happens every year.
40 kids are offered, 20 kids put Miami on their final list, 10 kids visit and some kids commit.
Hopefully 3 more. Miami is on pace to fill all of their scholarships.
It is definitely not the easiest part of the recruiting process.
you certainly follow this more closely than I do so I believe what you’re saying. Want Mac to commit already as he is a key to this class

Advertisement
I think we get Castro left.... I’m good with not reading every article on why he didn’t come

you certainly follow this more closely than I do so I believe what you’re saying. Want Mac to commit already as he is a key to this class

Absolutely, Mac Etienne commitment makes or breaks this class. He is the big we know the staff wanted from day one.
Unfortunately with 40 scholarship offers, we don't know who the staff is serious about or vice versa.
I would definitely encourage you to watch Yale play this season as Paul Atkinson Jr is from West Palm Beach and he is a very good player. I fully expect him to win POY in the Ivy League this season. Adding his experience and ability to the roster would be huge. Given the fact that the staff added Zach Johnson and Keith Stone in previous season gives me a good feeling about him coming.
Jonas Aidoo has some good upside potential but he would probably benefit from a redshirt year.
Adding those 3 guys and having 13 scholarship players should make Miami a Sweet 16 team next season.

We'll never know (and often neither will the coaching staff) precisely why kids who had us in their final five didn't, in the end, pick Miami. Still, it sure would be interesting to know. Especially if there's a "common thread" that runs through these decisions.

I mean, it might be the geographical distance from home, parents' influence, questioning in their own mind whether they could play at the ACC level, illegal inducements (in the case of the top recruits), etc. It rarely would seem to be a chance for early playing time, or the weather, the campus, the facility, or the top-level conference we're in.

We'll never know (and often neither will the coaching staff) precisely why kids who had us in their final five didn't, in the end, pick Miami. Still, it sure would be interesting to know. Especially if there's a "common thread" that runs through these decisions.

I mean, it might be the geographical distance from home, parents' influence, questioning in their own mind whether they could play at the ACC level, illegal inducements (in the case of the top recruits), etc. It rarely would seem to be a chance for early playing time, or the weather, the campus, the facility, or the top-level conference we're in.
We shouldn't forget rule #1. We need to win. Basketball is a little more forgiving but you still have to put an impressive product on the floor to attract the best big men and guards. I think that the weather doesn't have the same influence on basketball players as it does on football players who spend a lot of time outdoors. The playing time thing is interesting. Seems like being able to play early in the ACC would be attractive to any confident kid.

We shouldn't forget rule #1. We need to win. Basketball is a little more forgiving but you still have to put an impressive product on the floor to attract the best big men and guards. I think that the weather doesn't have the same influence on basketball players as it does on football players who spend a lot of time outdoors. The playing time thing is interesting. Seems like being able to play early in the ACC would be attractive to any confident kid.
Agree. Winning and the "buzz" around a program are definitely factors. We're not, though, losing that many of our HS prospects to blue blood schools.

Advertisement

The first minute of watching Mac Etienne play shows his impressive offensive set of skills.
He would be the best big at Miami since Dewan.

Last edited:

Are there any 4-star players in the 2021 class you’d personally have as a 5-star, or at least borderline 5-star?

Etienne at No. 43. Like many big men, Etienne has a ways to go and is developing more slowly than perimeter players. But, he is developing at a high rate and schools across the country have taken notice.

Etienne reminds me of Joakim Noah at the same stage.

Here is my scouting report on Etienne: Has good length and frame for a power forward. Has upside in terms of potential physical development. Has a serious and absorbed approach to the game. Plays with a high motor. Has potential as a face up player and back to the basket player. Shooting range is limited but shoots with touch. Has composure and awareness with the ball in his hands. Aggressive rebounder. Quality shot blocker.

I agree with this evaluation. I saw this comparison the first time I watched Mac Etienne play.

Recruiting update on Mac Etienne, one of the biggest names left in 2021? Any reason for the commitment delay @247Sports #AskEBoss

I don’t know if there is really a “delay” on a decision from Mac Etienne as he’s never given a firm timeline and has always said he would lean towards taking his time. In fact, I seriously doubt he’ll decide in time to sign early and wouldn’t look for a decision until at least sometime in December, and that’s the earliest. A skilled and tough big man who rebounds and is a good shot blocker Etienne is most commonly linked to Illinois, Marquette and Miami. Many others like Connecticut, Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse, UCLA and more get mentioned from time to time but the group of Illinois, Marquette and Miami does appear to be out front.

First of all, Rafael Castro was a heck of a pickup for Ed Cooley and his staff. He’s a lean big man and will need to add some strength but I like the way he rebounds, his hands and his ability to be mobile in space. I won’t be at all surprised if he turns into an All-Big East player during his time in Providence. Adding another big man looks to be the plan for the Friars and four-star big man Jonas Aidoo recently included them in his final 10. He won’t be deciding for a bit but Providence has built a pretty good foundation with him and will have a legit shot. Kuluel Mading is also on the table and should be announcing his decision next Saturday, Providence has been prominently mentioned with him as well.

So a commitment from Mading eliminates Providence with Aidoo.

Advertisement
Big man recruiting continues to be a monumental struggle for this program. If only we could recruit bigs as well as we recruit guards.

In fairness to good bigs, the guards do not get our bigs involved enough with the ball screen offense.
Some of it has to do with the skills and development of our bigs and some of it is due to the excessive dribbling along with questionable decision making of our guards.

Advertisement
I didn't even realize 2021 recruits could start signing now. That makes me even more concerned about our big man recruiting.

Advertisement
Back