2021 Recruiting

We don't need Wade. True enough.

Then again, Tim Hardaway Jr was not thought to be UM material either. And, of course, Steph Curry was only a "mid major" recruit to Davidson. A list of the names of "miscalculations by HS evaluators" would, I'm sure, be pretty eye-opening -- both ways.

Honestly, Wade's skills are not at that level. Curry could always shot so he was a high major miss.
Hard away was a solid HM kid who developed into a pro after solid coaching.
Let's see how Wade plays at Brewster this season. Sierra Canyon was a disaster.

Advertisement
Honestly, Wade's skills are not at that level. Curry could always shot so he was a high major miss.
Hard away was a solid HM kid who developed into a pro after solid coaching.
Let's see how Wade plays at Brewster this season. Sierra Canyon was a disaster.
Did not mean to imply I thought Wade was at Hardaway's or Curry's level. Just that lower-regarded kids often turn out to be better than some 4 star recruits. Happens regularly. You need look no further than successful mid-majors' rosters.

Calling Curry a "high major miss" is putting it mildly. I'd call it a colossal error in evaluation.

Advertisement
Did not mean to imply I thought Wade was at Hardaway's or Curry's level. Just that lower-regarded kids often turn out to be better than some 4 star recruits. Happens regularly. You need look no further than successful mid-majors' rosters.

Calling Curry a "high major miss" is putting it mildly. I'd call it a colossal error in evaluation.

I completely understand.
The funny thing about Steph Curry. I live in NC and I know a guy who's son played at UNC. He told me that when asked about Steph Curry, Roy Williams said Wayne Ellington was a better shooter and the best shooter he has ever coached.
That says it all.

I completely understand.
The funny thing about Steph Curry. I live in NC and I know a guy who's son played at UNC. He told me that when asked about Steph Curry, Roy Williams said Wayne Ellington was a better shooter and the best shooter he has ever coached.
That says it all.
A little off topic but I saw Wayne at a playground outside of Philly (Narberth for anyone who knows the area), seeing him so effortlessly rebound and dunk with so much ease was just wild at the time.

****, if Wade undergoes a growth spurt of 2-3 inches he's looked at way differently.

I respect your opinion.
In my opinion, height is not his problem, his skills are what is questionable.
Most people are rooting for him because of D.Wade, which is not fair to Zaire.

I completely understand.
That says it all.
I wonder if Roy Williams would've recruited Steph Curry if Ellington was not in the picture. Or, maybe still have gone after a recruit who was "more athletic."

It's all an embarrassment of riches if you're a program like UNC. They don't need to hit on under-recruited gems like Curry. It's programs like ours who do, and could benefit the most!

Advertisement
I wonder if Roy Williams would've recruited Steph Curry if Ellington was not in the picture. Or, maybe still have gone after a recruit who was "more athletic."

It's all an embarrassment of riches if you're a program like UNC. They don't need to hit on under-recruited gems like Curry. It's programs like ours who do, and could benefit the most!

You would be surprised at the similarities. In NC, people want Roy to recruit more in-state kids but he is notoriously late to the party.
Steve Robinson and Hubert Davis are the be all and end all with Carolina recruiting.
The running joke is Roy loves to recruit big and slow kids from the Midwest like he is still at Kansas.
I also remember the rumor the Roy told Derrick Rose that if he comes to Carolina, he would play behind Ty Lawson.
Those are a few of the stories off the top of my head.

You would be surprised at the similarities. In NC, people want Roy to recruit more in-state kids but he is notoriously late to the party.
Steve Robinson and Hubert Davis are the be all and end all with Carolina recruiting.
The running joke is Roy loves to recruit big and slow kids from the Midwest like he is still at Kansas.
I also remember the rumor the Roy told Derrick Rose that if he comes to Carolina, he would play behind Ty Lawson.
Those are a few of the stories off the top of my head.
Of course, there were Michael Jordan (Wilmington Laney), Phil Ford (Rocky Mount), James Worthy (Gastonia Ashbrook), Antawn Jamison (Charlotte Quail Hollow), Bobby Jones (Charlotte South Mecklenburg) and Bob McAdoo (Greensboro Smith) -- North Carolinians all. I'd say UNC has done pretty well with keeping elite in-state kids home. Especially with Duke and State just down the road.

The Dayton folks seem to all be talking like Rafael Castro is not at all possible now; and the story someone here suggested that he may have rescheduled his selection date when Dayton got 2 commits of guys he likely would be hard pressed to beat out for PT (or even get a scholarship any more) appears to maybe have some credibility.

Unfortunately, while that leaves Miami and Providence, the latter has at least one crystal ball and many opining that Rafael won't be coming South. Sigh. C'mon Rafael if you are reading this; we love you and and your game and your talent and would love to see you become a Cane! It's **** chilly in Rhode Island right now! Wishing you a warm welcome, sir!

Of course, there were Michael Jordan (Wilmington Laney), Phil Ford (Rocky Mount), James Worthy (Gastonia Ashbrook), Antawn Jamison (Charlotte Quail Hollow), Bobby Jones (Charlotte South Mecklenburg) and Bob McAdoo (Greensboro Smith) -- North Carolinians all. I'd say UNC has done pretty well with keeping elite in-state kids home. Especially with Duke and State just down the road.

Great point but the Common denominator is Dean Smith. In the last ten plus years, Roy Williams has not had any elite kids from the state of NC on his roster.
That is why the locals are upset.

Advertisement
The Dayton folks seem to all be talking like Rafael Castro is not at all possible now; and the story someone here suggested that he may have rescheduled his selection date when Dayton got 2 commits of guys he likely would be hard pressed to beat out for PT (or even get a scholarship any more) appears to maybe have some credibility.

Unfortunately, while that leaves Miami and Providence, the latter has at least one crystal ball and many opining that Rafael won't be coming South. Sigh. C'mon Rafael if you are reading this; we love you and and your game and your talent and would love to see you become a Cane! It's **** chilly in Rhode Island right now! Wishing you a warm welcome, sir!

Great post and I completely agree with it. I am split between Rafael Castro and Jonas Aidou. Hopefully Miami gets one of the two as either will work.
One of those two with Mac Etienne and Paul Atkinson would be a huge upgrade in the frontcourt when you also consider Anthony Walker and Deng Gak are also on the roster. Plus, Matt Cross can play some 4 but those guys may push him to the 3 but he shoots the ball well enough to make that work.

Great point but the Common denominator is Dean Smith. In the last ten plus years, Roy Williams has not had any elite kids from the state of NC on his roster.
That is why the locals are upset.
Yep. Got a kick out the "big and slow" Midwestern kids remark. Think that might have started with Dean when he recruited Eric Montross out of Indianapolis. Then Roy got Tyler Hansbrough from Missouri. In their defense, both players were top shelf HS recruits who every coach in the country would've gladly taken.

BTW, there's a website ranking the Top 50 UNC players of all time, and Hansbrough -- somehow -- is #1.

Advertisement
Yep. Got a kick out the "big and slow" Midwestern kids remark. Think that might have started with Dean when he recruited Eric Montross out of Indianapolis. Then Roy got Tyler Hansbrough from Missouri. In their defense, both players were top shelf HS recruits who every coach in the country would've gladly taken.

BTW, there's a website ranking the Top 50 UNC players of all time, and Hansbrough -- somehow -- is #1.

That website has no credibility. Phil Ford is the best player ever "at UNC". Michael Jordan is the best pro from UNC.
The big, slow Midwestern kids was not my comment, I was quoting what was said to me.

Advertisement
Back