2021 Recruiting

Castro was 191 lbs at 6'9" earlier this year so 200 seems right..

...yeah most of his highlights are blocks; but I saw one fast break and he made a nice hook shot from 8 feet out. But not sure this is the kinda guy who is on the perimeter much.

Advertisement
Castro was 191 lbs at 6'9" earlier this year so 200 seems right..

...yeah most of his highlights are blocks; but I saw one fast break and he made a nice hook shot from 8 feet out. But not sure this is the kinda guy who is on the perimeter much.
Seems like the 4 position is defined today as either a Stretch Four, or traditional Power Forward.

When I think of stretch 4's, Kenny Kadji always comes to mind. He ran the floor well AND had an outside shot. Made him very hard to defend. Murphy was a traditional Power Forward.

For all we know, maybe Castro can fill a Stretch Four role. If he can't, and can't bulk up to play down low on the baseline, I wonder if he might eventually be a 5. He has the height, you mentioned the little hook shot, and he seems to block shots well ...

Castro seems to have good upside, in terms of having good fundamentals and skills to build on. The one thing I didn't see in any film was what kind of perimeter game he has at this point. Everything I saw had him running the court and scoring at the rim off turnovers and fast breaks.

Good height at 6'10 but ... is he only 200 pounds?

Good points and they are all valid.
If Miami gets commitments from Castro, Mac Etienne and Paul Atkinson Jr then you could redshirt Castro as you already have Walker and Deng Gak's on the roster.

Miami Hurricanes​

Another “local” option, Miami has a real case to make for the Yale forward when it comes to a ton of playing time. All of the bigs in the team’s rotation for this season (Nysier Brooks, Rodney Miller Jr., and Sam Waardenburg) are all seniors, leaving currently just Deng Gak and Anthony Walker III on the roster.

The Hurricanes have done well with their 2021 class, landing top-100 guards Jakai Robinson and Bensley Joseph. They haven’t landed any frontcourt players though, leaving a current giant hole down for the 2021-22 season. Landing Atkinson though would solve that and the transfer forward could potentially be even the to-go offensive option as well.

I completely agree. It makes a lot of sense.

Seems like the 4 position is defined today as either a Stretch Four, or traditional Power Forward.

When I think of stretch 4's, Kenny Kadji always comes to mind. He ran the floor well AND had an outside shot. Made him very hard to defend. Murphy was a traditional Power Forward.

For all we know, maybe Castro can fill a Stretch Four role. If he can't, and can't bulk up to play down low on the baseline, I wonder if he might eventually be a 5. He has the height, you mentioned the little hook shot, and he seems to block shots well ...
IMO Rafael Castro is more like Dewan Hernandez

Advertisement
Update:
My reading of the tea leaves is that Castro was going to commit here to Dayton a month ago, until Washington told the staff Dayton that they were legit in it. The staff Dayton then told Castro they might not have a spot for him, so Castro postponed his announcement. My guess is we'll Dayton will almost certainly get one of the two, and whichever one comes will be a small ball 4 in the Amp mold (though Castro isn't really all that small anymore having just hit a growth spurt).
:oops:

Advertisement
Can somebody please provide me with an update to our recruiting big board? What big men are remaining that we're in the hunt for?

I'd guess we're done recruiting the backcourt with what we have committed now.

Can somebody please provide me with an update to our recruiting big board? What big men are remaining that we're in the hunt for?

I'd guess we're done recruiting the backcourt with what we have committed now.

These are the names that have been talked about recently. If we can land some combination of Castro, Etienne, Aidoo, or Atkinson we would be in great shape.

PF - Rafael Castro,
C - Mac Etienne, Jonas Aidoo & Roosevelt Wheeler
Grad Transfer: Paul Atkinson

These two sites are great at identifying recruitment targets:

Advertisement

The 2021 class features a pair of nationally ranked players in Mac Etienne and Shane Dezonie. Etienne is a familiar name for local fans having previously starred at Suffield Academy. While he’s best known for his high-energy, charismatic personality, and physical gifts, he’s also added some new face-up skill to his ****nal and is currently one of the most widely-recruited big men in the country.

What is Kentucky’s ’21 class going to look like?

The Wildcats already have two top 50 prospects in the fold with forward Bryce Hopkins and point guard Nolan Hickman. The Crystal Ball is expecting Kentucky to add on the rise five-star big man Daimion Collins to announce his commitment to the program this weekend. Look for Collins to jump into at least the top 10 in the next ranking update. The bouncy big man is on a steep developmental curve at the moment. The Crystal Ball is also predicting that top 10 ranked Hunter Sallis will eventually pick Kentucky as well.

That would be a strong four-man class that would likely end up with Kentucky having at least a top three class in the final 247Sports Composite Team Rankings. There is also the possibility that five-star 2022 shooting guard might reclassify to the 2021 class.

So it appears that if Collins commits to Kentucky this weekend, Kentucky will not be offering Mac Etienne a scholarship.
That helps Miami.

The 2021 class features a pair of nationally ranked players in Mac Etienne and Shane Dezonie. Etienne is a familiar name for local fans having previously starred at Suffield Academy. While he’s best known for his high-energy, charismatic personality, and physical gifts, he’s also added some new face-up skill to his ****nal and is currently one of the most widely-recruited big men in the country.

I was for adding Wade to the class but we have like 3 guards committed already who are all better. I think that ship has sailed. Etienne would be great though and we can get him if we continue to apply pressure.

Advertisement
I was for adding Wade to the class but we have like 3 guards committed already who are all better. I think that ship has sailed. Etienne would be great though and we can get him if we continue to apply pressure.
Honestly, Wade is not a high major kid. He is mid major at best. It says a lot that Marquette has not offered him a scholarship given that D. Wade is a top 5 player at that school.

Honestly, Wade is not a high major kid. He is mid major at best. It says a lot that Marquette has not offered him a scholarship given that D. Wade is a top 5 player at that school.
We don't need Wade. True enough.

Then again, Tim Hardaway Jr was not thought to be UM material either. And, of course, Steph Curry was only a "mid major" recruit to Davidson. A list of the names of "miscalculations by HS evaluators" would, I'm sure, be pretty eye-opening -- both ways.

Advertisement
Back