2021 Recruiting

Look man. You’re clearly super high on Lykes. I understand, he’s a scorer it’s what he does. But He takes contested jumpshots every time he takes the floor. I’m glad others have chimed in on the subject and see what I see. He doesn’t share the ball well and he doesn’t run an offense (if we even have an offense). I think he’s best suited off the bench like others have said in this thread. He averages 2 assist a game while logging 30+ minutes. That’s as bad as it gets for a PG. Lykes lives and dies by his jump shot off the dribble. At 5’7 that isn’t ideal
That's all well and good. Read on to the part where I said he needs to be off the ball.

Advertisement
Back to recruiting

1. MIAMI
Miami will have a gaping hole within its interior after the season with the graduations of Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks, which makes it important that Jim Larranaga and his staff strike in the center category. Slated to not have a single 5-man on its roster once next spring arrives, Kepnang has become important to the short- and long-term projections at the U. The current Miami staff has a bevy of its recent recruiting wins in Kepnang's region of Pennsylvania.

I completely agree. Between Kepnang, Reid and Etienne, the 5 spot at Miami will get an upgrade in 2021.

Honestly, 2 of the 3 are needed.

@Da_Lucky_One Thanks for all you do on here. Our BBALL program doesn't get as much hype as I wish it would.

On another note:
Lykes is getting a bad rap on here.

We arguably had the worst PF and C combo in the last 15 years of our program this past season playing key minutes.

If I never have to see Sam play any minutes at PF ever again I would be a happy man.

Back to recruiting

1. MIAMI
Miami will have a gaping hole within its interior after the season with the graduations of Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks, which makes it important that Jim Larranaga and his staff strike in the center category. Slated to not have a single 5-man on its roster once next spring arrives, Kepnang has become important to the short- and long-term projections at the U. The current Miami staff has a bevy of its recent recruiting wins in Kepnang's region of Pennsylvania.

I completely agree. Between Kepnang, Reid and Etienne, the 5 spot at Miami will get an upgrade in 2021.

You think he commits to Miami

Back to recruiting

1. MIAMI

I feel like we either get 2/3 or we get none. The issue with Miami is our legacy with centers. We've had one drafted over the last 20 years, and that's Dewan who is not really even a center. That being said, we have a huge hole which means day 1 playing time in the best conference in the USA for college basketball and a collegiate career in Miami. Stunning new dorms and we always have the beautiful city of Miami right next door. Situation wise, it's an ideal spot for recruits but it doesn't have hype in high school circles at all I think. Look at the other options for Kepnang. Kansas is an NBA factory, Oregon has been pushing guys to the league steadily and their newest NBA name Bol Bol is gaining massive attention nationally. Even Ohio State has a better track record in recent years putting bigs into the league. No matter their ranking, upon time of commitment these guys want to see that they have a route to the league if they come to Miami. It's not clear for bigs that they can get to the league. A big part of that is how trash some of our recent bigs have been. Hopefully Brooks makes some noise and gets himself drafted to help our case here.

Advertisement
@Da_Lucky_One Thanks for all you do on here. Our BBALL program doesn't get as much hype as I wish it would.

On another note:
Lykes is getting a bad rap on here.

We arguably had the worst PF and C combo in the last 15 years of our program this past season playing key minutes.

If I never have to see Sam play any minutes at PF ever again I would be a happy man.

You are all welcome. Posting information to this site is easy for me. I know I am not the only Canes Hoops fan so I want everyone to know the information as I get it.

I feel like we either get 2/3 or we get none. The issue with Miami is our legacy with centers. We've had one drafted over the last 20 years, and that's Dewan who is not really even a center. That being said, we have a huge hole which means day 1 playing time in the best conference in the USA for college basketball and a collegiate career in Miami. Stunning new dorms and we always have the beautiful city of Miami right next door. Situation wise, it's an ideal spot for recruits but it doesn't have hype in high school circles at all I think. Look at the other options for Kepnang. Kansas is an NBA factory, Oregon has been pushing guys to the league steadily and their newest NBA name Bol Bol is gaining massive attention nationally. Even Ohio State has a better track record in recent years putting bigs into the league. No matter their ranking, upon time of commitment these guys want to see that they have a route to the league if they come to Miami. It's not clear for bigs that they can get to the league. A big part of that is how trash some of our recent bigs have been. Hopefully Brooks makes some noise and gets himself drafted to help our case here.

All of those things you mentioned are factors but our biggest selling point will be immediate and early playing time as Miami does not have a 5 on the roster for next season.
Someone will take advantage of that opportunity and come to Miami.

Advertisement
Kepnang, Reid and Etienne

Can Miami get all 3? Quite possibly.

All three in the same recruiting class is unlikely but here is how it could happen.
Miami still has one scholarship available for this season. Someone would need to reclass and redshirt. Reid has already graduated high school so he could decide on this route. Lynn Kidd decided on this route as he thought he would not have a high school season. Reid could follow those steps.
Kepnang and Etienne have decided to stay in the 2021 class. Etienne is at Brewster Academy, where Anthony Walker and Matt Cross have played recently. Kepnang plays at Westtown in PA with Jalen Warley and Miami successfully recruits that area.
2 of the 3 seems likely but there is a chance that all 3 could come to Miami.
Things change daily in recruiting.

I was hoping he would reclass and redshirt at Miami but he choose Clemson.

Lmao we got double ****ed in that statement. "Oh nice he's gonna reclass to 2020... oh wait he also committed to Clemson". I was watching some other IMG highlights and dude is a monster, I don't want him to develop now so we don't have to play against the best version of him. Also there's a thread about this in the football board, but who in their right mind goes to Clemson right now? Their racist students/community is getting exposed right now.

Kepnang, Reid and Etienne

Can Miami get all 3? Quite possibly.

All three in the same recruiting class is unlikely but here is how it could happen.
Miami still has one scholarship available for this season. Someone would need to reclass and redshirt. Reid has already graduated high school so he could decide on this route. Lynn Kidd decided on this route as he thought he would not have a high school season. Reid could follow those steps.
Kepnang and Etienne have decided to stay in the 2021 class. Etienne is at Brewster Academy, where Anthony Walker and Matt Cross have played recently. Kepnang plays at Westtown in PA with Jalen Warley and Miami successfully recruits that area.
2 of the 3 seems likely but there is a chance that all 3 could come to Miami.
Things change daily in recruiting.

Getting just Warley and Kepnang together would be program changing for the future. Let's see if Timberlake can be a strong a advocate for Miami as he seems. Ideally, these guys hold off their commitments until we get to see the new Canes team in action as they should only help our case. Etienne should reclass, and Larranaga can convince him to essentially redshirt the season. Likely better choice then Brewster as a post grad year.

Warley we only have a chance really because of Earl, but it may be our biggest recruiting help. I think what happens at Michigan/Virginia will help us. Michigan already signed a SG for the 21 class along with another wing. Virginia probably is locked in on Keels. If Keels goes to UVA I'd be more confident in our chances with Warley. As sad as it is, our chances with Keels are very slim so Warley is the next man up.

Kepnang would be a premier get for us and that article, not sure if it has insider info or it's just the writer's opinions, makes me believe he may be strongly considering us. Most bigs with his skillset end up staying at least 2 or 3 years in college because their inability to stretch the floor makes them more undesirable as a draft prospect so they either have to add that or be highly productive to get a draft look. So if we get him we essentially get a borderline 5 star center for a couple of years as a rock solid starter. Need that rolling big for Larranagas offense to really work like with Izundu. We recruit the northeast fairly well so let's hope they can convince Franck to come down for that nice Miami weather.

I’m surprised we have had such trouble recruiting big time centers/true PF’s. If I will tip my hat to anything L and staff has done over the years it is developing big men basically from scratch. Stinks we don’t have results in draft because the development is there in a major way if someone looks into it. 4 years with L and staff as a big man is great for any bigs development

Advertisement
That's all well and good. Read on to the part where I said he needs to be off the ball.
People look at Lykes at his height (I think 5'7 is generous) and have always thought PG. He was never that, in high school, or here. He's a 2G all the way. My guess is the opportunity to be a shooting guard likely figured in our successful recruitment.

People look at Lykes at his height (I think 5'7 is generous) and have always thought PG. He was never that, in high school, or here. He's a 2G all the way. My guess is the opportunity to be a shooting guard likely figured in our successful recruitment.
I'd prefer to have Beverly/Wong run the point this year and let Lykes do what he does best - make shots at the 2 spot. Lykes is NOT a point guard.

Advertisement
Getting just Warley and Kepnang together would be program changing for the future. Let's see if Timberlake can be a strong a advocate for Miami as he seems. Ideally, these guys hold off their commitments until we get to see the new Canes team in action as they should only help our case. Etienne should reclass, and Larranaga can convince him to essentially redshirt the season. Likely better choice then Brewster as a post grad year.

Warley we only have a chance really because of Earl, but it may be our biggest recruiting help. I think what happens at Michigan/Virginia will help us. Michigan already signed a SG for the 21 class along with another wing. Virginia probably is locked in on Keels. If Keels goes to UVA I'd be more confident in our chances with Warley. As sad as it is, our chances with Keels are very slim so Warley is the next man up.

Kepnang would be a premier get for us and that article, not sure if it has insider info or it's just the writer's opinions, makes me believe he may be strongly considering us. Most bigs with his skillset end up staying at least 2 or 3 years in college because their inability to stretch the floor makes them more undesirable as a draft prospect so they either have to add that or be highly productive to get a draft look. So if we get him we essentially get a borderline 5 star center for a couple of years as a rock solid starter. Need that rolling big for Larranagas offense to really work like with Izundu. We recruit the northeast fairly well so let's hope they can convince Franck to come down for that nice Miami weather.

Your observation about Warley and Keels is accurate. I agree with you about Michigan but if you look at the Virginia roster, they already have 5 guards on the roster. It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I also think Miami is in a good position for both of them. Our biggest challenger could be an NBDL offer.

Early playing time will help a lot with the development of our bigs. Remember, Ebuka sat on the bench for nearly 2 and a half years.

I'm excited as well. He showed a lot. Early on, his outside shot selection and accuracy were "off." He improved nicely by season's end.

Wong is special.

I've been on notice since he showed out at the Iverson Classic last year. I know it's just an all star game type of thing but he stood out in a room full of NBA talent. Was cooking some guys that are getting drafted in the first this year. Definitely worth a watch.

Advertisement
Back