2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
We need this kid to develop better than the last two PG’s: Lykes and Newton. I think his game will allow him to do that rather easily. He’s what I want in a PG.

Will not miss the days of our 5’6 PG jacking 20+ shots a game. Can’t wait to finally have a floor general who based on film looks like has an elite feel for the game.

We need this kid to develop better than the last two PG’s: Lykes and Newton. I think his game will allow him to do that rather easily. He’s what I want in a PG.

Will not miss the days of our 5’6 PG jacking 20+ shots a game. Can’t wait to finally have a floor general who based on film looks like has an elite feel for the game.
Lykes is one of the best players in the ACC and Newton scored over 1k points in his career. Not understand the 'not developed properly' comment

Lykes is one of the best players in the ACC and Newton scored over 1k points in his career. Not understand the 'not developed properly' comment
Newton was a turnover MACHINE for much of his career. It got his *** put on the bench for some time. Lykes also plays out of control quite often. I’m not on board with the “best players in the acc” talk. When he’s hot and knocking down contested jumpers. He’s great. When he’s off, he’s really off. Not to mention he plays out of control which leads to him turning the ball over. And he lives and dies by contested jump shots

Advertisement
Newton was a turnover MACHINE for much of his career. It got his *** put on the bench for some time. Lykes also plays out of control quite often. I’m not on board with the “best players in the acc” talk. When he’s hot and knocking down contested jumpers. He’s great. When he’s off, he’s really off. Not to mention he plays out of control which leads to him turning the ball over. And he lives and dies by contested jump shots
He's been over 40% FG and 15-16 ppg the last two seasons. He'll assuredly be on a preseason ACC team this fall, which makes him one of the top players in the conference.

He's been over 40% FG and 15-16 ppg the last two seasons. He'll assuredly be on a preseason ACC team this fall, which makes him one of the top players in the conference.
In that logic. I can’t argue because you are correct. He will be preseason ACC team. Do I personally think he is one of the best players in the acc? No I don’t. I believe he is a average player that looks for his own shot far more than he should at 5’6. Hopefully changes this year because we have some kids that score the ball much more efficiently than him on a night to night basis.

In that logic. I can’t argue because you are correct. He will be preseason ACC team. Do I personally think he is one of the best players in the acc? No I don’t. I believe he is a average player that looks for his own shot far more than he should at 5’6. Hopefully changes this year because we have some kids that score the ball much more efficiently than him on a night to night basis.
Average player? The heck are you watching?

Average player? The heck are you watching?
He averages as many turnovers as he does assist as a 5’7 point guard. To the average fan they think he is so good because he does some amazing things on the court. But if you watch him possession by possession he isn’t a good plus minus player. He is who he is. A small guard who is going to live and die by contested jump shots.

Advertisement
Lykes is a very good player who has been asked to do too much here. The past 2 years he's played almost 40 min in every competitive game and has had to carry the offense. He's not at Larkins' level and obviously his height will always limit his efficiency, but surround him with Kadji, Scott, McKinney Jones, etc and he'd look a whole lot better

I hate dogging Chris for something that he can't control, and I have mad respect for him making himself into a legit D1 athlete at his size, but yeah, his profile just doesn't work here. A point guard who can't finish in the lane is waaaay out of place in Jim's PnR heavy offense.

Last edited:
Lykes is a very good player who has been asked to do too much here. The past 2 years he's played almost 40 min in every competitive game and has had to carry the offense. He's not at Larkins' level and obviously his height will always limit his efficiency, but surround him with Kadji, Scott, McKinney Jones, etc and he'd look a whole lot better
He’s a chucker who is far more effective off the dribble then he is spot shooting. I actually don’t believe it matters who he plays with because he is a kid that is going to look for his owns shot and “get his”on a nightly basis. He’s best suited being a 6th man that we can use when we need juice on offense. If he would have remained in this role from freshman year he would have been the best 6th man in the country for 3 straight years.

Advertisement
Lykes is suppose to be a point guard, yet in his third year he only average 2.1 assets a game and did not have the statistical average of 3 to 1 in turnovers.
Not to mention in his third year he was not even close to being in the top 250 in total assets in the division 1. He is a shooter but not
a leader when it comes to playing the point guard position.

He averages as many turnovers as he does assist as a 5’7 point guard. To the average fan they think he is so good because he does some amazing things on the court. But if you watch him possession by possession he isn’t a good plus minus player. He is who he is. A small guard who is going to live and die by contested jump shots.
So was Jack McClinton. None of that means he can't be a very effective player. And Chris had to carry the offense himself most of the time. That's going to hurt all the %s and ratios.

I highly commend Lykes speed, energy, and talent, and of course hard work and long minutes. I would think one of his best assets would be (more) smart passing to folks with high-percentage or open looks. Unfortunately, the big men up close getting the ball (and others) this fast are like hey hot-potato, what's this? Change that a bit and he might set records for assists and get us a heck of a lot of wins.

Advertisement
Lykes to me would best be a sparkplug off the bench, adding scoring when the teams starters might be resting. Because of poor recruiting, we've had to put a scoring load on him. For the past two seasons he's been our high scorer, and last season it was him and Vasilievic who are laughable when compared to other strong tourney team's top scorers. With the influx of young talent, Lykes will be asked to do less this season and if he can properly adjust to that and learn how to make plays for others as well as be an off ball threat, I think he has NBA upside. He can get better looks with a better offense around him and score a similar amount on better efficiency. Now that's a lot of what if's, and if he does fail to become more of a team player he will get less run than some of the other guards, and his dreams of playing pro are going to crushed by none other than himself.

As a Celtics fan I've watched both IT and Larkin settle into their roles, and the biggest part of that is not taking shots when your teammate has a better shot. To make up for defense in IT's case, he had to be an offensive machine, scoring in bunches as well as opening up opportunities for others to score. Larkin was a tenacious defender off the bench and was a knockdown three point shooter, always creating opportunities in transition for teammates. Ultimately if Lykes realizes that it's not his team anymore, and it's about the team working together as a unit, he will be a very good player in his last year.

He’s a chucker who is far more effective off the dribble then he is spot shooting. I actually don’t believe it matters who he plays with because he is a kid that is going to look for his owns shot and “get his”on a nightly basis. He’s best suited being a 6th man that we can use when we need juice on offense. If he would have remained in this role from freshman year he would have been the best 6th man in the country for 3 straight years.
Not sure why you incessantly ***** and moan in every thread on the basketball board but this is all factually incorrect. A career 40%+ FG guy, and top 10 in the conference last year, is the exact opposite of a 'chucker', as you describe.

As for where he's best suited, it's clearly off the ball.

Not sure why you incessantly ***** and moan in every thread on the basketball board but this is all factually incorrect. A career 40%+ FG guy, and top 10 in the conference last year, is the exact opposite of a 'chucker', as you describe.

As for where he's best suited, it's clearly off the ball.
Look man. You’re clearly super high on Lykes. I understand, he’s a scorer it’s what he does. But He takes contested jumpshots every time he takes the floor. I’m glad others have chimed in on the subject and see what I see. He doesn’t share the ball well and he doesn’t run an offense (if we even have an offense). I think he’s best suited off the bench like others have said in this thread. He averages 2 assist a game while logging 30+ minutes. That’s as bad as it gets for a PG. Lykes lives and dies by his jump shot off the dribble. At 5’7 that isn’t ideal

Lykes is suppose to be a point guard, yet in his third year he only average 2.1 assets a game and did not have the statistical average of 3 to 1 in turnovers.
Not to mention in his third year he was not even close to being in the top 250 in total assets in the division 1. He is a shooter but not
a leader when it comes to playing the point guard position.
BINGO

Advertisement
Back