2021 Recruiting

So Wesley Cardet and the Brewley Twins (2023) will be playing high school basketball at Northeast together. That should make recruiting easier for Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement

NNANNA NJOKU HAS A GREAT MOTOR

joirefjvmf6ws6kwxv7y

NNANNA
NJOKU

6'10" | 245 LBS | C
SANFORD SCHOOL
HOCKESSIN, DE
CLASS OF 2021

While he doesn’t always get the love that he deserves, Njoku has remained consistent with his motor which is beginning to pan out in the scholarship column. DePaul, Marquette Miami and Rutgers offered over the weekend and Njoku told Rivals.com that the Golden Eagles, Providence and Villanova are the three programs working the hardest of late. The definition of an interior tone-setter, Njoku is a quality college weapon waiting in the wings.

In Philadelphia, Trey Patterson put on a complete show. The top-50 sophomore has really done a great job with his body and overall skill set in recent months which helped guide his Rutgers Prep team to an undefeated weekend at the Philly Live 2 event. Georgia, Indiana, Miami, NC State and Villanova are his latest offer, and Notre Dame, Stanford and Virginia have kept a close eye on the high academic prospect.

Advertisement

opfatgxjvwspxxp8n3i6

NATIONAL
-
STATE
-
POSITION
TREY
PATTERSON

RANK
N/A
6'8" | 205 LBS | PF
RUTGERS PREP SCHOOL
FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ
CLASS OF 2021
UNDECIDED

His play: I didn't get to see Patterson for quite as long as I wanted, but I saw enough to feel good about the way he played. He's accepted his role as a combo forward with some inside/out game, was playing with energy and has really started to mature physically.
His recruitment: One of the most sought-after players from the class of 2021 on the Atlantic Coast, Patterson has added offers from Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Miami, N.C. State, TCU, Villanova, Xavier and Washington in just the last month.

NBA Academy Games: Mojave King excels in front of coaches
ByEVAN DANIELS 81 minutes ago
9167989.jpg
Mojave King (Photo: NBA Academies)
ATLANTA – College coaches and scouts came in droves to the NBA Academy Games, which showcased more than 60 international prospects this past week at the pristine Atlanta Hawks practice facility.

The biggest draw of the event? 6-foot-5 junior guard Mojave King.

King, who joined the NBA Global Academy in January of 2019, was easily the best prospect at the NBA Academy Games, and he gave coaches in attendance a glimpse of his natural scoring ability.

“I think I’ve been playing really well,” King said. “I think I’ve been shooting the ball well, getting to the rim, passing well, finding my teammates, and we’ve been winning games, so I think it’s going well so far.”

King led the event in scoring with 16 points a game. A 6’5” guard with a 6’7.5” wingspan, King has an impressive physical make up with good athleticism. He's a good finisher at the basket, made good reads and passes in pick and role situations and was quite effective shooting the ball from distance.

In six camp games, King was 18-for-35 from three, including three games where he knocked down four long-range shots. While his shooting was on display, King thinks he’s at best doing other things on the court.

“I feel like I’m at my best in transition still, getting the rebound, pushing the ball, trying to get something on the rim or finding my teammates,” King explained.

King grew up in Brisbane, but his father, Leonard King, is a native of Ohio and played at Florida A&M before playing professionally in New Zealand, France and Luxembourg. The younger King said his dad has played a big role in his growth and development as a player.

“He’s been training me ever since I started playing, so he’s had a lot of influence on my game,” King said about his father. “Pretty much everything I’m good at, I got from him. He’s been training me my whole life.”

More than 200 college coaches took in the action at the NBA Academy Games this weekend. A number of them were there for King.

“I try not to really let it change the way I play, but it’s just motivation I guess, to go out there and really try your best and leave everything out on the floor,” King said.

While college is a legitimate option, King is certain to have other options. For now he says he's leaning towards going that route.

“It’s not definite, but it’s personally something that I’d like to do,” King said about going to college.

King’s father told 247Sports the colleges that have reached thus far are Iowa, TCU, Louisville, LSU, St. Mary’s, UCF, Charlotte, Arizona, Portland, USC, UConn, SMU, Oklahoma, Colorado, George Washington, Ole Miss, Maryland and Miami.

In terms of making a choice on college or going a different route, King said it’s not something that is coming in the near future.

“I’m still in year 11 in Australia, so probably mid next year in my senior year, I’ll decide,” he said.

International prospects aren’t ranked in the 247Sports player rankings until they make their college choice. Assuming King ends up in college, he’s currently tracking as a top 25 level prospect.

Mojave King, SG, Australia:
King has made it clear over the last year that he is one of the world’s top 2021 prospects and built on what has been an extremely impressive several month run this week in Atlanta. He has good size and length for a wing to go with matching athleticism and skill. King’s physical tools and motor make him a tough matchup in transition, while in the halfcourt he is a capable shooter from the perimeter or can use his size, strength and skill to attack the rim. King is one of Australia’s top prospects in the last several years.

Advertisement

WAIT FOR IT
omod42w0scnwftryogmm

NATIONAL

POSITION
ERNEST
ROSS

6'8" | 190 LBS | PF
SANTA FE
ALACHUA, FL
CLASS OF 2021

Why him?: Look, Ross isn't super productive yet. But that is going to come along down the road. However, there are limits to how high Ross can be ranked until we are sure he can produce and see it more regularly. That being said, those who are patient enough to wait for it and see what the fluidly athletic 6-foot-9 four man can do are going to be well-rewarded. His energy is very good, his shot looks good and now it's just a matter of putting it all together.

Recruitment: Florida, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, South Florida, Virginia Tech and Xavier have offered.

vky9nvhuohpl94j0dezw

NATIONAL
-
STATE
-
POSITION
ERNEST
ROSS

6'8" | 190 LBS | PF
SANTA FE
ALACHUA, FL
CLASS OF 2021
UNDECIDED

Why he could rise: Everything about Ross screams big-time prospect. He's grown a bit, is an elite athlete, can move extremely well laterally and he has a good-looking jump shot. A pogo stick around the rim, Ross plays really hard on both ends and just needs to add polish to be more consistent. Once he becomes consistently productive Ross will enter the conversation for five-star status.
Recruitment: Florida, Mississipppi, Oklahoma State, USF, Virginia Techand Xavier have offered.

pl02ny6nmfqqsn7maeoj

NATIONAL
-
STATE
-
POSITION
ROOSEVELT
WHEELER

6'10" | 210 LBS | C
JOHN MARSHALL
RICHMOND, VA
CLASS OF 2021
UNDECIDED

Why he could rise: I was pretty struck by the physical transformation of Wheeler when I saw him in the latter part of July. He's added muscle, has become more confident offensively and has the tools to be the type of true rim protector and rebounder at the five that is becoming increasingly hard to find.
Recruitment: Miami, North Carolina State, VCU, Virginia Tech and others are in early.

Advertisement

Juniors can now take official visits as they could always take unofficial visits. I think Miami should start doing this to get ahead in the recruiting process.

A few kids in-state they could target:

All of these players are ranked in the Top100 players in the nation for the 2021 recruiting class and they are from the state of Florida.

you are a very busy prolific appreciated poster. finally decided to ask whats been on my mind as I sit here hopin and prayin we get these possibilities mentioned as Canes. whats your take on:

are the recruiting folks simply not keeping up on this stuff you mention; in your opinion, the new rules, the possibles to go after that could be a Cane some day and bring us success? At times I get the impression the recruitment department is a single87 year old grey haired lady who thinks basket ball is a dance where u do basket weaving.

I mean, these are no-brainer ideas for someone in that line of effort. they shouldn't need to be told. are you expecting them to read your posts and use your tips and info as a helpful source? or what. not being critical. ty.

you are a very busy prolific appreciated poster. finally decided to ask whats been on my mind as I sit here hopin and prayin we get these possibilities mentioned as Canes. whats your take on:

are the recruiting folks simply not keeping up on this stuff you mention; in your opinion, the new rules, the possibles to go after that could be a Cane some day and bring us success? At times I get the impression the recruitment department is a single87 year old grey haired lady who thinks basket ball is a dance where u do basket weaving.

I mean, these are no-brainer ideas for someone in that line of effort. they shouldn't need to be told. are you expecting them to read your posts and use your tips and info as a helpful source? or what. not being critical. ty.
Keep in mind that Coach L is by far the best-recruiting HC we have ever had. My point being that whatever has held UM back in recruiting top HS players is a "problem" that goes back 35 years. Hardly a new phenomenon.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back