2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
You continue to defend every decision Larranaga has ever made.

Just curious, care to comment on all of the local and in-state talent we refuse to recruit?
you claim we refuse to recruit in state kids yet half of the ones we've offered for 2022 are playing in the state of Florida and IMO the hot zone for basketball talent has and continues to be the NY/NJ/Philly/DMV areas where L has strong connections. Sorry that I'm not shedding tears over missing on one or two kids from Florida when we've had very good success recruiting quality up north.

you claim we refuse to recruit in state kids yet half of the ones we've offered for 2022 are playing in the state of Florida and IMO the hot zone for basketball talent has and continues to be the NY/NJ/Philly/DMV areas where L has strong connections. Sorry that I'm not shedding tears over missing on one or two kids from Florida when we've had very good success recruiting quality up north.
It's not half. According to 247, we've offered 19 players so far in the 22 class, 6 of which are from Florida. that is roughly 33%

The Northeast and DMV will always be hot zones for basketball, no one is denying that. But Florida is quickly becoming a hot zone too. The amount of legit P5 prospects from the state of Florida in the 2022 thru 2024 classes is extremely impressive and a far cry from what basketball looked like in this state 10-15 years ago. @King of Allapattah can shed a lot more light on this, but to suggest we are only missing on "one or two kids from Florida" is completely incorrect.

Why continue to treat the state as an after thought when there are so many D1 prospects here? Not always the case but in general it should be easier to convince a kid to stay near or close to home than to relocate halfway across the country.

It's not half. According to 247, we've offered 19 players so far in the 22 class, 6 of which are from Florida. that is roughly 33%

The Northeast and DMV will always be hot zones for basketball, no one is denying that. But Florida is quickly becoming a hot zone too. The amount of legit P5 prospects from the state of Florida in the 2022 thru 2024 classes is extremely impressive and a far cry from what basketball looked like in this state 10-15 years ago. @King of Allapattah can shed a lot more light on this, but to suggest we are only missing on "one or two kids from Florida" is completely incorrect.

Why continue to treat the state as an after thought when there are so many D1 prospects here? Not always the case but in general it should be easier to convince a kid to stay near or close to home than to relocate halfway across the country.
my mistake, 2 weeks ago we had only 14 offers out, point being we are recruiting FL. If you recall, nobody recruited V. Carey and S. Barnes longer and harder than Miami yet both went elsewhere. It happens.

Advertisement
my mistake, 2 weeks ago we had only 14 offers out, point being we are recruiting FL. If you recall, nobody recruited V. Carey and S. Barnes longer and harder than Miami yet both went elsewhere. It happens.
It does happen, and those are the cream of the crop blue chip prospects. But there are a lot of second tier, high 3 and 4 star kids that Miami just never bothers to recruit - a few recent examples of big men I can think of are Ernest Udeh and Ben Middlebrooks (who just committed to Clemson). We have a much better chance at getting commits from those guys than the Carey's of the world.

It's funny how some media people sell you on these great connections Coach L has in the NE.
Yet the commits for this recruiting cycle are not ranked higher than the kid within an hour of the campus.
Then again, I am sure they will say rankings don't matter.

Advertisement

It's funny how some media people sell you on these great connections Coach L has in the NE.
Yet the commits for this recruiting cycle are not ranked higher than the kid within an hour of the campus.
Then again, I am sure they will say rankings don't matter.

Dead horse is still dead

This is part of a post I put together a few weeks ago on another thread that I'd like to share with you incase you missed it. I'm only incuding the last 4 signing classes. Unfortunately, you could probably count on one hand which kids were offered by Miami coming out of HS. Each and everyone of these kids played their HS ball in Florida except where stated, and most of them were born and raised right here in the sunshine state. Yet, for whatever reason Larranaga and company chose to go in different directions. Why the disconnect?

Keep in mind that this list doesn't include the countless number of out of state kids who chose to play their final year or two of HS ball at one of the in-state basketball factories (IMG, Montverde, The Rock, WestOaks, etc.).

I've hi-lighted the names I believe were highly recruited and offered by Miami.

Class of 2017:
Kevin Knox (Kentucky) ***NBA
Paul Reed (DePaul) ***NBA
Trent Frazier (Illinois)
Chaundee Brown (Michigan)
Jamari Wheeler (Penn St.) just transferred to Ohio St.
Mitchell Robinson (W Kentucky) ***NBA - born & raised in Pensacola. Played first 2 years of HS ball before transferring to a Louisiana HS.
RaQuan Gray (Fsu)

Class of 2018:
Nassir Little (UNC) ***NBA
Anfarnee Simons (Louisville) ***NBA - never made it to Louisville; went into the draft after prep school
Emmitt Williams (LSU) ***NBA G-League
Colin Castleton (Florida)
Darius Days (LSU)

Class of 2019:
Vernon Carey (Duke) ***NBA
Kai Jones (Texas)
CJ Walker (Oregon)
Tyrell Jones (Auburn)
Tre Mann (Florida)
Balsa Koprivica (fsu)
Omar Payne (Florida)

Class of 2020:
Scottie Barnes (FSU)
Norchad Omier (Arkansas St.)
Miguel Selton (Kansas St.)
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa St.)
Tony Sanders (Notre Dame)
Damari Monsato (ETSU)
Isaiah Adams (UCF)

Last edited:
Advertisement

Spot on here. As good as the northeast and dmv areas are producing basketball prospects it's not nearly as good as it was say 10-15 years ago or prior. States like California, Texas and to an extent the southeast United States produce the same quality and quantity player you can get from the northeast and dmv areas.

Keep in mind that this list doesn't include the countless number of out of state kids who chose to play their final year or two of HS ball at one of the in-state basketball factories (IMG, Montverde, The Rock, WestOaks, etc.).
Rock school is recruiting like that now?! Wow! Watched providence beat the breaks off them for many years

Rock school is recruiting like that now?! Wow! Watched providence beat the breaks off them for many years
The Rock is very up and down. Not as good as IMG and Montverde but they’ve had their fair share of studs. Remember that’s where Joel Embid became a McD’s all-American

Advertisement
I actually did not know that. I knew he went to montverde had no idea about The Rock.
Yeah, Embid was at Montverde and did nothing there. Went over to the Rock and blew up. I think he went from not being or barely in the top 100 nationally to a top 5 prospect during his senior year in Gainesville. The Rock also produced the Wilbekin brothers. They always keep a stockpile of D1 kids.

Yeah, Embid was at Montverde and did nothing there. Went over to the Rock and blew up. I think he went from not being or barely in the top 100 nationally to a top 5 prospect during his senior year in Gainesville. The Rock also produced the Wilbekin brothers. They always keep a stockpile of D1 kids.
Yup, watched both wilbekin brothers play their. For about 5 straight years I would go to the providence vs rock school game. I think younger wilbekin went to wake?

I would never guess a prep school in Gainesville would stack talent like that. I played their many times growing up in tournaments that were hosted in Gainesville. Nice school but nothing over the top. I bet it has probably upgraded big time since then though.

Advertisement
Back