2021 Recruiting

I do think Nysier and Sam can absolutely help a good team. Rodney I wouldn't waste my time with. Although I do hope regardless of which bigs come back next year that we stick with the Walker at the 5 lineup and just be an uber athletic fast team.

Honestly, I don't want any of the seniors to come back. Brooks would be 25 next season and some of the others would be 23.
As far as Walker at the 5, I don't mind seeing that in very small sample size however Miami needs to recruit some bigs period.
I don't want Walker to become the next Anthony Lawrence.
Amp sacrificed too much in his four years at Miami because the staff failed to recruit and develop the bigs on the roster.

Advertisement
Honestly, I don't want any of the seniors to come back. Brooks would be 25 next season and some of the others would be 23.
As far as Walker at the 5, I don't mind seeing that in very small sample size however Miami needs to recruit some bigs period.
I don't want Walker to become the next Anthony Lawrence.
Amp sacrificed too much in his four years at Miami because the staff failed to recruit and develop the bigs on the roster.
That may have been part of why we parted ways with Cross. I could see him vocalizing his frustrations of being played out of position. Like you said, we did it to Amp Lawrence, we've done it some with Cross and Walker as well. These guys are suited to be stretch 4's, NOT 5's!

That may have been part of why we parted ways with Cross. I could see him vocalizing his frustrations of being played out of position. Like you said, we did it to Amp Lawrence, we've done it some with Cross and Walker as well. These guys are suited to be stretch 4's, NOT 5's!

Amp was one of my favorite player in the last decade. He was a solid glue guy.
The staff could have handled Ebuka and Rodney better to ensure Amp could have played more at the 3.

Advertisement
Only if Miami would've offered Big C (Colin Castleton). Went to Michigan, got homesick transferred to uf and is doing his thing there. You'd think a Florida kid standing 6'11" would draw some interest from our coaching staff, but noooooooo... LOL!!!
Infuriating. But yet you have slurpers on here who say we shouldn't recruit the state.

You think Cross was being played - or asked to play - at the 5 other than in an infrequent situational small ball lineup for matchup purposes???

What planet are you on?

Any possibilities in the JuCo ranks?

Other than that, send a coach to Nigeria and tell him "Don't come back if you don't bring a big man who can play immediately."

Advertisement

Other than that, send a coach to Nigeria and tell him "Don't come back if you don't bring a big man who can play immediately."

I found one and posted the information in the transfer portal thread.
Unfortunately and you guessed it, Miami was not mentioned with him.

If we're adding any players to this year's class, it seems it's going to come thru transfer and/or juco route. I heard they're done with the HS players in 2021 class.

What will next year's roster look like? How many scholarships do we still have available? As it stands right now, barring any unforeseen circumstances like what happened with Cross or someone going pro:

Returning players
Wong - SG
Beverly - SG
Timberlake - SF
Walker - PF

Incoming freshman
Joseph - PG (hasn't signed his LOI but I'm assuming he's coming)
Robinson - SF
Poplar - SG

Players who might come back for another season
Brooks - C
Sam - PF
McGusty - SG/SF
Lykes - PG
Olayini - SF

Players who are leaving (per L)
Miller - C
Gak - C

So barring anything unexpected, we have 7 for sure players on next year's team, and 6 of those are guards/wings.

If all 5 of the players in question decide to return, we only have 1 scholarship remaining. This is highly unlikely.

If none of the players in question decide to return, we have a whopping 6 scholarships still available. Also pretty unlikely.

The most likely scenario is 2 or 3 of the 5 decide to come back (my guess is Sam and Olayini come back while the others leave). We would still have 3 or 4 scholarships available. And since we are all but done recruiting high school players in this class, we are going to have to load up on transfers and JUCO's. I hope the staff has a plan. Recent roster management history says they don't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Exactly and he is at a high school in FL. That is why fascinates me about this staff and recruiting.
There is always talent available if you are looking for it.
The work ethic and drive of a great recruiter is so underappreciated when you have it.
But yet we have posters on this board (often the ones who slurp and excuse L for everything no matter what) who refuse to admit our neglect of in state recruiting is a problem. I would be curious to hear L’s take on why we don’t recruit the state of Florida.

Advertisement
Back