2021 Recruiting

Advertisement

Once Nisine Poplar committed, that closed the door on any other SG.
Ironically, Miles Kelly commits to Georgia Tech this week and now Holt goes to Alabama.
Miami will take another wing (SF) and it is probably between Kaleb Washington or Jon Camden. Lucas Taylor is also an option but I think he will commit to Wake Forest.

Advertisement

The Illini are competing with programs like Miami and Marquette, who I believe are the two programs heavily competing with UI for Etienne’s talent. Brad Underwood, Jim Larranaga, and Marquette’s staff all recently completed zoom calls with him and he told me that he doesn’t have any others scheduled.

Looks like Mac Etienne is down to Miami, Illinois and Marquette. This is not his official list but he does not have any other virtual visits scheduled.

Sounds like we're in a real good spot for Jakai Robinson. Crystal ball entered for him to Miami.

Multiple sources indicate that a decision is expected quite soon from Robinson and that the Miami Hurricanes are the team to beat as we get down to the nitty gritty.

Because of that, I have issued a high confidence Crystal Ball pick for the Hurricanes with Robinson.

Robinson would provide shot making to a young Hurricane backcourt and be someone who likely could contribute from day one on campus.

Source

Advertisement

A shooter is always needed in a recruiting class. Unfortunately, I don't have full access to the article. I think @RiDLer80 has posted a snippet of the article above.

Larranaga really likes his 6'4"-6'5" SGs I guess. In the last two years, Harlond, McGusty, Poplar, and now possibly Jakai Robinson. Would like to see some more size, guys who are on the bigger end at forward. Earl is a good size at 6'6" and Cross is also nice. Would like to take a true big in the 2021 class and if not another big, at least a bigger guy like Rafael Castro.

Advertisement

A shooter is always needed in a recruiting class. Unfortunately, I don't have full access to the article. I think @RiDLer80 has posted a snippet of the article above.

Article says he is set to commit "quite soon" and the author has issued a "high confidence" crystal ball pick.

It mentions he is a good shooter. Have you read that elsewhere?

Advertisement
Larranaga really likes his 6'4"-6'5" SGs I guess. In the last two years, Harlond, McGusty, Poplar, and now possibly Jakai Robinson. Would like to see some more size, guys who are on the bigger end at forward. Earl is a good size at 6'6" and Cross is also nice. Would like to take a true big in the 2021 class and if not another big, at least a bigger guy like Rafael Castro.
I completely agree. I would prefer guys who are 6'6 and over on the wings but as long as they are making jump shots, creating scoring plays and playing solid defense, I will not complain.
The biggest win is that finally the staff is going to use all of the available scholarships on upgrading the talent on the roster.

Article says he is set to commit "quite soon" and the author has issued a "high confidence" crystal ball pick.

It mentions he is a good shooter. Have you read that elsewhere?

Yes. He is a solid built lefty with a nice stroke. I actually thought once Poplar committed, the staff would focus on Kaleb Washington more.
This could be a case where the first one to commits gets the scholarship.

This is interesting because Mac Etienne is not doing any other virtual visits. He had virtual visits with Miami, Marquette and Illinois.
I wonder if this means Etienne has eliminated Illinois so they are moving on to another prospect.

Sounds like we're in a real good spot for Jakai Robinson. Crystal ball entered for him to Miami.

Multiple sources indicate that a decision is expected quite soon from Robinson and that the Miami Hurricanes are the team to beat as we get down to the nitty gritty.

Because of that, I have issued a high confidence Crystal Ball pick for the Hurricanes with Robinson.

Robinson would provide shot making to a young Hurricane backcourt and be someone who likely could contribute from day one on campus.

Source

Like the sound of that. Also like double dipping on the wing, you can never have too much wing depth.

Wonder though if that telegraphs that the staff thinks Timberlake is a 1 and done.

Advertisement
Back