2021 Recruiting

Joseph, Poplar, Robinson, Castro, Aidoo & Etienne would be a great class.

I don't want a 6 man freshman class, both because they need to balance the classes, and because we also need a grad transfer big for next year.

Imo, Joseph, Poplar, Robinson, PF, C in the 2021 class + whatever immediately eligible 7 footer you can find in the portal would be ideal.

Advertisement
Like the sound of that. Also like double dipping on the wing, you can never have too much wing depth.

Wonder though if that telegraphs that the staff thinks Timberlake is a 1 and done.

Honestly, I thought getting a commitment from Elijah Olaniyi was the indicator that Earl is a one and done player.
It was always hard for me to comprehend why a guy who was a near 20 point scorer would transfer to sit out and come off the bench.
Elijah will start in 2021-22 as Earl should be a rookie in the NBA.

Interesting.
I read last week that Carter Whitt is recruiting Lucas Taylor and Jonas Aidoo to join him at Wake Forest. Let's see how this plays out.

Honestly, I thought getting a commitment from Elijah Olaniyi was the indicator that Earl is a one and done player.
It was always hard for me to comprehend why a guy who was a near 20 point scorer would transfer to sit out and come off the bench.
Elijah will start in 2021-22 as Earl should be a rookie in the NBA.

Personally, I don't think Eli had anything to do with Timberlake. Even if Timberlake stays, I think both start alongside Wong, Bev, and whatever C we wind up with.

I also think the staff didn't want Gak to be the only senior on the team. Not just because they wanted to balance the classes, but also because they're desperately going to need some leadership with that group. Bev epitomizes the saying lazy but talented, Wong seems pretty soft-spoken and reserved off the court, and Walker and Gak have absolutely no clue what they're doing.

As far as leadership goes, that leaves Timberlake, Cross, freshman, and whatever transfer(s) they pickup. They needed a seasoned vet; enter Olaniyi.

Advertisement
Capturenb.PNG

With Castro apparently now 6'10 (and maybe still growin?) could he become our Big Man, or some sort of "quasi"C even though not his trained position. I'll admit my ignorance and hope to learn something from any answers or comments. OFC we first have to have Castro choose Canes on Oct 9!

Last edited:
I may be proven wrong but I don't think Timberlake is a "one and done" player. Certainly not guaranteed that he'll be NBA-ready after only this season, even if most/all games are played.
The love he gets from scouts is huge. He fits into the mold of a Jaylen Brown type player, who as a Boston fan is exactly what teams will look to draft in the future. Highly switchable wing with a solid jumper is always gonna have draft appeal. Okoro as a poor jump shooter is getting looks in the top 10 because of his defense and athleticism. If Earl is a legit 6'6" or grows to 6'7", shows good iq on both sides of the ball, and has a solid looking jumpshot (~35% from 3) he will 100% get drafted in the first round. Either way it's a win win for us. This season will go very well if Earl can do all those things and our sophomores have progressed. If not, next season with Earl as a sophomore with a chip on his shoulder should dominate along with the other guys on our roster.

I don't want a 6 man freshman class, both because they need to balance the classes, and because we also need a grad transfer big for next year.

Imo, Joseph, Poplar, Robinson, PF, C in the 2021 class + whatever immediately eligible 7 footer you can find in the portal would be ideal.
Yep, we need a Brooks type player who's immediately eligible who can come in and be our big while rotating with whichever freshmen bigs we bring in. Big man depth is severely lacking after Brooks is gone this year.

The love he gets from scouts is huge. He fits into the mold of a Jaylen Brown type player, who as a Boston fan is exactly what teams will look to draft in the future. Highly switchable wing with a solid jumper is always gonna have draft appeal. Okoro as a poor jump shooter is getting looks in the top 10 because of his defense and athleticism. If Earl is a legit 6'6" or grows to 6'7", shows good iq on both sides of the ball, and has a solid looking jumpshot (~35% from 3) he will 100% get drafted in the first round. Either way it's a win win for us. This season will go very well if Earl can do all those things and our sophomores have progressed. If not, next season with Earl as a sophomore with a chip on his shoulder should dominate along with the other guys on our roster.
From what I see of today's NBA, if you wanna go in the first-half of the first round, you better be a knock-down 3 point shooter, unless you're a 4 or 5 (and maybe even then some). I don't think Earl is that at this point. We shall see.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Per the article, neither Duke nor Kentucky have offered him.

As soon as UK offers he's gone. We have to hope he doesn't play well enough to get UK interest lol. No matter where the roots were recruiting wise, kids will flock to UK the second they get an offer. Duke maybe, but I'm more scared of UK. Him holding out this long is bad for us, as his stock will probably keep rising. I believe we should be front runners until a bigger program does offer.

View attachment 132347
With Garcia apparently now 6'10 (and maybe still growin?) could he become our Big Man, or some sort of "quasi"C even though not his trained position. I'll admit my ignorance and hope to learn something from any answers or comments. OFC we first have to have Garcia choose Canes on Oct 9!

The post you quoted talks about a Castro kid, who is the Garcia kid you're talking about.

Advertisement
Wasn't too convinced about the kid but scouts/others seem to believe in his two way potential so I'll take it. More excited about Poplar in this class tbh as a scorer.

Also realized that Bensley is ranked a good bit higher on ESPN, so he may be a steal as well.

The post you quoted talks about a Castro kid, who is the Garcia kid you're talking about.
Oooops, was thinking on Jake Garcia for Football Canes yesterday... got them mixed up. (Plus all these quoted tweets by JAKE (weingarten) lol. I meant Castro, will now edit. Would love to have both, of course become Canes. Thanks!

Advertisement
Back