2021 Recruiting Class Countdown: #20-16

Advertisement
For some reason in my head I keep thinking Troutman is the most underrated player in this class. I think he maybe our next Eddie Johnson at LB.

Malik is my favorite type of player to have at the bottom of the class. High upside.

Brantley and Rodriguez are great, too because they seem like team guys.

Not sold on Troutman.

Seems like Haye has gotten mixed reactions from the locals, so I’ll defer to them and admit I don’t have a **** clue.

Troutman looks pretty solid to me so if he’s our lowest graded commit we’re cookin..also regarding Curtis he looks faster to me than his track times, he has that pull away acceleration..good write up tho LR..
U have to wait to see when the speed increases around him will he look as fast. Sometimes we get tricked and see a guy blazing fast but sometimes the guys around them are slow. So they look faster....I think he's fast though or fast enough at least. Travis Benjamin speed I don't know about that TB was special fast

Advertisement
He's right lol our lb evals have been horrid....new staff on D we will target real ballers at that spot.

yeah Troutman looks the part of a Manny LB recruit and that’s not a compliment. Doesn’t mean he can’t be quality and okay fast with good coaching and commitment. But there’s a reason a lot of us wanted Lewis.

Disappointed to read that Troutman "lacks instincts." I'm assuming you're referring to his ability to diagnose a play. This is bad news as that's not something a kid all of a sudden learns at age 19 or 20.

We've got to start recruiting LBs that can diagnose the play. I don't care how fast, big, or tough a kid is. If he can't read the play lightning-quick, he's lost.

Before everyone writes him off, let's see what T-Will (an undersized LB himself) can do to help Troutman develop. Almost every HS LB has to relearn taking on blocks and wrapping up when they enter college.

Advertisement
Disappointed to read that Troutman "lacks instincts." I'm assuming you're referring to his ability to diagnose a play. This is bad news as that's not something a kid all of a sudden learns at age 19 or 20.

We've got to start recruiting LBs that can diagnose the play. I don't care how fast, big, or tough a kid is. If he can't read the play lightning-quick, he's lost.
Yeah, reading keys can be taught. Most LB’s read keys and go. Few of them rely on instincts to get to the spot in time to make plays (Pinckney was this type)

The great ones do both.

Multiple times Troutman lost the ball or misread the key and that led to huge holes. An evaluation is just that, it’s not the final chapter. I just don’t love where the book is starting.

Advertisement
To be fair..the game @Lance Roffers is watching on Troutman is one against STA. A game he was at an extreme talent disadvantage from the gate.

That being said...I never trusted Manny's lb evals all too tough and you can look back years on me saying this.

I dont have problem with Troutman in this class...I like his toughness and his ability to run plays down from behind. He could be asolid will down the road

Miami signed 21 players in the early signing period and it looks to be a really strong class. Everyone loves a list, so I decided to watch a full game of every recruit and then rank them. A few caveats: 1. I’m not ranking the kicker, because frankly, I’m not a kicker expert. Safe to say he’s a great kicking prospect and he probably starts as a freshman. 2. Someone has to populate every spot on the list. Someone has to be last. Someone has to be 17th etc. This is a good recruiting class and some good recruits are going in at these lower rankings. 3. I’ve been wrong before and some of the players ranked at the bottom will prove me wrong and some at the top probably will as well.

Methodology
  • Linear Speed- How fast is the recruit in a straight line compared to other P5 prospects at that same position. Corey Flagg would be a 5 for linear speed at ILB etc.
  • Agility- Ability to change directions compared to other P5 prospects at that same position. DJ Ivey would be a 5 for agility at CB.
  • Frame- Prospects frame compared to other P5 prospects at that same position. Nesta Silvera would be a 5 for frame at DT.
  • Potential- With average development in a P5 program, what is the ultimate potential of a prospect compared to other P5 prospects at that same position. N’Kosi Perry would be a 5 for potential at QB.
The List

20. Deshawn Troutman- ILB, 6-1, 205, Edgewater (Orlando, Florida) #685 overall (3-star)

Linear Speed- 7, Agility- 6, Frame- 5, Potential- 6

Strengths: Can really run in a straight line. Flashes range that is well above-average in coverage. Can turn and run with a receiver down the seam and get to landmarks quickly. Run-and-chase type LB’er. Here he shows range by sifting through traffic and meeting the RB outside to stop a big play.
View attachment 143216

Opportunities: Lacks weight and struggles to tackle at times. In the picture below, Hankerson shrugs him off for a TD on 3rd down.
View attachment 143217

Run fits can be a struggle for Troutman, as he tends to go around blocks, rather than stack-and-shed or fill the hole hard. The St. Thomas Aquinas RB is a star, but he was clearly a talent that Troutman struggled with. Two of St. Thomas Aquinas’ TD’s were because the RB ran over Troutman into the end zone.

Here he is pushed completely out of the hole by a TE after he had already overrun his gap. Often times he was playing run defense by backing up and hoping to make a tackle with the angle after a sizeable gain.
View attachment 143218

Run fits can be a struggle for Troutman, as he tends to go around blocks, rather than stack-and-shed or fill the hole hard. The St. Thomas Aquinas RB is a star, but he was clearly a talent that Troutman struggled with. Two of St. Thomas Aquinas’ TD’s were because the RB ran over Troutman into the end zone.

Here he is pushed completely out of the hole by a TE after he had already overrun his gap. Often times he was playing run defense by backing up and hoping to make a tackle with the angle after a sizeable gain.
View attachment 143219

Overall: You can see the appeal in Troutman, as he is an athletic player who brings range and speed. Similar to Avery Huff in that he needs to add weight and is lacking in instincts. Like Huff, he will most likely struggle to make an early impact. The best hope for Troutman to be an impact player is to put him at WLB and ask him to chase plays from the backside.

19. Allan Haye- DT, 6-1, 296, Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood, Florida) #918 overall (3-star)

Linear Speed- 5, Agility- 6, Frame- 4, Potential- 5

Strengths: Built like a fire hydrant, Haye shows great strength and an ability to anchor. He has a big gut and looks like he’d be a NT-only, but shows legitimate burst, speed, and change-of-direction. Tries to do his assignment and not be the hero, which is a foundational element for your run defense.

Uses his hands well for a high school DT. Already possessing a swim move, ability to swipe the hands of an OL off of him, and the grip strength to keep his lane.
View attachment 143220

Opportunities: Plays far too high for a DT. Allows himself to be stood up and neutralized due to a lack of length. His path to good rotational play is to utilize leverage and strength to hold point-of-attack in run game and first step quickness in pass game, both of which are maximized by playing lower.
View attachment 143221

Overall: There are definitely tools to work with here, as Haye plays with a strong motor, is naturally powerful, and will do the dirty work inside. He understands hand usage and has a nice first step. Lack of length, playing too upright, lack of finishing tools in pass rush, and just an average athlete cap his ceiling to that of a rotational player, but as a second DT you could do worse because of his willingness to occupy blockers and let others get the glory. Miami has a lot of glory players and need more ditch-diggers.

18. Khalil Brantley- TE, 6-2, 205, Miami Northwestern (Miami, Florida) #800 (3-star)

Linear Speed- 8, Agility- 6, Frame- 4, Potential- 6

Strengths: Brantley has receiver skills and excellent straight-line speed. For a player built as stockily as he is, he was often running away from Florida HS DB’s. Understands how to attack the MOF and has good hand-eye coordination.

Opportunities: Lacks suddenness to his routes. Often times looked like he has build-up speed, rather than burst to create on his own. Lots of free releases and never really had to play through contact and keep going into his route. Is truly an oversized WR right now and will need to learn how to play in both a detached role and in-line as a TE. Due to lack of length, he might be destined for more of an H-back role than a true TE role.

Overall: Offense at Northwestern didn’t do him many favors as they tended to feature slot WR’s and Romello Brinson when they weren’t running the ball. Similar prospect to current Miami Hurricane Larry Hodges, lacks the height and length to play the Y-TE role and will be utilized as an F-TE almost exclusively. No standout skill, as while his top-end speed is very good, it takes him a while to get there and he isn’t especially agile or athletic. Also tends to fade away from the catch point rather than snatch the ball away from defenders.

17. Malik Curtis- CB, 5-11, 160, Bishop Verot (Ft. Myers, FL) #895 (3-star)

Linear Speed- 7, Agility- 8, Frame- 5, Potential- 6

Strengths: Two-way prospect with excellent ball skills, most see him as a better prospect on the offensive side of the ball. Outstanding ball skills, can track the ball and contort his body to make difficult catches. Extremely agile has the ability to make cuts at full-speed which makes it seem like defenders with an angle can’t tackle him. Return ability gives him the chance to play early.

Opportunities: Is essentially starting over at the CB position. Limited tape at the position makes him a projection and to play CB in a defense like Miami requires an ability to tackle. Miami teaches the rugby tackling technique and this is new for Curtis. Thin-framed and skinny legs will limit his ceiling.

Overall: One of the higher floors of any of the prospects due to high certainty he will contribute on special teams and has fallback of playing WR. Several prominent CB’s in college football were primarily WR’s in HS and Curtis has athletic ability to make it work. This is a developmental prospect on defense who will test the new coaching staff.

16. Ryan Rodriguez- OC, 6-3, 280, Columbus (Miami, FL) #412 (3-star)

Linear Speed- 5, Agility- 5, Frame- 6, Potential- 7

Strengths: Reviewed my list with Danny prior to releasing it and the first thing he said was, “you’re too low on Ryan Rodriguez.” My response was it’s pretty amazing that I have 16 prospects with a 7 or higher on potential. If things break right for Rodriguez he has the chance to make an All-ACC team at C. Prototype mauler, gets most out of his tools type who will fight. Biggest strength is fact that he is a finisher and his on-field temperament. There are certain players you can see they just enjoy the violence of the game and Rodriguez is one of those players. Looks for work and I didn’t watch a play where he didn’t find someone to hit. It might surprise you how many plays of OL I watch where they don’t touch a soul and that is just not my kind of lineman.

Opportunities: In comparison to other P5 OL he does not have any other standout skill. He is heavy-legged and lacks the foot-speed to get to the outside shoulder of a 3-tech on a reach block. Lacks balance and gets over his toes at the second level. Bends at the waist too much and would have more initial pop if he would bend at the knees and engage his hips more.

Overall: So why does Rodriguez get a 7 for potential? Because he has the ability to develop into a standout C due to his on-field temperament and finishing ability. The tools are there to unlock the balance with technique and have a reasonable facsimile of a Creed Humphrey type player. The floor is also one of the lowest in this class because I do not see a standout G at this level and his lack of foot speed limits his upside if he doesn’t improve balance. Like him, but really do not like OL on the ground.

Be on the lookout for the rest of the list as Miami has signed a number of exciting recruits in this class; many of whom will contribute depth and effective practice reps immediately.

great write-up. (as usual)

and i concur with pretty much all your conclusions. but, it's a bit depressing as it really exposes the "soggy bottom" of the class.

compare the bottom 5 at Ala/Clem/OSU to these guys, (no's 16-20) and what would you see? ......

yep. exactly.

you can't be elite if the guys pushing the front line players aren't potentially front line as well. it's how you get guys like jennings and mccloud fighting each other for playing time, and no real results from either

Advertisement
If that is the backend of our class, this is an outstanding class. Normally the backends of the class are filled with low 3 star guys with limited measurables. I think all 5 of these dudes contribute during their careers, some soon and more than others. Love the insight Lance!

To be fair..the game @Lance Roffers is watching on Troutman is one against STA. A game he was at an extreme talent disadvantage from the gate.

That being said...I never trusted Manny's lb evals all too tough and you can look back years on me saying this.

I dont have problem with Troutman in this class...I like his toughness and his ability to run plays down from behind. He could be asolid will down the road

I hope by "he was at an extreme talent disadvantage" you mean that his team was outgunned, and therefore he was being asked to do too much, not that he himself was less talented than the STA kids.

Not sure why people continue to compare the back end of our class to Alabama and express disappointment that they dont look the same.

At least be slightly realistic with your expectations. Alabama has played in 5 of the last 6 national championships and won 6 of the last 12. They just secured the highest rated class in history. Their "budget" is almost limitless. No, our bottom 5 recruits are not going to look like Bamas. In fact, even in our glory years it it wasn't that way.

The goal is to continue stacking good classes (hopefully improving on the last one every year), pulling a good chunk of the deep South Florida talent and evaluating well. Evaluations yet to be seen but overall I think things are headed in the right direction. We are not going to be recruiting like Alabama overnight. Realistically we probably never will, thats not the blueprint for how great Miami teams are built.

Advertisement
Back