NFL 2021 Draft

I don't agree that Phillips cost himself money. I don't think returning should even have been in consideration for him. He'll be 22 shortly after the draft, had major injuries earlier in his career that almost cost him his career, and he showed everything he possibly could on film. Teams who draft him know they're gonna get a guy who plays hard, is physical, and has developing rush moves. Returning to show the same things but better and delay your career by a year is stupid.

Rousseau has far more question marks on tape and you see those brought up every time he's mentioned anywhere. You can talk about his size and enticing traits but I don't see other players listed in the top 20 with so many caveats and reservations. Maybe Fields and Lance but they're QBs. I still think once coaches get involved in the process GR's stock will fall further. Coaches really value run defense and GR struggles at the point of attack. His talent should get him drafted late in the 1st though once the high floor studs are off the board.

Likewise Jordan has 4 things he could do to raise his stock dramatically: stay healthy, create separation in his routes, catch the ball in traffic/away from his frame and block. That's a lot of knocks on a short TE which is why you see him in the 3rd/4th range behind a relatively JAG talent in Hunter Long. I can't argue against it either because at least Long can create separation at the top of the route stem a la Witten and make contested catches.

Advertisement
You know what I mean. He didn’t cost himself money coming out of retirement.

I do think he could’ve come back next season, made a case to be edge rusher #1 in the entire draft. Hence he cost himself money coming out this year, when he had the upside to make a big climb.

Jordan could’ve also benefited. No he wouldn’t have grown, but he hasn’t shown he can stay healthy. If I’m spending a top 100 pick on a player, I want them to prove to me they can play football games.

It is a much better TE draft this year than say last year, so not sure what you are talking about about there.
I hear you.

But if you have injury concerns...not sure coming back to play for free makes sense when....you can get injured again.

I rather collect while my name is hot. I didnt fault phillips AT ALL. Like he literally saw his football career end and we revived him. Brevin is gone by the 3rd round. If he comes back...he is gone by the 3rd round. Might as well get some money.

I don't agree that Phillips cost himself money. I don't think returning should even have been in consideration for him. He'll be 22 shortly after the draft, had major injuries earlier in his career that almost cost him his career, and he showed everything he possibly could on film. Teams who draft him know they're gonna get a guy who plays hard, is physical, and has developing rush moves. Returning to show the same things but better and delay your career by a year is stupid.

Rousseau has far more question marks on tape and you see those brought up every time he's mentioned anywhere. You can talk about his size and enticing traits but I don't see other players listed in the top 20 with so many caveats and reservations. Maybe Fields and Lance but they're QBs. I still think once coaches get involved in the process GR's stock will fall further. Coaches really value run defense and GR struggles at the point of attack. His talent should get him drafted late in the 1st though once the high floor studs are off the board.

Likewise Jordan has 4 things he could do to raise his stock dramatically: stay healthy, create separation in his routes, catch the ball in traffic/away from his frame and block. That's a lot of knocks on a short TE which is why you see him in the 3rd/4th range behind a relatively JAG talent in Hunter Long. I can't argue against it either because at least Long can create separation at the top of the route stem a la Witten and make contested catches.

Its all about fit with Brevin. I dont think he is behing Hunter Long though. Its him and the Penn State kid likely duking it out. Who knows what Brevin runs...if he is sub 4.7 he locks in definite top 3 te coming out.

Just in last years te class there were like 3 te's with close to his measurements that went in the 3rd round area. With the Pats drafting two of them that i dont think can hold Brevin's jock. That being said there arent much 6'2-6'3 te's going 1st roung anyway. So he likely like i said was coming back playing for free and possibly moving up 20 spots at most.

I’m not even convinced Rousseau LIKES football. He’s hardly played any snaps, and he chose to sit out.

No doubt he’s athletic... but the NFL is a grind. He hasn’t proven that he can or even wants to put in the time and take a beating for 16+ games a season.

IDK, we’ll see what happens. He’s gifted for sure, you got that part right
You raise a legit issue but it’s somewhat binary. guys get interviewed in detail. If the league thinks he doesn’t hsve it in him to play hsrd, he’s going to slip a long way.

but if that doesn’t turn out to be the case, there just aren’t many DEs with his physocal capabilities. Or so many expect from the combine.

we’ll see. If he measures out as a ‘break the mold’ kid, the nfl will reach for hope and draft him high.

Advertisement
Been saying this since he opted out. It’s gonna cost him.

Nobody likes a quitter, and he’s only played a year of college football. Too big of a risk for any GM to blow a 1st round pick on, as I see it.

I still think he slips out of the 1st round

WR- Chase
LB - Parsons
CB - Farley
DE - Rousseau

All these guys were considered the top 1 or 2 players at their position coming into this year. Each opted out and are still considered top 15-20 picks in the large majority of mock drafts right now.

So why would Rousseau be a quitter who doesn't like football and the other guys aren't? Or do you think all 4 are quitters who will fall of the 1st Round?

You raise a legit issue but it’s somewhat binary. guys get interviewed in detail. If the league thinks he doesn’t hsve it in him to play hsrd, he’s going to slip a long way.

but if that doesn’t turn out to be the case, there just aren’t many DEs with his physocal capabilities. Or so many expect from the combine.

we’ll see. If he measures out as a ‘break the mold’ kid, the nfl will reach for hope and draft him high.

You said it well there.

Advertisement
Kid opts out to take care of his mom and some question his passion for the game.. his mom was a health care worker and he didn't want her exposed to covid.. so he went pro and took the bags

He’s not the only college or NFL player who has a mom.

What if he had been in the NFL already, would he have sat the season out?

I don't fault for Rousseau for making whatever decision he felt was best for him. It's his life. Strictly on the field though, I think he made a mistake by opting out. He could have been in the discussion for top non-QB in the draft with another year of tape + development which would have been huge for him considering how raw he was in 2019. I'm hoping he blows away whatever workouts he gets put through and can sneak into the top 10 but it seems every mock draft has him slipping further and further down.

My Rousseau Prediction:

He'll continue to slip on draft boards for the next month....until teams see him workout. When they see his size/athleticism combo in person - that upside will bump him back up draft boards

Agree. They shouldn't overthink this. Rousseau has elite size, moves like a LB, had 15.5 sacks in his only season and is smart with clean character. He will go high and play well.

You can talk about his size and enticing traits but I don't see other players listed in the top 20 with so many caveats and reservations.
The caveats and reservations are manufactured to me. It's nitpicky stuff that will look bad in retrospect. He dominated guards because that's where we put him. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

You take productive freaks. Teams nitpicked Derrick Henry. Same with DK Metcalf and Lamar Jackson. In retrospect, it's insane that so many teams missed.

Give me a 6'7 monster with fluidity, COD and bend who is also the most productive pass rusher in the draft by far.

Advertisement
Overall, this is our best draft class in forever. We have four guys with Pro Bowl potential in Rousseau, Phillips, Jordan and Borregales.

Roche is more of a role player but should find a home on Day 3.
Am I crazy or is Roche built for the Terrell Suggs role?

Advertisement
I hear you.

But if you have injury concerns...not sure coming back to play for free makes sense when....you can get injured again.

I rather collect while my name is hot. I didnt fault phillips AT ALL. Like he literally saw his football career end and we revived him. Brevin is gone by the 3rd round. If he comes back...he is gone by the 3rd round. Might as well get some money.

I'm 100% with you on that. And are top 3 players that played this year are great examples of that.

Quincy Roche - He had 10 sacks over his last 5 games at Temple last year. The narrative was he'd transfer to Miami have a big year in the ACC, an improve his draft stock. That didn't happen. He had a good year, I don't necessarily think he hurt himself, but he may have. He definitely didn't help himself. A case could be made that if he left last year, or came back to Temple and dominated the AAC for 7 games that his draft stock/upside would be seen as higher than what it is now. But that possible scenario will NEVER be discussed here.

Jalen Phillips - Had 1.5 sacks thru the first 6 games & 6.5 sacks over the last 4 games. The last 4 games shot his stock way up - so go while you're hot.

Brevin Jordan - Came off being injured this year and had 311 yds in his last 3 games. If he missed games due to injury each of his first 3 years, wouldn't the assumption be he'll probably get injured again next year? Sometimes the longer you stay in school, the more your weaknesses get exposed. Go while you're hot.

Last edited:
Been saying this since he opted out. It’s gonna cost him.

Nobody likes a quitter, and he’s only played a year of college football. Too big of a risk for any GM to blow a 1st round pick on, as I see it.

I still think he slips out of the 1st round
So if he goes early 2nd it was still a "mistake?"

Advertisement
Back