Official 2021 DL Darrell Jackson - COMMITS

Any summary or news on where things stand with the kid (Darrell Jackson, not Malik Rosier)? Thanks.
I don't think anyone knows, not since Cribby said Miami is trying to get him to shut it down and commit, and UF is trying to get him on campus one more time.

Advertisement
You never stop recruiting the best talent regardless of where it’s at. But I posted on the Cormani thread that just because Mario is here we got this great staff, these north fla kids still grow up as fans of those schools and the south Florida kids still grow up wanting to go to the front runners and not Miami. Our perception of what this program is isn’t the same as a 16 year old kid from north Florida or even south Florida.

There is a lot of of ground that Mario has to gain when it come to what this generation thinks about Miami. Mario has been here several months and we aren’t all of the sudden going to be favorites for dudes from up there.

Now don’t get me wrong, what he’s done so far is downright incredible. But there is still a lot of ground to make up.
Imo Mario has to recruit more like Howard than Butch. Easier to land a dude like Shemar then trying to sway a kid like a Jackson.

It’s already hard enough to recruit elite dudes close to campus so imagine how difficult it is to try to get some North Florida kids and some out-of-state kids. Not saying we’re gonna lose all of those battles, but again, our perception is way different. It’s amazing we’re even in play for these players from up there and oos. Once we start winning then the odds will tip in our favor dramatically.

Agree. I do think the portal and NIL are game changers though. FSU can't compete on NIL deals at this point, UF can but not at the same level.

And as @Liberty City El says, transfers have a different calculus, They either want to go play neare home (bad for us, good for UF/FSU) or they want to get national exposure, NFL-level coaching and a big NIL deal prior to going pro (good for us, bad for UF/FSU). I think the guys we want are more in the latter camp anyway.

Moreover, with recruiters like Mario and his staff, they'll have laid the groundwork during the high school recruiting process to capitalize when the kid hits the transfer portal.

Deejay Dallas was a small town kid. Allen Bailey was a small town kid. I could list 100 examples. People really have to stop painting recruiting with the same brush. Every kid is different. Every situation is different. Every single one.
There are exceptions sure. Hopefully that's Jackson. But on a macro level...I disagree.

But if you can name 100 that stick and become good soldiers...there are 1000 that we wasted time on or didn't last here.

If you think the cost benefit is there...thats your opinion and more power to you...the cost benefit in mine isn't there. You go after these guys because you can't get local ones or ones that better fit the culture. Us chasing these guys during any incarnation of 2000s Miami is not a sign of good evals and leaving no stone unturned...its a sign of desperation because we can't get someone else...

Mario is different...but would Mario go after Jackson if we weren't desperate? Maybe...maybe not.

Advertisement
Agree. I do think the portal and NIL are game changers though. FSU can't compete on NIL deals at this point, UF can but not at the same level.

And as @Liberty City El says, transfers have a different calculus, They either want to go play neare home (bad for us, good for UF/FSU) or they want to get national exposure, NFL-level coaching and a big NIL deal prior to going pro (good for us, bad for UF/FSU). I think the guys we want are more in the latter camp anyway.

Moreover, with recruiters like Mario and his staff, they'll have laid the groundwork during the high school recruiting process to capitalize when the kid hits the transfer portal.
FSUs two most famous alums:

1. Is actively out-recruiting them

2. Unless she sells Favre’s **** pics I don’t think she can offer much money

this is not on Gaby. Cooney had tweeted the bat signal before Gaby posted his CB
Unless he spoke with someone directly on staff & they told him, “we got him”, he didn’t need to log in a CB.

I’m not saying it’s his fault if we don’t get him, but putting in a CB was premature & unnecessary.

If he logged in a CB just off a random & vague tweet from Pop Cooney, that’s pretty **** dumb tbh lol

Advertisement
this is not on Gaby. Cooney had tweeted the bat signal before Gaby posted his CB
I am talking about all of them. Gaby, coaches, Ruiz, etc, but yes, especially Gaby!

The Cooney thing can be interpreted in many ways though. He’s not flat out putting a CB and making things obvious.

Gaby’s been on thin ice for a while for revealing things he shouldn’t be sharing.

There are exceptions sure. Hopefully that's Jackson. But on a macro level...I disagree.

But if you can name 100 that stick and become good soldiers...there are 1000 that we wasted time on or didn't last here.

If you think the cost benefit is there...thats your opinion and more power to you...the cost benefit in mine isn't there. You go after these guys because you can't get local ones or ones that better fit the culture. Us chasing these guys during any incarnation of 2000s Miami is not a sign of good evals and leaving no stone unturned...its a sign of desperation because we can't get someone else...

Mario is different...but would Mario go after Jackson if we weren't desperate? Maybe...maybe not.
I can understand what you are saying here. My opinion on the matter is this, you go after all the players you believe are talented and would help your team regardless of location, so long as you know or believe you have some form of a chance to land the player, all you can hope for in recruiting is an opportunity to sell yourself and the program. You minimize your risk by having ample options from all locations thereby not being dependent on one player. Regardless of your overall team talent situation you should always be "mining" to bring in more talent.

If we weren't desperate for a kid like Jackson would we or should we go after him? For me, the answer is always yes, always be looking to infuse more talent at all times and at all costs. For me, if you are constantly doing that you will never be desperate to go after a kid and have it hurt if you missed out on one.

Y'all really think Gaby's cb had anything to do with this? Yeah right.

CB are literally designed to make guesses where someone will land. And at one point, the earlier they are made the better for the reporter. Plus there's a confidence score for HS players

Y'all need to quit whining. This dude was all Florida before he got here, sounds like we made an impression, and now he may have gotten talked back into going to FLA.

If Florida can call him and convince him to visit, Miami can call him and convince him not to

Just sounds like an impressionable 19 yr old from North Florida

CB are literally designed to make guesses where someone will land. And at one point, the earlier they are made the better for the reporter. Plus there's a confidence score for HS players

Y'all need to quit whining. This dude was all Florida before he got here, sounds like we made an impression, and now he may have gotten talked back into going to FLA.

If Florida can call him and convince him to visit, Miami can call him and convince him not to

I’m thinking this too. Sure Gaby has had his issues lately but someone gave him this info knowing what he’d do with it. If he was coming and he called to tell Napier do we think he wouldn’t have had the same conversation he did after the CB? Maybe I’m wrong but I just think Gaby is the low hanging fruit here and it’s easy to put the blame on him.

Advertisement
IDK what he did or didn’t say to Mario and staff. It certainly seemed like more than just Gaby got word the kid had either told the staff he was coming before he left or led them to believe he was going to be committing.

Canesport was reporting late yesterday that they heard UF was “hammering” him all day and they also had said earlier they expected good news.

Shodell said he got no response when he called the kid yesterday to ask about the Miami visit. A few minutes later someone called him back and said he was Jackson’s “agent”.

Maybe he will take the visit this weekend or maybe he won’t. Won’t be the last time something like this happens.

Advertisement

The problem with CBs is that these guys don’t like hitting a low percentage on them so they now tend to wait until the very late minute to put one in as it helps their numbers with their subscribers.

IMO, late CBs now give info to the competition. In this case, UiF putting serious pressure on the kid.

Overall, you are correct when it comes to these but I am not discounting that in some instances, it can have an effect in which the competition reacts with pressure, NIL bag, etc.

Like someone mentioned earlier. Sucks if we miss, but I’m glad we’re more frequently in the conversation with these types of players.. Kinda feel the dude wouldn’t have made the trip down if Manny was around, or Manny wouldn’t have felt the need to try to pick him up.

At the end of the day you can’t win every recruiting battle, but as long as we have a hat in and winning a majority of the important ones. I’m good.

Advertisement
Back