2020 Roster Discussion

What year did you watch him? Because you made this claim six months ago, which I found amusing because he was injured and didnt even pitch that season.

My post was on April 3rd, 2019. In what alternate universe is that "six months ago"???? And Munroe has not been injured.

You really nailed that post.

Advertisement
FYI...Munroe was never injured. He chose not to play his Shopmore and Junior year in high school (his high school coach A.S. can verifty). He just played for his National Team and trained at Florida Baseball Ranch all year long (can verify this with Randy Sullivan owner of FBR). Miami was aware of this and were supportive as they know how FBR develops pitchers.

I saw that kid at FBR 4-5 days a week...he is legit.

As Jaromir said, Ridge had a very young team...not much better than a typicall Freshman team. As Jaromir further said, Ridge had a week scheudle and was still overmatched in many of their games as they struggled with routine ground balls, pop-ups, hitting, as well as baseball IQ. What would have happend if Munroe was with a seasoned team? Or even if he just had an experienced catcher that knew how to frame or call pitches? Despite all this he was named player of the year for his district and made first team for the county as a pitcher. Came in #2 for picther of the year.

Jaromir, did you watch the play off game against Timber Creek? You know the one where Timber Creek, who prepared all week by taking their hitters to left hand pitching machings / pitchers for BP, and could only bunt to eek out a run to barely get by Ridge (Overall 10-17...with a weak schedule) with Munroe pitching? If I remember correctly, Timber Creek went on to the state championship?

As far as the Lake Wales and the second Osceloa game (not the Osceloa game Munroe where destroyed them), you would have had to been there to see what was going on. Even the proscout were shaking their heads and laughing at the situation...
Randy Sullivan was my aau coach back in the day. Knows his **** when it comes to pitching....

Randy Sullivan was my aau coach back in the day. Knows his **** when it comes to pitching....

I totally agree! When the MLB send pitchers to FBR in "mid" season to help them get back on track....you must be doing something correct! Randy has done an excellent job with Munroe as well. At 5' 10" @ 190lbs getting an opportunity to fight for a spot on a top 25 P5 school as a result of FBR training!

Last edited:
"He has a battle just to make the final roster, as Palmquist and Carmona are two lefties he's competing against for probably 2 spots. If Munroe makes the team, it's because he was impressive in comparison to other talented freshman pitchers."

Palmquist, Carmona and Munroe are three great pitchers....it is going to be interesting to see how the fight for a roster spot plays out for them!

Per 247, 12 freshmen enrolled in Summer B. The only recruit expected to be here that didnt enroll is RHP Austin Thomas. According to the article, he's dealing with labrum surgery so it'll be interesting to see if he ends up being part of the team in the Fall, or maybe goes the Juco route.

Advertisement
Per 247, 12 freshmen enrolled in Summer B. The only recruit expected to be here that didnt enroll is RHP Austin Thomas. According to the article, he's dealing with labrum surgery so it'll be interesting to see if he ends up being part of the team in the Fall, or maybe goes the Juco route.

Hopefully he as a speedy recovery!

Baseball America put out their initial 2020 MLB Draft Prospect lists. 3 Canes among their top-50 draft-eligible college players:

Zamora - 13
McMahon - 25
Cecconi - 30

Advertisement
I suspect he is converted to an OF or plays 3B or 2B in the big leagues. His slow release becomes less of a liability that way.

Agree. His inability to stick at SS likely keeps him out of the top half of the 1st round, and he needs a strong junior year to go in the latter half of the 1st because of his limited track record (no summer ball, injury this past year). But there's good reasons both Fangraphs and Baseball America have him projected there right now. Guys with his combination of athleticism, arm strength, bat-to-ball skills, and power projection are going to be coveted players.

Just from a scouting/tools perspective, my non-expert eval is: 60 hit, 35/40 power, 60 run, 30/35 field, 55/60 arm

-Plus hit tool. Has excellent bat speed and reportedly produces some of the best exit velos on the team. He also has very good bat control. He had the lowest SO% of any ACC player in 2018 at 7.3%. It was up to 13% in 2019, which is still pretty low and probably expected since it also came with increased power #s in and increased BB rate.

-Below average/average power tool. Looked like just a contact hitter in 2018, but showed he could hit HR in 2019. There's probably a lot more power in there as he continues to get stronger, so if his shoulder is healthy he could be a double digit HR guy in 2020 and project as a 15-20 HR player at the MLB level

-Plus run tool. Not elite speed, but still very good. Gives him the range to play almost anywhere in the field and he has very good baserunning instincts.

-Plus arm. Arm strength isnt the problem with him. He has the arm to get the ball across the diamond and could play CF as well.

-Below average/average fielding tool. Obviously, he's been just bad at SS. Too many errors, too many mistakes. It's clearly a mental/approach thing as he has no issues in practice. SS is such a premium spot that you need to be a very good defender to stick there and it seems highly unlikely he ever will. But I'm guessing scouts see his speed and arm and will project him as a guy who can be given a shot at 2B/3B or, more likely, move to any OF spot

Agree. His inability to stick at SS likely keeps him out of the top half of the 1st round, and he needs a strong junior year to go in the latter half of the 1st because of his limited track record (no summer ball, injury this past year). But there's good reasons both Fangraphs and Baseball America have him projected there right now. Guys with his combination of athleticism, arm strength, bat-to-ball skills, and power projection are going to be coveted players.

Just from a scouting/tools perspective, my non-expert eval is: 60 hit, 35/40 power, 60 run, 30/35 field, 55/60 arm

-Plus hit tool. Has excellent bat speed and reportedly produces some of the best exit velos on the team. He also has very good bat control. He had the lowest SO% of any ACC player in 2018 at 7.3%. It was up to 13% in 2019, which is still pretty low and probably expected since it also came with increased power #s in and increased BB rate.

-Below average/average power tool. Looked like just a contact hitter in 2018, but showed he could hit HR in 2019. There's probably a lot more power in there as he continues to get stronger, so if his shoulder is healthy he could be a double digit HR guy in 2020 and project as a 15-20 HR player at the MLB level

-Plus run tool. Not elite speed, but still very good. Gives him the range to play almost anywhere in the field and he has very good baserunning instincts.

-Plus arm. Arm strength isnt the problem with him. He has the arm to get the ball across the diamond and could play CF as well.

-Below average/average fielding tool. Obviously, he's been just bad at SS. Too many errors, too many mistakes. It's clearly a mental/approach thing as he has no issues in practice. SS is such a premium spot that you need to be a very good defender to stick there and it seems highly unlikely he ever will. But I'm guessing scouts see his speed and arm and will project him as a guy who can be given a shot at 2B/3B or, more likely, move to any OF spot

as usual. richt show nails it.

agree 100% with your analysis of zamora.

from the SS position, can you imagine if he can build his arm and glove to say, alex cora or wicho hernandez type consistency? or even a guy like ryan jackson? he'd be a top 10 pick. hands down

A guy who can get to 15-20 HR's is more like a 45-50 power. Also you're selling his defense short as well. Probably a 40/45 there as well. A 30/35 defense tool is limited to DH only.

Advertisement
The returning portion of the fall roster (plus Valdes for some reason) is up. Besides Escala and Mantilla, the returning players not listed are Cook, Sparber, Cloonan, and Rivero.

If all the freshman and Lauck are added, that would put us at 36 players, which is where we typically begin the fall.

The returning portion of the fall roster (plus Valdes for some reason) is up. Besides Escala and Mantilla, the returning players not listed are Cook, Sparber, Cloonan, and Rivero.

If all the freshman and Lauck are added, that would put us at 36 players, which is where we typically begin the fall.
The rest of the roster has been updated. Looks like the injury will keep Austin Thomas off the roster.

Surprise JUCO: LHP Spencer Bodanza of Hillsborough CC

36 players total: 22 returning, 12 freshmen, 2 JUCO

The rest of the roster has been updated. Looks like the injury will keep Austin Thomas off the roster.

I could be wrong but I believe Bodanza was supposed to be in our 2017 class, but hurt his arm his senior year and went the Juco route instead.

He sounds like a matchup LHP bullpen arm. Top-100 Juco recruit according to Perfect Game and posted a stat line of 1-2, 3.08 ERA, 26.1 IP, 27 K, 10 BB last season. Here's a scouting report I found on him from this past year:

Spencer Bodanza, LHP, Hillsborough (SO)
6-foot, 180-pound athletic left-handed pitcher. Unorthodox, short arm action, comes to near full-stop on back-side, accelerates quickly to a high ¾ slot, repeats well. Low effort drop and drive delivery. Fastball, pounded the strike zone, sat 90-92 with run. Curveball, 1/7 shape, late bite to it, 76. Changeup, third pitch, some fade, 82.

Advertisement
I could be wrong but I believe Bodanza was supposed to be in our 2017 class, but hurt his arm his senior year and went the Juco route instead.

He sounds like a matchup LHP bullpen arm. Top-100 Juco recruit according to Perfect Game and posted a stat line of 1-2, 3.08 ERA, 26.1 IP, 27 K, 10 BB last season. Here's a scouting report I found on him from this past year:

Spencer Bodanza, LHP, Hillsborough (SO)
6-foot, 180-pound athletic left-handed pitcher. Unorthodox, short arm action, comes to near full-stop on back-side, accelerates quickly to a high ¾ slot, repeats well. Low effort drop and drive delivery. Fastball, pounded the strike zone, sat 90-92 with run. Curveball, 1/7 shape, late bite to it, 76. Changeup, third pitch, some fade, 82.

Nice, but for my information what is a 1/7 curve-ball for a lefty? Do they use that description instead of 11/5 even when the pitcher is LH - 1/7 would break away from a RH hitter, which sounds more like a change-up/screwball to me?

This is the deepest roster we've had in many years. Let's hope the returning players come back fired-up and not assuming they are starting just because they performed last year.

Any reason why they dont post High School numbers on our players in the bio section?

Advertisement
Back