2020 Recruiting.

Losing Lane hurts, but I think if our seniors come back next year we'll be good on the wings still in 20/21.

PG: Lykes/Wong-Hopefully we land Curbelo and finally have a true PG again. Landing Curbelo would allow Wong to play more off guard.

SG/CG: McGusty/Beverly-We'll need McGusty to come back otherwise we'll be in bad shape here based on current recruiting prospects

Wing: Need to land Timberlake. I think he can walk into a lot of PT regardless of who else we land, or our seniors coming back.

Nightmare scenario we miss on both Timberlake and Curbelo and we're scrambling for grad transfers to fill our roster.

Advertisement
If Curbelo doesn't come, it'll likely be because he sees himself sitting behind Lykes and Wong.

In the last 10-15 years, I'm thinking Huell/Hernandez and Dwayne Collins are the only quality bigs we have been able to recruit out of HS. I don't count Reggie because he was a "prospect" out of HS, like Jekiri and Izundu. Not an enviable record of success over such a long period of time.

Last edited:
I know we haven't landed the big time big man prospects out of high school besides Huell, but we have had some pretty good big man development under L: Kadji, Jekiri, Buka and Huell all grew in their time here under L.

Still, I'd rather land a guy with higher upside like Cliff Omoruyi.

As for recruiting "big men," you probably could go back to 1985 when the program restarted and be hard pressed to find ANY top flight big man we signed out of HS. Joe Wylie, Popa and Reggie were more than ever expected (we got lucky) and Tim James wasn't really all that big. 7 footer Mike McCoy back in 1959-62 might've been the only legit big man who we signed and who produced along the lines of his hype.

To be fair, I forgot Darius Rice! My bad on that. DR was definitely a big man and a VERY good one. Point is still valid though in terms of UM not being known for recruiting or developing bigs in its overall history. No one really to point to and say to a recruit "You could be the next _____."

Last edited:
Advertisement
To be fair, I forgot Darius Rice! My bad on that. DR was definitely a big man and a VERY good one. Point is still valid though in terms of UM not being known for recruiting or developing bigs in its overall history. No one really to point to and say to a recruit "You could be the next _____."

A lot of fans did but to be honest I always remember him being the first MCD'S all american we had...mainly because not did he did greatthings on the court but hes the nephew of Jerry Rice. I posted something about this 20 something pages ago.lol

Go canes!

Advertisement
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-florida-hunter-****inson-futurecast

Scottie Barnes from Oregon to Florida State.
I am going against the grain here because many think that Barnes is a done-deal for the Ducks. I think Barnes will stay in his home state and play for Leonard Hamilton.

He will be a Cane bro... or no comment from me for a year about CANES B-BALL. Screenshot this, write it down, take a picture or repost this!

GO CANES! #LarranagaBall #MIAMIBALLERBOYS #MBB

:eek::oops: 👀

Last edited:
Evan Daniels said he would guess Seton Hall for Timberlake but isn’t confident in that pick

A lot of fans did but to be honest I always remember him being the first MCD'S all american we had...mainly because not did he did greatthings on the court but hes the nephew of Jerry Rice. I posted something about this 20 something pages ago.lol

Go canes!
I think our first McD's AA was earlier in the 90s -- Steve Edwards from Miami High. As for Darius -- I'll never forget his buzzer-beating shot from the corner to beat then high-flying UConn, a game in which we were thought to have zero chance to win.

I think our first McD's AA was earlier in the 90s -- Steve Edwards from Miami High. As for Darius -- I'll never forget his buzzer-beating shot from the corner to beat then high-flying UConn, a game in which we were thought to have zero chance to win.

I can't go back that far my brother but he was definitely solid. My fav canes bball player prob ever was "Stepback" Jack Mcclinton #33 he was the coldest scorer that we had in a very lonnnnng time!

Advertisement

You also forgot about Tito Horford. He was highly recruited, and a good player for us.

Advertisement
u made my day. don't make me take it back !!Thanks,

From what i'm hearing LOCAL AAU coaches and a person that runs Miami Hoops Invitational - he is ours to lose.... The staff is selling that he could be the greatest Recruit ever in the history of UM BASKETBALL to play JUST 1 season. They have a structure on how they recruiting him, just him personally. All we have to do is make noise in the ACC and make it to the 1st round tourney from him to pull the plug.

From what i'm hearing LOCAL AAU coaches and a person that runs Miami Hoops Invitational - he is ours to lose.... The staff is selling that he could be the greatest Recruit ever in the history of UM BASKETBALL to play JUST 1 season. They have a structure on how they recruiting him, just him personally. All we have to do is make noise in the ACC and make it to the 1st round tourney from him to pull the plug.

He is committing way before the tourney though. I do agree that we have a shot, as much as he loved Oregon growing up I don't see him going across the country for school. So just gotta beat out FSU.

You also forgot about Tito Horford. He was highly recruited, and a good player for us.
You're right, and yes he was! Maybe even the best of the lot at the Center position (was surprised he made no impact in the NBA, averaging 1.5 ppg). Over 35 seasons now since the program returned, the good ones have been few and far between.

So this is basically a dewan hernandez situation.

Advertisement
Back