2020 Offense through 5 games

King needs to be more decisive in the pocket (in terms of deciding when to run or to pass) & go through his progressions more. He's locking in on certain WR's pre-snap because he does have the continuity & trust with all the WR's yet & when his first read isn't there he's bit over cautious with the ball which can lead to misreads & mistakes down the field when you do decide to throw it.

He needs to relax & survey the field, then when it's not there go ahead & take off running.

Lashlee can also help him out with some Shallow cross concepts, more Y-Stick & more Mesh concepts. We have very good success in Wide Trips formation, you'll definitely continue to see those looks more.

But I understand why Lash doesn't always call certain plays people might want him to, because when you have a questionable interior OL & inconsistent WR's it makes you hesitant to wanna be overly experimental with play calling because possessions become critical & a lot of the time Lashlee is actually setting up another play for a TD at a certain time in the game, not being funny but he really is playing Chess vs Checkers often times.

When you look at the way our TD's have been drawn up on a week to week basis, they come at a time when the Defense doesn't even see it coming & guys are getting schemed wide open. He's literally causing busted coverages with his play calling because he catches the Defense slipping with a perfectly timed dialed up explosive plays.

I think people just overreacted because they failed to realize how good Pitt's Defense was, but the rest of the way we'll see more Louisville & FSU performances offensively.

The thing the critics miss is that Pitts D was #1 in the ACC and #4 in the country in yards allowed per play. Maybe they don't understand how that translates to a game. It means it is very hard to have long, sustained drives that eat clock. Pitt sells out to stop the run, are excellent tacklers, and there aren't a lot of passing windows in the short and intermediate range. You have to beat them with chunk yards and explosive plays.

And that's exactly what Lashlee dialed up. Then of course the mopes will ask why didn't he do that more. Because he isn't Mark Whipple (oh the irony), just throwing jump balls 50 yards down field every down. I forget which poster said it, but that's why you saw Mallory line up in the backfield and a QB run that didn't pick up a lot of yards. It didn't have to. Fans complained in the game thread it was a dumb call against a D that doesn't give up a lot of rushing yards. The next time Pitt saw that alignment, they thought it was a run again and Mallory was wide open for a TD. Lashlee did a good job taking what the D was giving.

When Diaz had King kneel at the end, I was critical of it for a couple reasons but I could also understand the reason why he wanted to get them off the field without injuries. I want to add a third reason to be critical of the decision. If Diaz had added a garbage time TD so the final score was 38-19, then maybe, just maybe, we would have had 2% less complaining from the fan base.

Advertisement
It is sad that it takes someone to actually put real numbers in front of everyone to keep them from burning down the house. I am baffled as to why this fan base thought because we brought in a great QB and OC that we were going to go from 6-7 to National Champs overnight. I am happy with the progress. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Advertisement
It is sad that it takes someone to actually put real numbers in front of everyone to keep them from burning down the house. I am baffled as to why this fan base thought because we brought in a great QB and OC that we were going to go from 6-7 to National Champs overnight. I am happy with the progress. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
The people who think this team was only a few minor changes from being a national champion are just delusional. They were a few pieces away from being a good team and they have done that so far. Now they have to build to make the jump from good to great. You’re right. It doesn’t happen overnight.

The people who think this team was only a few minor changes from being a national champion are just delusional. They were a few pieces away from being a good team and they have done that so far. Now they have to build to make the jump from good to great. You’re right. It doesn’t happen overnight.
I'd still prefer to be around those people than the ones who just know we're going to lose and Manny's going to be exposed. Every Single. Game.

Advertisement
I'd still prefer to be around those people than the ones who just know we're going to lose and Manny's going to be exposed. Every Single. Game.
A lot of them are the same people. They’re just positive if we only hired (insert mope’s favorite coach) we’d be immediately winning nattys every season.
But I get what you’re saying. I prefer ridiculous, unrealistic homer to miserable hater. At least ridiculous homer has a positive, if unrealistic outlook on life.

2020 Offensive stats (First 5 games):

- 2,038yds Total Yards
- Averaging 407 yards per game
- Averaging 35.6 points per game
- 13th in Red Zone scoring
- 94% Red Zone scoring percentage
- 21st in the Nation in Total Scoring
- 43% on 3rd down conversion
- 6/8 on 4th down with 75% 4th down conversion
- 33rd in Rushing, at 4.81 yards per carry, 179yds per game
- 12 sacks through 5 games

In comparison to 2019:

Through the first 5 games we gave up 25 sacks & only scored over 30 points once (not indcluding Bethune) in a loss to VA Tech.

On the season we averaged;

- 367 yards per game
- 26.6% on 3rd down
- 52% on 4th down
- 27.8 points per game
- 3.8 yards per carry
- 51 sacks allowed
- 73rd in scoring
- 76th in yards per play
- 120th in Rushing
- 127th in sacks allowed
- 121st in Red Zone scoring

Miami scored over 30 points just TWICE all last year vs FBS opponents, through the first 5 games we've scored over 30 in every game except Clemson. Yes, we did not play perfect football against Pitt, but good teams win ugly & last year at this time we were 3-2 with one of our wins being an FCS opponent.

Last year our early OOC G5 game was vs Central Michigan, we only scored 17 points & barely gained 300yds of total offense.
This year our early OOC G5 game was vs UAB, we scored an easy 31 & gained 495yds of total offense without breaking a sweat.

Last year against Pitt, we only scored 16 points, gained just 208yds of total offense & took a last second TD throw from Jarren in order to beat a team that had only scored 12 points on us that game.
This year we scored a comfortable 31, gained 331yds total offense & had the lead the entire game.

This year we've ran 363 plays on offense thus far & are averaging basically 70 plays per game (69.8).
- If we average 75 plays per game for the remaining 6 we'd be at 813 (888 in a 12 game schedule)
- If we average 80 plays per game for the remaining 6 we'd be at 843 (923 in a 12 game schedule)
- Last year we ran 842 plays in a 12 game schedule

Has our Offense played perfect thus far? Absolutely not. Do they need to improve in several areas, no doubt, especially in Passing offensive output, but the overall point is, we're scoring & we're still moving the ball despite not playing pristine ball. All our offensive issues are very fixable & are not something that warrants the reaction there's been on the board.

Don't forget, this is year ONE for Lashlee, new OL coach & new WR's coach, new QB, new scheme, we've had 2 of our starting OL's miss a game & had our best offensive weapon out in the last game, not to mention there was only 4 practices in Spring (which made it very difficult to do a complete offensive install) & due to the Covid protocols has changed the overall dynamic of how a team goes about week to week with numerous amounts of testing. Does that excuse poor offensive performances, no it doesn't, but these things need to be kept in mind for context of how the season is going on Offense instead just acting as if all things were perfect going into the season.

No Lashlee has not been perfect, but there's been a drastic overreaction by the board after to just 5 games, mind you we're still scoring at a high clip & explosive plays are still being schemed up frequently despite not having a big time #1 WR emerge yet. We're still on pace to have a very productive offensive season with just a slight adjustment in the passing game & the fact we've gotten past the 2 highest ranked Run Defenses & DLines we'll play all year.

Also keep in mind, we don't face a single Defense in the top 30 in Run Defense & only 1 (as of now) in the top 30 in Pass Defense (UNC is 29th vs the Pass & 38th vs Run) on the rest of our schedule, but everyone else we face is in the 40's. So what does that mean? PRODUCTIVITY.
Great write up, great info, and puts things in perspective.

Disagree a bit on all issues being fixable. WR play is what it is at this point, don't see that improving a whole lot.

King needs to be more decisive in the pocket (in terms of deciding when to run or to pass) & go through his progressions more. He's locking in on certain WR's pre-snap because he doesn't have the continuity & trust with all the WR's yet & when his first read isn't there he's bit over cautious with the ball which can lead to misreads & mistakes down the field when you do decide to throw it.

He needs to relax & survey the field, then when it's not there go ahead & take off running.

Lashlee can also help him out with some Shallow cross concepts, more Y-Stick & more Mesh concepts. We have very good success in Wide Trips formation, you'll definitely continue to see those looks more.

But I understand why Lash doesn't always call certain plays people might want him to, because when you have a questionable interior OL & inconsistent WR's it makes you hesitant to wanna be overly experimental with play calling because possessions become critical & a lot of the time Lashlee is actually setting up another play for a TD at a certain time in the game, not being funny but he really is playing Chess vs Checkers often times.

When you look at the way our TD's have been drawn up on a week to week basis, they come at a time when the Defense doesn't even see it coming & guys are getting schemed wide open. He's literally causing busted coverages with his play calling because he catches the Defense slipping with a perfectly timed dialed up explosive plays.

I think people just overreacted because they failed to realize how good Pitt's Defense was, but the rest of the way we'll see more Louisville & FSU performances offensively.
I don’t want to over-simplify it but a lot of the indecisiveness (from QB and OC) comes from a lack of prep time this year. Just my opinion anyway. Obviously not the only issue just saying to me that was a huge blow.

So I’m really interested to see how we progress, especially since we play some weaker defenses coming up

Advertisement
Class Soldier GIF by U.S. Army

I just want to see improvement on offense. Most firmly believe we will score 35+ and ring up UVA ..G Tech...UNC and Va Tech. I have my doubts. I understand Lashley is working with a short hand. O LINE...sub par wrs. There are still things that can be done with scheme to help us move the chains more often.

We are great in the red zone but drives stall more regularly than any other team in the top 15. Being solely dependent on the explosive play will lose us games if Lashlee doesn't show the ability to adjust.

Advertisement
Funny how we scored 31 against Pitt and I spent the majority of the afternoon shaking my head in frustration. Def. puts it all in perspective.
Because you have the right sense and football knowledge to see that we are still not a good team. Yeah we are better but some of our units WR, LB are an all time worse we have ever had at Miami! We have a huge talent advantage over everyone we play as well. The team has improved but WR and LB have regressed badly. We are one dimensional because we don’t have a decent Wideout who can get open and lashlee has to scheme up things to get easy TDs cause we can’t just line it up and beat guys 1v1.

Advertisement
Back