2020 Offense through 5 games

I don't have a problem with Lashlee, as we finally have an OC who can actually outscheme opposing DC's, and that's refreshing in and of itself. I did think he went deer in the headlights vs Clemson because he didn't adjust to what they were doing to our run game though. The only small issue I have is, given that our wr's aren't getting open, and when they do King is constantly underthrowing them, is when is going to change those route concepts and incorporate more crossing and mesh routes to make it easier to create space by design???
Other than that I'm very happy we have him.

Advertisement
An interesting point is our defense last year was arguably better than this year. So last years defense put the offense in better spots. But even with the defense as a control variable this year is still so far superior it’s crazy

King needs to be more decisive in the pocket (in terms of deciding when to run or to pass) & go through his progressions more. He's locking in on certain WR's pre-snap because he doesn't have the continuity & trust with all the WR's yet & when his first read isn't there he's bit over cautious with the ball which can lead to misreads & mistakes down the field when you do decide to throw it.

He needs to relax & survey the field, then when it's not there go ahead & take off running.

Lashlee can also help him out with some Shallow cross concepts, more Y-Stick & more Mesh concepts. We have very good success in Wide Trips formation, you'll definitely continue to see those looks more.

But I understand why Lash doesn't always call certain plays people might want him to, because when you have a questionable interior OL & inconsistent WR's it makes you hesitant to wanna be overly experimental with play calling because possessions become critical & a lot of the time Lashlee is actually setting up another play for a TD at a certain time in the game, not being funny but he really is playing Chess vs Checkers often times.

When you look at the way our TD's have been drawn up on a week to week basis, they come at a time when the Defense doesn't even see it coming & guys are getting schemed wide open. He's literally causing busted coverages with his play calling because he catches the Defense slipping with a perfectly timed dialed up explosive plays.

I think people just overreacted because they failed to realize how good Pitt's Defense was, but the rest of the way we'll see more Louisville & FSU performances offensively.
What's funny is all the CIS mouthbreathers who didn't even start on their high school football team posting screen shots of defenses to point out where Lahlee is missing opportunities to run plays like he doesn't see them and they know more than him.

It’s true though. He is missing opportunities.

However, Lashlee has two issues to deal with that are putting us behind where we could be. One is the lack of play making downfield with wide receivers. The other is having his install interrupted you Covid. Most teams in the country are running what they ran last year. That puts us at a disadvantage.

The first problem necessitate adjustments to his philosophy but the second problem makes that more difficult.

We can be more productive and efficient on offense with just a few extra plays to deal with the downfield struggles of the wide receiver group. He has two weeks of film against strong defenses to make those adjustments and take us to the next level.

There are four things I want to see personally that will really help us. It is based on attacking the other teams linebackers for cheating the inside zone and trying to clog the middle passing lanes.

1. Make teams pay for bracketing the tight end by using them as decoys. Send them up the seam and on crosses to clear the middle. Pump fake at them and deliver the ball else where sometimes.

2. Run to the outside more. They are stacking for the iz. Run the stretch/oz more. We got guys who can turn the corner. Cam had the fastest run in college football off that play.

3. Hit the back in the flats against man coverage. On Roosters swing play, we ran double slants to the opposite side, which I like. King threw the swing so fast, the linebackers didn’t really have to worry about those routes over the middle. No pressure on them. I would like to see that concept with the back taking flat on the side the wide receivers vacate with the slant. In 11 personnel with two wide to the tight end side you can open the middle for the slant with a seam route. If the slant isn’t there, you can dump of to the back who is one on one with a linebacker fighting through traffic to get to the flat. We will win that match up consistently. We under utilize the half back screen as well.

4. Roll the pocket with run pass options for King. Put pressure on underneath coverage to decide between sticking with their man or coming up to stop King. We win many of those matchups regardless what the defender chooses. Tell King not to be a hero and get his *** on the ground.

Lashlee can do all these things. He probably can’t implement them all at once but he should be aware and building onto the offense with adjustments for HIS CURRENT TEAM. This is what separates good and bad coordinators.

We got easy *** touchdowns attacking the opponents linebackers in the passing game. Instead of crying about the receivers struggles, I want to see Lashlee double down on ways to use the strengths of our teams and not be inefficient forcing weaknesses too much. There are lots of simple concepts we can use to get more production.

It’s true though. He is missing opportunities.

However, Lashlee has two issues to deal with that are putting us behind where we could be. One is the lack of play making downfield with wide receivers. The other is having his install interrupted you Covid. Most teams in the country are running what they ran last year. That puts us at a disadvantage.

The first problem necessitate adjustments to his philosophy but the second problem makes that more difficult.

We can be more productive and efficient on offense with just a few extra plays to deal with the downfield struggles of the wide receiver group. He has two weeks of film against strong defenses to make those adjustments and take us to the next level.

There are four things I want to see personally that will really help us. It is based on attacking the other teams linebackers for cheating the inside zone and trying to clog the middle passing lanes.

1. Make teams pay for bracketing the tight end by using them as decoys. Send them up the seam and on crosses to clear the middle. Pump fake at them and deliver the ball else where sometimes.

2. Run to the outside more. They are stacking for the iz. Run the stretch/oz more. We got guys who can turn the corner. Cam had the fastest run in college football off that play.

3. Hit the back in the flats against man coverage. On Roosters swing play, we ran double slants to the opposite side, which I like. King threw the swing so fast, the linebackers didn’t really have to worry about those routes over the middle. No pressure on them. I would like to see that concept with the back taking flat on the side the wide receivers vacate with the slant. In 11 personnel with two wide to the tight end side you can open the middle for the slant with a seam route. If the slant isn’t there, you can dump of to the back who is one on one with a linebacker fighting through traffic to get to the flat. We will win that match up consistently. We under utilize the half back screen as well.

4. Roll the pocket with run pass options for King. Put pressure on underneath coverage to decide between sticking with their man or coming up to stop King. We win many of those matchups regardless what the defender chooses. Tell King not to be a hero and get his *** on the ground.

Lashlee can do all these things. He probably can’t implement them all at once but he should be aware and building onto the offense with adjustments for HIS CURRENT TEAM. This is what separates good and bad coordinators.

We got easy *** touchdowns attacking the opponents linebackers in the passing game. Instead of crying about the receivers struggles, I want to see Lashlee double down on ways to use the strengths of our teams and not be inefficient forcing weaknesses too much. There are lots of simple concepts we can use to get more production.
Great post and points.

With the teams that are coming up on the schedule, we should see growth from the offense and expanded play calling. And the offense we'll see at the end of the year will be obviously improved.

IMO, King comes back, and with a full off season and year under Lashlee, next year looks promising!

Advertisement
Funny how we scored 31 against Pitt and I spent the majority of the afternoon shaking my head in frustration. Def. puts it all in perspective.
I think we all did because it never seemed as though the offense was in rhythm, and we scored "just" because of some really good schemes by Lashlee. Basically, we didn't overwhelm Pitt with offense like we did to FSU, Louisville and even UAB at times. Right now Pitt coaches are saying that if they had "just" taken away 4-5 plays they would have won the game. But thats what we said the last 2 years and many years before.

I think it's worth adding, when discussing points scored, that we sat on the ball at the end of a few games, unlike Clemson which continued to try and score to the whistle. I'm not advocating for either strategy, but we could have scored another 14-21 points thus far.

Advertisement
A post that actually provides substance to claims.

Well done.

We look much better no doubt.

I’m sure Lashlee is really disappointed in our plays per game but I think a lot to do with our passing struggles.

A couple of mid-teir defenses is just want the doctor ordered to help our guys build their confidence and put some work in.

The thing the critics miss is that Pitts D was #1 in the ACC and #4 in the country in yards allowed per play. Maybe they don't understand how that translates to a game. It means it is very hard to have long, sustained drives that eat clock. Pitt sells out to stop the run, are excellent tacklers, and there aren't a lot of passing windows in the short and intermediate range. You have to beat them with chunk yards and explosive plays.

And that's exactly what Lashlee dialed up. Then of course the mopes will ask why didn't he do that more. Because he isn't Mark Whipple (oh the irony), just throwing jump balls 50 yards down field every down. I forget which poster said it, but that's why you saw Mallory line up in the backfield and a QB run that didn't pick up a lot of yards. It didn't have to. Fans complained in the game thread it was a dumb call against a D that doesn't give up a lot of rushing yards. The next time Pitt saw that alignment, they thought it was a run again and Mallory was wide open for a TD. Lashlee did a good job taking what the D was giving.

When Diaz had King kneel at the end, I was critical of it for a couple reasons but I could also understand the reason why he wanted to get them off the field without injuries. I want to add a third reason to be critical of the decision. If Diaz had added a garbage time TD so the final score was 38-19, then maybe, just maybe, we would have had 2% less complaining from the fan base.

They’d complain it was in garabage time and doesn’t really count.

and if Pickett had played we woulda lost 42-38.

Definitely better...

With an opportunity to continue to get even better because we play a bunch of favorable matchups with bad Defenses.

We're going to keep scoring & the passing offense will get fixed.

Have they started giving you a paycheck yet? Good stuff. I've lost interest already but you are always a good read.

Difference between last year and 2020 season comes down to 3 basic additions/corrections:
- Offensive coordinator
- Quarterback
- Placekicker

Nothing more needs to be said.

Advertisement
Difference between last year and 2020 season comes down to 3 basic additions/corrections:
- Offensive coordinator
- Quarterback
- Placekicker

I’d say there’s a lot of truth to this. King and lashlee have transformed the mindset of the team because the offense now has a leader they can trust(king), an OC they want to play for and a kicker they trust to make the easy ones. And in turn the defense doesn’t feel it’s all on them anymore and the team is more of a unit

Definitely better...

With an opportunity to continue to get even better because we play a bunch of favorable matchups with bad Defenses.

We're going to keep scoring & the passing offense will get fixed.
What are your thoughts on the WR's moving forward? I would love to see more Keyshaun Smith and Redding.

We going to be alright trust and believe. We need another two more great recruiting yrs and we will be able to handle those top 5 teams. I def was suspect of these wideouts but it will get better with the young talent we have coming in. We just need DK TO COME back for another year.

Advertisement
- Offensive coordinator
- Quarterback
- Placekicker

Last year was a very flawed team, and we're improved this year but it's not a great team yet either. However, your points are 100% correct and even more, just bullet #3 would have made a difference in the perception of the team last year. Again, just adding a kicker doesn't take you from a bad team to a good team. But...

- We 100000000% beat the gator if Borregales is the kicker last season. One million percent. Now, to what I've been saying, just his right foot doesn't make the entire team THAT much better. We did not deserve to win the gator game last year, but we would have if Andres was here instead of Baxa. So it's one of those deals where we certainly weren't a better team than they were, but on that one weird Saturday night, we'd have beaten them with Borregales on the roster and Baxa off, and all other things remaining the same. If we actually win that game, how does the rest of the season go?

- We most likely win the UNC game if Borregales is the kicker last season. We actually had a higher win percentage in that game than they did as it was, and Baxa did make a 50 yarder, but he missed a chip shot, Manny went for it on 4th down on the first drive of the 2nd half instead of taking the FG, and we all know Baxa missed the 49 yarder to tie the game at the end.

- I won't say we'd have won the VT game, because when you start a football game with 4 straight turnovers, you deserve to lose. But that missed XP when we could have taken the lead just deflated the entire team. Again, no excuse. You have to get your defense right to go back on the field and get a stop. But that was such a deflating, "here we go again" type play. So I'm not going to say it was on the kicker, but I'd have loved to have seen how the defense came onto the field had the game been 36-35 instead of 35-35.

- Georgia Tech...do I really even have to say anything? If we had a kicker from any high school in Dade or Broward county, we win that game. We missed a 34 yarder in the first half, we punted from the GT 36 in the 2nd half, we missed a 27 yarder in the 2nd half, and we missed a 25 yarder at the end of regulation that would have won the game. Give me a ******* break.

Now, maybe this was all a blessing in disguise. We got Lashlee this year, we got King, etc. One could make this argument. And again, I am NOT saying that the team would have been so much better with a competent kicker. We still were a poor team overall. But at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. And Borregales on this roster last year makes a 6-6 regular season become 9-3 overnight. Poof, just like that. One kid. And not to go full butterfly effect here, but if we start off with wins against the gator and UNC, which we would have FOR A FACT if we had the kicker we do now, does the season really go fully off the rails in November? Do the kids quit? Does the offensive staff pack it in? We'll never know. But what I do know is poor placekicking cost this football team MULTIPLE games last year. Bar none.

We about to get our numbers back up starting this week. The moper general and his bridage will still have something to ***** about but we are about to run thourgh the rest of this schedule.

What's funny is all the CIS mouthbreathers who didn't even start on their high school football team posting screen shots of defenses to point out where Lahlee is missing opportunities to run plays like he doesn't see them and they know more than him.
Heyyyyy!!! I was the starting Punter!

Advertisement
Back