2020 LB Corey Flagg Jr OV

I have to go on record here saying I absolutely love this kid.......
When I watched his film it showed me that he does a great job in his reads and knows his Run/ Fit and understands how to read the Guards thru the QB to the Tailback.....
He plays with excellent football fundamentals and shows good ability in his pursuit angles......
He does a great job in setting a base at the POA......
I really like this kid a lot......

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thomas ran 4.59 (per ESPN), Wilder 4.67 (ESPN), Shaq a 4.73 (24/7). I couldn't find a reported 40 time for Perryman, but in an article with Gridiron, he said he ran between a 4.5 and 4.6. His combine 40 was a 4.78. No idea about Ray Lewis in HS. He recorded a 4.58 in the NFL.. So every single one of your examples looks to have been faster than this kid.

I'd be interested in learning if the average combine 40 is significantly faster than the average HS 40 for these kids. Didn't see any source for that. But I'm not sure football players, especially linebackers, speed up all that much over college. They're gaining more mass. ... IIRC, one of the reporters on here noted how exceptional Redwine's 40 improvement was at the pro day relative to HS, and then showed that most of our players didn't significantly improve their times. Did I get that wrong?

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I didn't say he was a JAG. I said the 40 time was a red flag.

First and foremost, the use of the word Jag, as I’m from a region that uses it frequently, is awesome. Love that word haha.

Second, I get that you prefer a faster time. But it’s not a major indicator of success at linebacker. It’s more like a nice to have. Matthew Thomas and Wilder were speedsters that didn’t or haven’t hit.

And Roffers Leg Race article showed that one really only needs to be faster than a 4.95 and 4.5 shuttle.

Would it be nice if he was faster? Yes. But he has more than enough other great to haves (leadership, competition, awards, pedigree) to overlook a slower than preferred 40.

Thomas ran 4.59 (per ESPN), Wilder 4.67 (ESPN), Shaq a 4.73 (24/7). I couldn't find a reported 40 time for Perryman, but in an article with Gridiron, he said he ran between a 4.5 and 4.6. His combine 40 was a 4.78. No idea about Ray Lewis in HS. He recorded a 4.58 in the NFL.. So every single one of your examples looks to have been faster than this kid.

I'd be interested in learning if the average combine 40 is significantly faster than the average HS 40 for these kids. Didn't see any source for that. But I'm not sure football players, especially linebackers, speed up all that much over college. They're gaining more mass. ... IIRC, one of the reporters on here noted how exceptional Redwine's 40 improvement was at the pro day relative to HS, and then showed that most of our players didn't significantly improve their times. Did I get that wrong?

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I didn't say he was a JAG. I said the 40 time was a red flag.

Most Linebackers didnt grow up running like other position3, in HS none of my LBs ran track.

I think LBs probably have a highest differential in speed between HS and 4 years later.

Advertisement
First and foremost, the use of the word Jag, as I’m from a region that uses it frequently, is awesome. Love that word haha.

Second, I get that you prefer a faster time. But it’s not a major indicator of success at linebacker. It’s more like a nice to have. Matthew Thomas and Wilder were speedsters that didn’t or haven’t hit.

And Roffers Leg Race article showed that one really only needs to be faster than a 4.95 and 4.5 shuttle.

Would it be nice if he was faster? Yes. But he has more than enough other great to haves (leadership, competition, awards, pedigree) to overlook a slower than preferred 40.

Diaz likes to blitz a lot.
We need speed a LB for the blitz to get there. Having to watch our current average to slow speeded LBs blitz has been more than a little frustrating.

Diaz likes to blitz a lot.
We need speed a LB for the blitz to get there. Having to watch our current average to slow speeded LBs blitz has been more than a little frustrating.
Jaylon Ferguson, La Tech with Baker, was basically a non athlete per these numbers. And yet he owns the sack record.

And without those speed LBs we still had the highest havoc, TFL and sack numbers. 🤔 #narratives

Attachments

• E004576A-27E7-45AD-88EA-36A60948DCFA.png
    E004576A-27E7-45AD-88EA-36A60948DCFA.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Advertisement

Are you serious? The kid is 16 or 17 years old. Most kids will improve their 40 time considerably between that age and 21 y.o. Putting on extra weight (which most kids do at that age) generally helps their speed, as long as it is good weight. There is usually a lot of physically maturity between 17 and 21 y.o. Kids get stronger and faster.

FWIW, I remember when we signed Jonathan Vilma. He was listed 6'0 195 with a 5.0 40-yard dash time. I remember thinking, "why the **** are we signing this bum?"

No saying this kid is a take or isn't, but don't put too much faith in a single 40-yrd dash time. Watch the kid play. (Note: I don't have this same opinion on Hodges, who has run multiple slow times and is at a position with the 40-yrd dash is much more relevant).

I never thought a HS prospect with Rudy like measurables would get 4 pages in less than 24 hours. Congrats, CIS. You all really outdid yourselves with this one.

Only half way joking, but ....
We need to do better.

Advertisement
The kid clearly has some talent. You don't win MVP at the Opening in Houston unless you are a quality football player. But it's undeniable that the 40 time is a concern. Just look at LB 40 times at the NFL combine. He'd be second to last with those numbers, just ahead of a kid from New Mexico State:

Devin White (LSU): 4.42
Devin Bush (Michgan): 4.43
Gary Johnson (Texas): 4.43
Blake Cashman (Minnesota): 4.50
Ty Summers (TCU): 4.51
Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington): 4.56
Germaine Pratt (North Carolina State): 4.57
Drue Tranquill (Notre Dame): 4.57
Bobby Okereke (Stanford): 4.58
Tyrel Dodson (Texas A & M): 4.60
Jordan James (Kentucky): 4.62
Sione Takitaki (BYU): 4.63
Cody Barton (Utah): 4.64
Emeke Egbule (Houston): 4.65
Ryan Connell (Wisconsin): 4.66
Cameron Smith (USC): 4.69
Joe Giles Harris (Duke): 4.75
Dakota Allen (Texas Tech): 4.77
Otaro Alaka (Texas A & M): 4.82
Jeff Allison (Fresno State): 4.82
Bryson Allen-Williams (South Carolina): 4.88
Terrill Hanks (New Mexico State): 4.98
Now pull up their 10th grade 40 times smh. Some of you guys are weird. You’re comparing college Jrs and Srs to a 10th grader Wow‼️ Now that is profound.

Advertisement
“The nation's No. 41 ranked inside linebacker this cycle according to the industry-generated composite hasn't really been billed as a top target for Miami in the past, but those close to the program have indicated in recent days that he's a name that rose up the board following the spring evaluation period which is why the defensive staff is hoping to bring him in sooner rather than later for a visit.

Flagg has never been to South Florida before, but has built a relationship with defensive coordinator Blake Baker and assistant linebackers coach Jonathan Patke over the phone. He said Thursday in a message that he plans to attend the Adidas 3 Stripe Camp at Rice on Saturday after learning that Patke will work the camp as a guest coach.”

Advertisement
Back