2020 LB Corey Flagg Jr OV

The kid clearly has some talent. You don't win MVP at the Opening in Houston unless you are a quality football player. But it's undeniable that the 40 time is a concern. Just look at LB 40 times at the NFL combine. He'd be second to last with those numbers, just ahead of a kid from New Mexico State:

Devin White (LSU): 4.42
Devin Bush (Michgan): 4.43
Gary Johnson (Texas): 4.43
Blake Cashman (Minnesota): 4.50
Ty Summers (TCU): 4.51
Ben Burr-Kirven (Washington): 4.56
Germaine Pratt (North Carolina State): 4.57
Drue Tranquill (Notre Dame): 4.57
Bobby Okereke (Stanford): 4.58
Tyrel Dodson (Texas A & M): 4.60
Jordan James (Kentucky): 4.62
Sione Takitaki (BYU): 4.63
Cody Barton (Utah): 4.64
Emeke Egbule (Houston): 4.65
Ryan Connell (Wisconsin): 4.66
Cameron Smith (USC): 4.69
Joe Giles Harris (Duke): 4.75
Dakota Allen (Texas Tech): 4.77
Otaro Alaka (Texas A & M): 4.82
Jeff Allison (Fresno State): 4.82
Bryson Allen-Williams (South Carolina): 4.88
Terrill Hanks (New Mexico State): 4.98
The entire athletic profile is much more telling then just 40 times for highschool kids. The combine they're training for a month/couple months on technique. You can see on the tape he's a smooth athlete even though he's not a blazer. My guess is if he goes to the NFL combine in 4-5 years he'll run in the 4.7s

Advertisement
That's the more concerning part. If A&M, TCU, Texas and Oklahoma.....and to a lesser extent OK St. then you start to have to wonder then if this kid's a take.
OKST is recruiting him but I think it has a ton to do with the 5'10 part. If your a 5'10 LB usually your and elite elite athlete which he's not quite so teams are more reluctant to take a chance on him. Without seeing full tape it's hard to see how much that effects him cause you only see the good plays in the highlight but he doesn't play small at all

Lol almost getting Coburn. I remember that signing day. We thought we were getting everyone and only got Ezzard who transferred in a hot minute.

The kid clearly has some talent. You don't win MVP at the Opening in Houston unless you are a quality football player. But it's undeniable that the 40 time is a concern. Just look at LB 40 times at the NFL combine. He'd be second to last with those numbers, just ahead of a kid from New Mexico State:

Lazy comparison...

Show those kids as HS seniors and their 40s... those dudes had been training for a few years in a college S&C on top of then training to run the 40 yard dash as a job interview for a few months by absolute professionals

Advertisement
Baker and Patke are up in NJ today - making the rounds to a few guys:

The two defensive assistants are there primarily to check up on Jersey City St. Peters Prep Top247 linebacker Cody Simon, Williamstown Top247 defensive end Aaron Lewis and Camden three-star linebacker Tirek Austin-Cave.
I haven't even heard of the first two but would be good to get this trio on campus for paradise or lock in an OV.

Advertisement
Advertisement

What was Matthew Thomas’ 40? DeAndre Wilders? Shaqs? Rays? Denzel’s?

Advertisement
The director of player personnel did say they would make it an emphasis to get Miami type of players. Players that are aggressive and this kid fits that mold. Manny is building a culture. We're going to have a locker room full of alphas.

Give me this 3🌟 pit bull over a 4🌟 chihuahua any day.

I do agree though that Patke has to prove himself this cycle. He's suspect and I feel like he could easily be replaced with a more reputable coach.

Why Patke? Baker is the inside linebackers coach Patke coaches strikers. U guys just throw out names for no reason
Why Baker? dIAZ has been LB coach and hasnt landed top tier LBs. Plus that position has under performed more than any position on D

What was Matthew Thomas’ 40? DeAndre Wilders? Shaqs? Rays? Denzel’s?

Thomas ran 4.59 (per ESPN), Wilder 4.67 (ESPN), Shaq a 4.73 (24/7). I couldn't find a reported 40 time for Perryman, but in an article with Gridiron, he said he ran between a 4.5 and 4.6. His combine 40 was a 4.78. No idea about Ray Lewis in HS. He recorded a 4.58 in the NFL.. So every single one of your examples looks to have been faster than this kid.

I'd be interested in learning if the average combine 40 is significantly faster than the average HS 40 for these kids. Didn't see any source for that. But I'm not sure football players, especially linebackers, speed up all that much over college. They're gaining more mass. ... IIRC, one of the reporters on here noted how exceptional Redwine's 40 improvement was at the pro day relative to HS, and then showed that most of our players didn't significantly improve their times. Did I get that wrong?

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I didn't say he was a JAG. I said the 40 time was a red flag.

Advertisement
Back