2020 IMG S Lejond Cavazos receives Miami offer, plans visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
IMG Academy’s Lejond Cavazos (pronounced “Legend”) has gotten some serious early attention in the recruiting game, picking up offers from the “who’s who” of the college football landscape as just a sophomore in the 2020 class. Scholarships have come from Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, and Oklahoma to name a few, indicating the young Cavazos is already a blue-chip national recruit. Recently, Cavazos landed an offer from the Miami Hurricanes staff and he talked about what that meant to him.

“I got the Miami offer two weeks ago over the phone with the defensive staff,” Cavazos said. “I was very excited because of the culture Miami has there.”

Getting the Canes in the game with this elite 6’1” 190 pound safety is UM defensive coordinator Manny Diaz and CB coach Mike Rumph, who have both constructed a flourishing connection with Cavazos.

“I speak to coach Diaz and coach Rumph a lot,” Cavazos said. “My relationship with them is great. What I like about Miami is that the coaching staff has a family feeling and that they’ll let me run track there.”

While Cavazos names no leaders or top group at this point from his host of suitors, he’s planning on narrowing things down soon. Before that though, he’ll make a trip down to Coral Gables this spring.

“I’m coming down within a month,” Cavazos said.

This season at IMG was Cavazos’ first after transferring in from Seguin HS in Arlington, TX. Cavazos was in the rotation at safety for a loaded IMG team his sophomore season and continued to raise his already high profile.

“My season went good,” Cavazos said. “We went undefeated and I felt as if I played great on the field.”

Joining Cavazos at IMG is Miami 2020 DE/DT commit Tre'von Riggins. It seems the relationship between the two could play a part in leading Cavazos to join his friend on the Category20 commit list.

“Tre’von is one of my closest friends, he’s like a brother,” Cavazos said.

While he’s not going to rush his recruitment and has no plans for a decision anytime soon, the comfortability the surrounding environment a school can offer Cavazos will likely be a prime factor in his ultimate choice.

“I will most likely be committing before my senior season,” Cavazos said. “I’m looking for whichever school feels like home.”

And his message to Canes fans?

“I love the U!”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back