2020 Draft Thread

Just Infante drafted from the recruiting class? If nobody else signs that's likely the most talented on paper class in program history.

7 guys in the top-350 according to Baseball America: Mederos, Rosario, Morales, Rodriguez, Perez, Smith, Kayfus.

Plus other impact players in Izarra, Ferraro, Born, Fairweather, and potentially a couple Juco position players

Advertisement
I'm pretty shocked Mederos wasn't picked/was not signable. I guess him being draft eligible again as a Soph might have made the difference. He's extremely polished and if Van Belle doesn't return my guess is he'll probably be our Friday night starter as a freshman

Advertisement
Can't imagine Van Belle goes for 20k as a free agent, so he should be starting on Fridays next year. Who else is going to start games though? McFarlane? Keysor? Freshmen? The lineup should score plenty of runs next year, but we'll need a couple people to step up big time in the rotation.

Can't imagine Van Belle goes for 20k as a free agent, so he should be starting on Fridays next year. Who else is going to start games though? McFarlane? Keysor? Freshmen? The lineup should score plenty of runs next year, but we'll need a couple people to step up big time in the rotation.
Until he signs a contract, I’m expecting Van Belle back. Can’t see him signing a FA deal.

A lot of options for sure, my guess is Gates starts next year. Mederos probably starts. Then Jake Smith, McFarlane, Rosario, Carlos Rodriguez, and Garland all seem like possibilities. Maybe Palmquist too

Advertisement

Don't forget the Smith JC kid. He was ranked in Top 150 at start of week in some projections.

We’ve been extremely top heavy when it comes to talent lately. If the freshman Are as good as everyone says they are, we are going to have a loaded roster and depth like we haven’t in a while. There are going to be some battles for starting spots and we won’t be one or two injuries away from disaster

We’ve been extremely top heavy when it comes to talent lately. If the freshman Are as good as everyone says they are, we are going to have a loaded roster and depth like we haven’t in a while. There are going to be some battles for starting spots and we won’t be one or two injuries away from disaster
I agree. We’ve had some really good starting level players but when you look at the bench it is full of low D1 guys at best. This class combined with juniors coming back might give us a full team of ACC players.

Anyone know if the Morales kid has good defensive skills? He appears to have a Carlos Correa type size and frame.

Advertisement
Anyone know if the Morales kid has good defensive skills? He appears to have a Carlos Correa type size and frame.

Yeah that's the comp. Scouts seem to think he'll have to move to 3B as he adds weight. Bat first player but definitely has the arm for SS.

Jose Izarra is the player in the recruiting class who has the ability to be a strong defender at SS. From the video and reports I've seen of him he's another Brandon Lopez type

Until he signs a contract, I’m expecting Van Belle back. Can’t see him signing a FA deal.

He (and others) will be better off pitching at UM (or other places) Feb thru June then hopefully starting pitching in the Minor leagues next June assuming that the country is going to stop listening to lying egomaniacs like Fauci, Coumo, Shumer and Pelosi.
Otherwise next year's baseball could be shut down because those four clowns think it is more important that they have 100% of the news narrative and don't want even College Baseball to interfere with their ridiculous MSNBC, CNN message? Please understand that those four would love to shut down all sports if they could. How many sheep on this board are ready to agree?

Advertisement
He (and others) will be better off pitching at UM (or other places) Feb thru June then hopefully starting pitching in the Minor leagues next June assuming that the country is going to stop listening to lying egomaniacs like Fauci, Coumo, Shumer and Pelosi.
Otherwise next year's baseball could be shut down because those four clowns think it is more important that they have 100% of the news narrative and don't want even College Baseball to interfere with their ridiculous MSNBC, CNN message? Please understand that those four would love to shut down all sports if they could. How many sheep on this board are ready to agree?

We have an entire site in WEZ that's specifically for posts like this. Maybe try over there?

Besides, I'm not sure shutting down college baseball is too high up the national political priority list

UDFAs are allowed to sign starting at 9am tomorrow, although I’m sure they’ve been secretly negotiating/reaching agreements since the draft ended. We should get an idea on BVB in the next few days.

UDFAs are allowed to sign starting at 9am tomorrow, although I’m sure they’ve been secretly negotiating/reaching agreements since the draft ended. We should get an idea on BVB in the next few days.
I sure hope he doesn't settle for $10,000 - $20,000, plus there is no Milb this year at all, correct?

I sure hope he doesn't settle for $10,000 - $20,000, plus there is no Milb this year at all, correct?

No MiLB season, correct. Talk of teams having basically extended spring training for minor leaguers and maybe a fall league for top prospects.

Advertisement
Back