2020 Draft Thread

Advertisement
Van Belle signed with the Red Sox. Can't blame him, it's probably his only shot at pro ball and seems like MLB teams can provide some incentives beyond the $20k bonus to entice players. Plus he's already been in college 5 years.

No news yet on Keysor

Van Belle signed with the Red Sox. Can't blame him, it's probably his only shot at pro ball and seems like MLB teams can provide some incentives beyond the $20k bonus to entice players. Plus he's already been in college 5 years.

No news yet on Keysor
Good for him and much deserved. It’s probably more than he would have gotten pre-pandemic as a senior without any leverage.

Keysor is interesting. Gino mentioned on Packer and Durham that they were still working through Title IX implications of the roster cap with the administration. If he’s still limited to approx 35, Keysor might be a guy you encourage to go ahead and sign as mediocre as he was last year.

Advertisement

No news yet on Keysor

Hate to lose BVB, but wish him all the best. He was money almost every time he took the mound for two years.

Good for the kids but, ****, losing the entire starting rotation is tough to take... especially bc UF gets their whole rotation back. I know we've got some talent coming in, but it's hard to imagine they'll immediately perform at McMahon or BVB's level.

Good for the kids but, ****, losing the entire starting rotation is tough to take... especially bc UF gets their whole rotation back. I know we've got some talent coming in, but it's hard to imagine they'll immediately perform at McMahon or BVB's level.
Will need to really grind it out to be a postseason club next year imo. Another sweep by UF is incoming, trust me.

Will need to really grind it out to be a postseason club next year imo. Another sweep by UF is incoming, trust me.

We'll probably be ranked around 10-15 pre-season.

As I said, the talent is there but it's just hard to predict. If guys live up to the hype we're a definite Omaha team. If hitting struggles and the freshmen pitchers disappoint then yeah it's going to be disappointing. We'll see. I just want baseball back at this point

Advertisement
Losing BVB really hurts, but Jake Smith looks to be pretty polished. His JC stats are off the charts impressive (K/BB ratio of almost 8x, and averaged 13K's per 9 innings).

We'll only have him for a year, but let's hope he can step right in like BVB did a couple of years ago.

Anyone know the last time we lost our entire weekend rotation?
Technically 2010. Although Erickson came back in 2012, and Whaley had started to establish himself after Erickson got hurt for the millionth time.

Advertisement
Doubtful Van Belle made the right choice.

It's the UM curse. No one sticks around.
He’d probably have gotten less next year, and he’d be on the hook for tuition money for grad school. I don’t blame him at all for making the choice.

He’d probably have gotten less next year, and he’d be on the hook for tuition money for grad school. I don’t blame him at all for making the choice.

Plus it'd be his 6 year in college, and he'd be 24 - I think almost 25 by the time of the 2021 draft. Might as well take his chance at pro baseball now

Good point (I think) since the avoided cost is probably equal to or greater than whatever bonus he would have received next year. But is your assumption that he would not receive enough of a scholarship to offset the cost?

Advertisement
Good point (I think) since the avoided cost is probably equal to or greater than whatever bonus he would have received next year. But is your assumption that he would not receive enough of a scholarship to offset the cost?
Baseball money would’ve almost certainly been 25-50%. It’s hard to know if he would have qualified for other aid, but I have to imagine he would have been on the hook for something.

Advertisement
Back