2020 Defensive Line

Nesta is all bark and no bite

I also feel Nesta has been more bark than bite so far, with his biggest impact being his abuse of Tommy Kennedy in practice. But Garvin was just quoted as saying that Nesta is poised for a breakout season. So that's what I'm looking for:

From Barry Jackson blog: "NFL-bound UM defensive end Jon Garvin ... was asked in Indianapolis this week if there’s a player on the Hurricanes that he feels “isn’t getting the love that he should be considering the impact he had this year for you guys?”

“The first name that comes to mind is Nesta Silvera,” he said. “He’s not getting the love he deserves, but he’s a bad dude. And he will be.”

What stands out with Silvera, Garvin said, is his ability to move “people out of the way. You’ll see him. You could see it from film this year, from when he was a freshman and you’ll see it again next year.”

Advertisement
S is so important for this type of def. I for one will be honest; I didn’t truly appreciate JJ & Redwine here; they cleaned up a lot. Truth be told, our defense looked much better once Bolden came in full time, and I’m not so sure we don’t start 2-0 w/ him back there. We started to become a bend don’t break def again w/o him there.

I still don’t truly know the identity of our def. since we went w this striker concept, our DB recruiting and LB recruiting has been ?able.

I see three true S on our roster (Williams, Bolden, Hall)

I see five Strikers (Carter, Harrell, Frierson, Washington, and Smith)

I see four DBs (Ivey, Blades Jr, Williams, Couch)

I see 6 LBs (Huff, Ragone (converted), Flagg, Austin-Cave, Brooks, and McCloud)

And some unknowns: Steed, Jennings, Joyner, Clarke, and Balom
Well since you put it that way I see what youre saying, so you don't think any of the listed strikers could play safety?

I respectfully disagree with this stance.

I would argue that Huff, Brooks, and Austin-Cave are better equipped with the skillset for our defensive scheme, than Mccloud, Pickney, and Shaq. No disrespect to the previously mentioned elder statesman, in fact, I love the fact that Mccloud is back because he provides some leadership within the group, but make no mistake, the young bloods are legit.
none of those guys have made plays. Ragone said this is my team.

Should have one of the best if not the best DL in the country.

DE - Greg Rousseau - potential top 10 player in the country

DT - Jon Ford - Senior now who showed flashes of his potential but still hasn't hit his ceiling. Think he can take a big leap this year

DT - Nesta - Expect a big Jr season from Nesta. Really think he can take a leap and dominate this year too

DE - Quincy Roche - Potential top 5 DE in the country.

2 Deep:
Jaelan Phillips - former #1 player, sky high talent
Jordan Miller - Very underrated, expecting a big year from him being the 3rd DT
Jafari Harvey - Next in line at DE, big time potential
Blissett, Harisson-Hunte, Holley - Loads of talent, lets see who emerges

Advertisement
Looking back at the 2019 D-Line, other than Greg Rousseau, I felt a lot of them under performed.

Patchan, Garvin and Hill didn’t make that many impact plays on the edge.

sacks - Garvin 5, Hill 4.5 and Patchan 2.5

I think that Roche, Phillips and Harvey will blow that away this year.

TFL - Garvin slipped from 17 down to 9. Hill had 9.5 and Patchan 6. Again those numbers are not very impressive.

On the interior, I think Ford, Miller and Silvera will improve from their experience last year and have breakout seasons. Interested to see how the young guys like Blissett and Harrison-Hunte progress this year.

Overall I’m excited to see this group perform this season. I think I’d they perform to expectations then it will help out our inexperienced LB’s and thin secondary.

You forgot Holley who could be the most talented dancer as well as player of the young DT's. Kidd is really good.

none of those guys have made plays. Ragone said this is my team.
That was not the original argument at hand. You started by saying that "this defense have no linebackers." I made the argument that we indeed have some talent at linebacker, albeit, they are still young. Now you are moving the goal post by saying "none of those guys have made plays."

The latter is pretty obvious, considering they were behind 3 senior LB's who had been starting since their freshman year. We could certainly use more depth at the position, but the point still remains that we have some young talent at the LB spot and this year they will be able to display it on Saturdays.

I thought the ragone line would show its not that serious bro.. We sucked for 15 years plus, until we dont.. enjoy the offseason

Advertisement
Well since you put it that way I see what youre saying, so you don't think any of the listed strikers could play safety?

I thought K Smith was a viable candidate. Frierson, I’m not so sure. Carter, **** NO. Lol. Maybe Harrell, but I need to see him.

It will take a few games but the young pups at LB are going to show out this season. Having Zach back for his final year is going to pay massive dividends. My concerns are in the back end if we have any rash of injuries we’ll have to play S’s and/or Strikers at the CB spot. Here’s praying all things go well there and that we put Tae in at the nickel back spot. I think he, along with Blades and Ivey are going to shock folks with how good they’ll be this season. It’s all going to be predicated by that monster of a DL.

Advertisement
I think McCloud is gonna be a great leader. He knows he’s the man now. Sometimes when you know you need to take over it just gives you that extra juice.

Our DTs were bullied the majority of the time last year. Our D will continue to be great on paper and “meh” to the eye test until we get consistent disruption of any form by the tackles

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back