2020 Defensive Line

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
Looking back at the 2019 D-Line, other than Greg Rousseau, I felt a lot of them under performed.

Patchan, Garvin and Hill didn’t make that many impact plays on the edge.

sacks - Garvin 5, Hill 4.5 and Patchan 2.5

I think that Roche, Phillips and Harvey will blow that away this year.

TFL - Garvin slipped from 17 down to 9. Hill had 9.5 and Patchan 6. Again those numbers are not very impressive.

On the interior, I think Ford, Miller and Silvera will improve from their experience last year and have breakout seasons. Interested to see how the young guys like Blissett and Harrison-Hunte progress this year.

Overall I’m excited to see this group perform this season. I think I’d they perform to expectations then it will help out our inexperienced LB’s and thin secondary.

Advertisement
Looking back at the 2019 D-Line, other than Greg Rousseau, I felt a lot of them under performed.

TFL - Garvin slipped from 17 down to 9. Hill had 9.5 and Patchan 6. Again those numbers are not very impressive.

On the interior, I think Ford, Miller and Silvera will improve from their experience last year and have breakout seasons. Interested to see how the young guys like Blissett and Harrison-Hunte progress this year.

Overall I’m excited to see this group perform this season. I think I’d they perform to expectations then it will help out our inexperienced LB’s and thin secondary.
I see us having some growing pains across the board on defense at the start of the season. The offense will grow leaps and bounds and will be able to cover us until the D gets their act together. Due to the type of opponents we are playing early on, i think that will help them to get settled into their new positions. We have several guys that will not be participating in spring ball so i believe this will slow our progression in the beginning. D-line does have an opportunity to be better than last year, linebackers should be faster than last year, and the secondary should have more chemistry. I really do wish they would move Carter to Linebacker/Striker where i believe he is best suited. Budda, Hall, Williams, and the others I think would hold down the safety positions. I don't think we can under estimate how much the improvement in our offense will help our Defense out a lot. We really need the D Tackles to cause havoc up front. Didn't do that enough consistently last year.

The DEsin 2018 benefitted from Willis pushing the center back on his *** so often, and from Quan and Red providing solid cover. We didn’t get close to that push or coverage support in 2019.

I think Hall and Bolden take a big step. But Silvera needs to be that dog. None of the other DTs look like interior rushers. If he can’t get it done, I expect we’ll see a lot more 3 DE sets with Rousseau coming from the inside. Robertson start seeing some action from there late in the season, too. But what we really need is for our 5 star to start demonstrating he deserved the reputation as Nasty.

Advertisement
I think the defense will be stronger than last year's. The pass rushing figures to be excellent, which will help the secondary. There will be less experience at linebacker but the talent is there. The offense will better because of the new approach and huge upgrade at qb. My main concern is the offensive line which may be slightly better if Rivers can supplant Nelson. My feeling is that the defense will be better than the offense simply because there are better linemen on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
Nesta, Ford and Miller. Those 3 take that next step, and we will see a huge improvement in productivity from our DL.

And we desperately need Nesta to be that playmaker from the 3T spot. We need him to bring to the table what Willis and McIntosh brought - which we really missed last year.

Overall the defense should be slightly better based on who replaces the outgoing players

LB Quarterman > McCloud
DB Finley > Frierson
CB Bandy > Blades
LB Pinckney > Joyner
DE Garvin < Roche
DE Hill = Phillips
DT Bethel < Silvera
FS Knowles < Bolden
DE Patchan = Harvey
DT Nnoruka < Miller

Overall the defense should be slightly better based on who replaces the outgoing players

LB Quarterman > McCloud
DB Finley > Frierson
CB Bandy > Blades
LB Pinckney > Joyner
DE Garvin < Roche
DE Hill = Phillips
DT Bethel < Silvera
FS Knowles < Bolden
DE Patchan = Harvey
DT Nnoruka < Miller

Slightly disagree with your evals. But agree with your overall point.

LB Quarterman > McCloud
DB Finley > Frierson
CB Bandy > Blades
LB Pinckney > Joyner
DE Garvin < Roche
DE Hill = Phillips
DT Bethel < Silvera
FS Knowles < Bolden
DE Patchan = Harvey
DT Nnoruka < Miller
I can give you Shaq & Pinck based on previous production, but the potential of this year's D is far better. A healthy Hall & Bolden will be elite and will help our secondary. I take Blades over Bandy 7 days a week. He had a good year with minor mistakes, which are common for a young corner. Harvey > Patchan, I liked Finley, but he was a liability in coverage. I'll wait to see how Gil improved this off-season on that one. Physical abilities alone dictate Phillips > Hill. Our D could be good this year, a couple guys just have to show slight growth, which should be the case.

Advertisement
The DEsin 2018 benefitted from Willis pushing the center back on his *** so often, and from Quan and Red providing solid cover. We didn’t get close to that push or coverage support in 2019.

I think Hall and Bolden take a big step. But Silvera needs to be that dog. None of the other DTs look like interior rushers. If he can’t get it done, I expect we’ll see a lot more 3 DE sets with Rousseau coming from the inside. Robertson start seeing some action from there late in the season, too. But what we really need is for our 5 star to start demonstrating he deserved the reputation as Nasty.
👎🏾

Miller will hold down the fort on the run. Has the potential to clog that middle and allow McCloud to make plays.
If he can be in more than 5 snaps a game. I just don't get why he didn't get more time last year.

Advertisement
I loved what I saw from Miller in limited playing time last year, disruptive & strong af. I think he beats out silvera to start but ford, miller, and nesta should all be good. If one of the younger DT's emerges quickly then we have a chance to be scary on d line. Safety group is strong but linebackers are totally unproven & corner depth is scary thin. Just having an offense worth a **** should be the biggest blessing for this defense. Imagine what the D can do if the O actually converted third downs and gave us some comfortable leads regularly.

I was definitely expecting more from our D-Line last year. Of them all, Garvin and Nesta was the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Regarding Nesta, I am not saying that he was bad, as much as I am saying that I expected more from him. Hopefully, this year it comes together for him. I am a big fan. Garvin seemed to have "smelled himself" as the old folks used to say. There were several plays, some in pivotal moments, where the effort just was not there on his end.

On the flipside, Jordan Miller, exceeded most pundits expectations. He just didn't get that many snaps to where his performance would reflect in stats.

Also, Rousseau should have been starting from day 1, which would have made a huge difference, including us winning the UF game.

I am fully expecting the D-Line to perform significantly better this year.

LB Quarterman > McCloud
DB Finley > Frierson
CB Bandy > Blades
LB Pinckney > Joyner
DE Garvin < Roche
DE Hill = Phillips
DT Bethel < Silvera
FS Knowles < Bolden
DE Patchan = Harvey
DT Nnoruka < Miller

We will miss Finley. Athletically Frierson is an upgrade but we need the light to come on first.

Our DLinemen don't seem to use their hands to beat OLinemen

Advertisement
Back