2020 Defensive Line

You guys are sleeping on Huff and Brooks. Young? yes, but no shortage of athleticism, talent, and competitiveness to make a splash early in their careers.

Advertisement
I was definitely expecting more from our D-Line last year. Of them all, Garvin and Nesta was the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Regarding Nesta, I am not saying that he was bad, as much as I am saying that I expected more from him. Hopefully, this year it comes together for him. I am a big fan. Garvin seemed to have "smelled himself" as the old folks used to say. There were several plays, some in pivotal moments, where the effort just was not there on his end.

On the flipside, Jordan Miller, exceeded most pundits expectations. He just didn't get that many snaps to where his performance would reflect in stats.

Also, Rousseau should have been starting from day 1, which would have made a huge difference, including us winning the UF game.

I am fully expecting the D-Line to perform significantly better this year.

Miller is out Best DT, most of his snaps seems to collapse the middle of the Oline

Overall the defense should be slightly better based on who replaces the outgoing players

LB Quarterman > McCloud
DB Finley > Frierson
CB Bandy > Blades
LB Pinckney > Joyner
DE Garvin < Roche
DE Hill = Phillips
DT Bethel < Silvera
FS Knowles < Bolden
DE Patchan = Harvey
DT Nnoruka < Miller

This seems like you're saying RIGHT NOW and now how they project through their careers. Looking at it that way changes a few of these.

This D should finish the season significantly better than last year's D, but will probably struggle through the first few games. Not having a Shaq out there is gonna hurt, and I see no true leader right now. Expecting Blades to fill that role, and hopefully Nesta.

I can't be the only one who is absolutely terrified of a serious injury at CB though. We really, really needed a grad transfer there.

Advertisement
I was definitely expecting more from our D-Line last year. Of them all, Garvin and Nesta was the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Regarding Nesta, I am not saying that he was bad, as much as I am saying that I expected more from him. Hopefully, this year it comes together for him.

Wasn't Nesta dealing with a shoulder injury for much of last season?

Wasn't Nesta dealing with a shoulder injury for much of last season?
Garvin, Hill, Pickney, Shaq, and several on offense all played with injuries last year. I'm just saying that I expected more from Nesta last season. Again, I'm a huge Jade fan, in which I'm looking forward to seeing him hopefully breakout this year.

Advertisement
I think McCloud was misplaced at Sam. Watching his high school film, he played on the inside and was a stud. I think he’ll be much more comfortable in one of those positions.

Brooks and Huff have a chance to be explosive playmakers. Usually the biggest improvement for LB’s come in their 2nd year.

You guys are sleeping on Huff and Brooks. Young? yes, but no shortage of athleticism, talent, and competitiveness to make a splash early in their careers.
We’re gonna have the smallest starting LBs ever at Miami, better hope the middle o the Dline holds up

Last edited:
Advertisement
How many of our S are true S in your opinion? I feel like we have more “strikers” than S, tbh.

Let's see, Hall, Bolden, Avantae, Smith, and Harrell are all true safties. I'll even throw Frierson in there he could play safety as well

I was definitely expecting more from our D-Line last year. Of them all, Garvin and Nesta was the biggest disappointment, in my opinion. Regarding Nesta, I am not saying that he was bad, as much as I am saying that I expected more from him. Hopefully, this year it comes together for him. I am a big fan. Garvin seemed to have "smelled himself" as the old folks used to say. There were several plays, some in pivotal moments, where the effort just was not there on his end.

On the flipside, Jordan Miller, exceeded most pundits expectations. He just didn't get that many snaps to where his performance would reflect in stats.

Also, Rousseau should have been starting from day 1, which would have made a huge difference, including us winning the UF game.

I am fully expecting the D-Line to perform significantly better this year.
Well Nesta did come off an injury, missed the first 5 games

Advertisement
Ok, so I guess we are thin at safety as well then

S is so important for this type of def. I for one will be honest; I didn’t truly appreciate JJ & Redwine here; they cleaned up a lot. Truth be told, our defense looked much better once Bolden came in full time, and I’m not so sure we don’t start 2-0 w/ him back there. We started to become a bend don’t break def again w/o him there.

I still don’t truly know the identity of our def. since we went w this striker concept, our DB recruiting and LB recruiting has been ?able.

I see three true S on our roster (Williams, Bolden, Hall)

I see five Strikers (Carter, Harrell, Frierson, Washington, and Smith)

I see four DBs (Ivey, Blades Jr, Williams, Couch)

I see 6 LBs (Huff, Ragone (converted), Flagg, Austin-Cave, Brooks, and McCloud)

And some unknowns: Steed, Jennings, Joyner, Clarke, and Balom

This defense has no LB. The fact we havent been able to recruit a stud LB since golden left is ******* sad, wtf
I respectfully disagree with this stance.

I would argue that Huff, Brooks, and Austin-Cave are better equipped with the skillset for our defensive scheme, than Mccloud, Pickney, and Shaq. No disrespect to the previously mentioned elder statesman, in fact, I love the fact that Mccloud is back because he provides some leadership within the group, but make no mistake, the young bloods are legit.

Advertisement
Back