2020 DB Edric Whitley offered

Advertisement
they are basically lookin at senior film of these guys and offering off potential... weak year at CB in Florida...we got 4CBs who will play alot next year n 2 or 3 more that will redshirt... 2021 u can't miss....CB is deep

https://247sports.com/Player/Edric-Whitley-46085297/

5'11 160lbs CB from out of Pflugerville TX, goes to 5A school Weiss.

Had 5INT's 15PBU's & 700yds as a KR/PR, runs a 4.34 40 with a 4.02 shuttle.

His only offers are UNLV, Sam Houston St, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian & Texas Southern.

I'm guessing this means they know they're not getting Rakestraw... Idk why TF they're offering a kid like this but not offering De'Arre McDonald or Lorando Johnson.

But once again, Miami with "eLiTe" CB recruiting smh...

Do you think most of Rumph's recruiting failures are his inability or lack of wanting to sell to HS kids, or more him being dictated to in terms of who he can extend offers to and to what area to concentrate on. I have noticed this year for plan B kids, they just skipped south FL altogether and went straight to TX.

Not trying to defend Rumph's recruiting deficiencies, we all can agree he has some. Now that I have that out of the way.

We actually need to take guys like this and I would take a minimum of two every cycle, until we get the CB room back right with depth and we start landing CB recruits who need less development before they see the field. The point of any recruit no matter the position is projecting what you think he can be developed into regardless of star ranking. This is what Butch was revered for and why everyone loves him. By no means I am saying that Rumph or anyone on this staff is Butch, but we have developed some raw players into NFL prospects (most notably Michael Jackson,Gregory Rousseau, and etc.) Most people know that star rankings are a mixed bag with some legit players who deserve them, while others benefit from the politics side of it or the camp circuit, while others get the benefit of none.

Take D.J. Ivey for example most people thought he was a coup because he appeared to show refined technique at such a young age and his ability to mirror receivers and stay in their pocket was good. Fast forward to now everyone is killing him because he lacks closing speed (which we all knew but ignored) and he has shown that he is stiff and rigid when he is forced to open up his hips and the mirroring ability we clamored might have been over hyped (Hopefully the kid improves and get better).

CB is a position where technique, change of direction, closing speed and other little nuances (long arms and etc.) are important skills/traits that when armed together properly make a player good or great. Some of those things can be taught like technique for example while others like speed and agility can't per-say. Ivey is an example that shows this because he lacks closing speed, and good COD, he continually suffers in man coverage and that can not be overcome in certain situations because he lacks an unteachable trait/skill.

I'm not calling Ivey a project like Whitley, but my point is we should take a few guys like Whitley who possess good/great speed, agility, and etc. to build depth, because technique is a major part of what a CB must learn to progress and develop appropriately anyway and this is supposed to be Rumph's calling card.

I get we already missed the boat on some guys we should have or could have taken, but lets focus on what we can do to fix the problem now and how to prevent this going forward by building depth through development. Give me some guys that possesses good speed and natural athleticism that doesn't mind being developed for a few years and learning the position.

Wasn't Brown (UCF commit) a raw player that we were ok with taking at CB knowing he needed development? Although he was rated as a 4 star and not to compare these guys to him, but CJ Henderson was Raw as a CB as well coming out, but coaches knew they could develop and mold his raw talent (which was elite) into a finished product. Of course we can see he obviously turned into a 1st day pick, but with any player it's about projecting and none of them are sure fire bets to be NFL propsects.

Just my opinion give me a few highly athletic raw players to go along with other more developed players every year to build depth until the winning comes and things change. This is how redshirting can be a good thing when used correctly.

Advertisement
You guys all blame rumph like we’d still be locking up 5 stars without him. Our lb recruiting has been horrible. Kids don’t want to play for manny. Manny’s downfall might be the defense now that lashlee is here. At some point lack of depth will catch up to this program
We're blaming Rumph because this is his position. How hard is it to accept that? We're purely talking about cornerbacks right now. This is on Mike Rumph and Manny Diaz for not firing Mike Rumph. It's simple.

Advertisement
We're blaming Rumph because this is his position. How hard is it to accept that? We're purely talking about cornerbacks right now. This is on Mike Rumph and Manny Diaz for not firing Mike Rumph. It's simple.
my point was our whole back 7 has issues. No one defensive coach accept mayne stroud has shown himself worthy.

Sure, those dudes all suck too. This is a cornerback thread though and somehow Mike Rumph is always getting caped for completely mismanaging his cornerback board every single season.
the truth is this. maybe @Coach Macho @dsddcane or some others can validate it. Our LB and DB recruiting have struggled not jsut because rumph or any position coach. Manny is not well regarded locally and the majority of top targets at those position come from in state. Look at DL last year, where did the kids come from? Phillips is a portal guy, holley from GA, and 2 kids from NY. we got harvey and cam yes but majority of those DL guys came out of state. No one in so fla is taking manny or his gimmck blitzing and striker talk serious.

Advertisement
Fast kid that will have to be taught how to play CB.

They're basically just offering anybody who runs a 4.4 or lower & just hoping we can mold them into a legit CB.

The problem is we're extremely thin at CB & have no depth to be bringing in project CB's who are 1-2 seasons away from being contributors at CB. The most they can do is play Special Teams.

This kid, Colson & Marcus Clarke are all projects, now Clarke is farther ahead & more naturally talented than the other two, but none of them will be EE's & none of them can be expected to come in & play right away, they're all Redshirt players.

Which means we're going to have Al Blades Jr, Ivey (who's horrendous in coverage), Couch & Williams who have never started a game, and two CB's that will need a Redshirt & neither physically ready to play as TF's.

We literally might not have a playable 2-deep lineup at CB, as it stands we seriously have only enough CB's to run the Dime package & if any of them get hurt we'll have to play two TF's that need a redshirt & are two years away. We have 4 playable Corners, with one being terrible in coverage & 2 having to learn on the job.

In other words, Rumph has done a terrific job with the CB room...

8381216.jpg

Not trying to defend Rumph's recruiting deficiencies, we all can agree he has some. Now that I have that out of the way.

We actually need to take guys like this and I would take a minimum of two every cycle, until we get the CB room back right with depth and we start landing CB recruits who need less development before they see the field. The point of any recruit no matter the position is projecting what you think he can be developed into regardless of star ranking. This is what Butch was revered for and why everyone loves him. By no means I am saying that Rumph or anyone on this staff is Butch, but we have developed some raw players into NFL prospects (most notably Michael Jackson,Gregory Rousseau, and etc.) Most people know that star rankings are a mixed bag with some legit players who deserve them, while others benefit from the politics side of it or the camp circuit, while others get the benefit of none.

Take D.J. Ivey for example most people thought he was a coup because he appeared to show refined technique at such a young age and his ability to mirror receivers and stay in their pocket was good. Fast forward to now everyone is killing him because he lacks closing speed (which we all knew but ignored) and he has shown that he is stiff and rigid when he is forced to open up his hips and the mirroring ability we clamored might have been over hyped (Hopefully the kid improves and get better).

CB is a position where technique, change of direction, closing speed and other little nuances (long arms and etc.) are important skills/traits that when armed together properly make a player good or great. Some of those things can be taught like technique for example while others like speed and agility can't per-say. Ivey is an example that shows this because he lacks closing speed, and good COD, he continually suffers in man coverage and that can not be overcome in certain situations because he lacks an unteachable trait/skill.

I'm not calling Ivey a project like Whitley, but my point is we should take a few guys like Whitley who possess good/great speed, agility, and etc. to build depth, because technique is a major part of what a CB must learn to progress and develop appropriately anyway and this is supposed to be Rumph's calling card.

I get we already missed the boat on some guys we should have or could have taken, but lets focus on what we can do to fix the problem now and how to prevent this going forward by building depth through development. Give me some guys that possesses good speed and natural athleticism that doesn't mind being developed for a few years and learning the position.

Wasn't Brown (UCF commit) a raw player that we were ok with taking at CB knowing he needed development? Although he was rated as a 4 star and not to compare these guys to him, but CJ Henderson was Raw as a CB as well coming out, but coaches knew they could develop and mold his raw talent (which was elite) into a finished product. Of course we can see he obviously turned into a 1st day pick, but with any player it's about projecting and none of them are sure fire bets to be NFL propsects.

Just my opinion give me a few highly athletic raw players to go along with other more developed players every year to build depth until the winning comes and things change. This is how redshirting can be a good thing when used correctly.
No people blamed rumph because he is a lazy recruiter and doesn't offer kids till it's way to late or he goes out and offers kids who are not miami material. Along with the fact he slow plays kids and drops contact with them even when they commit to us .We have 4 corners on scholarship and as of right now we are only bringing in 1 more corner a kid who's film is mostly him playing wr. That's why he is scrutinized and deservingly so

Advertisement
the truth is this. maybe @Coach Macho @dsddcane or some others can validate it. Our LB and DB recruiting have struggled not jsut because rumph or any position coach. Manny is not well regarded locally and the majority of top targets at those position come from in state. Look at DL last year, where did the kids come from? Phillips is a portal guy, holley from GA, and 2 kids from NY. we got harvey and cam yes but majority of those DL guys came out of state. No one in so fla is taking manny or his gimmck blitzing and striker talk serious.
We also know for a fact that Rumph isn't respected in SFLA too. Why does every deflection have to be about people other than Rumph? I'm not oblivious to the fact that other guys suck too. But this is solely about Rumph right now.

We also know for a fact that Rumph isn't respected in SFLA too. Why does every deflection have to be about people other than Rumph? I'm not oblivious to the fact that other guys suck too. But this is solely about Rumph right now.
bro, im not saying rumph hasnt underperformed, im saying its the staff as a whole. if hes gone, it aint changing

Dude rumph used to tell kids when he was coaching at American heritage to not go to miami and now the same guy is telling kids to come here. I'm sorry I used to stick up for him but I'm done and his "coaching" is overrated he hasn't coached up any cb since being here

bro, im not saying rumph hasnt underperformed, im saying its the staff as a whole. if hes gone, it aint changing
We suck on offense and we still get guys. If you have guys with a pulse who can recruit, then you can still outperform what Mike Rumph has done here. He's essentially committed recruiting malpractice every year. He's unorganized AND can't connect with kids. I'm not buying the everyone hates Manny excuse because somehow they still sent kids to play for his ****** offense. Why? Because Hickson can recruit.

Advertisement
Back