2020 Class- Top Targets & Offers: Defense

I like these lists and definitely appreciate the work that goes into them. But between the offense and defense lists, you've got UM's 2020 class at 27-34. That's just too big.

I think the upper-bound for this class is, at most, 27 (because of initial counters, and more likely Phillips will likely drop the number to 26 depending on when/if he enrolls). But we also don't have many seniors leaving the roster next year, so for the first time in forever the 85 hard cap could possibly be a factor. I think it's unlikely to be a significant limiting factor, though, as I expect kids to be processed out and/or transfer, along with (as usual) a few juniors that declare early.

We are currently at 81 scholarships. Including the new transfers, we have 14 seniors on the roster. Garvin and Thomas are 2 juniors that I could envision leaving early with a great season... outside chance for guys like Bandy/Dallas/Donaldson with exceptions years). I have to imagine at least 1-2 of our QBs transfer out, maybe as early as the end of Spring. Maybe another transfer on the interior OL, or somewhere else on the roster.

So if we add 14 graduating seniors to the 4 current roster spots, assume 2-4 juniors leave early, add 2-5 transfers/processed kids, and subtract one spot for Phillips, I think we'll have space to bring in 21-26 (recruiting class + transfers). I expect a recruiting class in the low to mid 20s.

Shoutout to @calinative umstudent for maintaining a solid spreadsheet on updated class size here.

Advertisement
I like these lists and definitely appreciate the work that goes into them. But between the offense and defense lists, you've got UM's 2020 class at 27-34. That's just too big.

I think the upper-bound for this class is, at most, 27 (because of initial counters, and more likely Phillips will likely drop the number to 26 depending on when/if he enrolls). But we also don't have many seniors leaving the roster next year, so for the first time in forever the 85 hard cap could possibly be a factor. I think it's unlikely to be a significant limiting factor, though, as I expect kids to be processed out and/or transfer, along with (as usual) a few juniors that declare early.

We are currently at 81 scholarships. Including the new transfers, we have 14 seniors on the roster. Garvin and Thomas are 2 juniors that I could envision leaving early with a great season... outside chance for guys like Bandy/Dallas/Donaldson with exceptions years). I have to imagine at least 1-2 of our QBs transfer out, maybe as early as the end of Spring. Maybe another transfer on the interior OL, or somewhere else on the roster.

So if we add 14 graduating seniors to the 4 current roster spots, assume 2-4 juniors leave early, add 2-5 transfers/processed kids, and subtract one spot for Phillips, I think we'll have space to bring in 21-26 (recruiting class + transfers). I expect a recruiting class in the low to mid 20s.

Shoutout to @calinative umstudent for maintaining a solid spreadsheet on updated class size here.
Patchan, Kennedy, Osborn, Hill, Bethel, Finley, Pinckney, McCloud, Atkins, Murphy, Shaq, UCLA DT, and Knowles. Am I missing someone for graduating seniors?

I think it could also depend on who else on the board comes aboard. For instance, lets say we get Gray (true CB) and Davis or Ringo or **** even Harrell who I think will blow up. Then that gives us the luxury of being able to move Jaidon over to FS. I actually love the fact a lot of DB guys we are after could actually move around and play both.

Nobody mentioning Hanna in the secondary...insta-offered at junior day and a complete monster

Advertisement

Yeah, Min if ONLY the seniors graduate and nobody else leaves is 18 scholarships for 2020. (17-16 if we get Phillips and another OLineman like we plan to).
In order for us to reach the max of initial counters though, we would need like 10 guys to leave early/transfer out.
I think a reasonable list of guys that are likely to leave early is:

For Draft - Jeff Thomas, Jon Garvin, Trajan Bandy, and Maybe Deejay Dallas or Navaugh Donaldson. So Probably 2, and maybe up to 4.

Transfer out - AT LEAST 1-2 of the QBs. Martell is probably staying. But if Nkosi loses the job, I don't see any way he sticks. Weldon might get kicked off the team or leave....either one is pretty likely tbh.
Wouldn't be surprised if Irvin Jr transfered out after this season if brevin and mallory both pass him up. I'd expect probably one OLineman - Dykstra, to leave. On defense, honestly the ONLY person I think that could/should leave is Tyreic Martin.
Also I think it'd be pretty reasonable for Marshall Few to transfer out. He can use the fact he's got a scholarship at Miami to try to go somewhere a bit smaller where he can actually get PT.

So I think a min of like 7 or so Non Seniors Leave next year.

Advertisement
Jalen harrel, jaiden Francois, and somebody else; I would say henry gray but I don't think he will commit again, so maybe stanley, Davis, or somebody else as CB, and Tennison and another safety, preferably 6'1+, and Jordan Morant as a striker.

Yeah, Min if ONLY the seniors graduate and nobody else leaves is 18 scholarships for 2020. (17-16 if we get Phillips and another OLineman like we plan to).
In order for us to reach the max of initial counters though, we would need like 10 guys to leave early/transfer out.
I think a reasonable list of guys that are likely to leave early is:

For Draft - Jeff Thomas, Jon Garvin, Trajan Bandy, and Maybe Deejay Dallas or Navaugh Donaldson. So Probably 2, and maybe up to 4.

Transfer out - AT LEAST 1-2 of the QBs. Martell is probably staying. But if Nkosi loses the job, I don't see any way he sticks. Weldon might get kicked off the team or leave....either one is pretty likely tbh.
Wouldn't be surprised if Irvin Jr transfered out after this season if brevin and mallory both pass him up. I'd expect probably one OLineman - Dykstra, to leave. On defense, honestly the ONLY person I think that could/should leave is Tyreic Martin.
Also I think it'd be pretty reasonable for Marshall Few to transfer out. He can use the fact he's got a scholarship at Miami to try to go somewhere a bit smaller where he can actually get PT.

So I think a min of like 7 or so Non Seniors Leave next year.
If Phillips and Braun count towards 2020 counter, then wouldn't we have 2 spots open for EE? Do u know how many initial counters we have used so far for 2019.

If Phillips and Braun count towards 2020 counter, then wouldn't we have 2 spots open for EE? Do u know how many initial counters we have used so far for 2019.
we've used 24 Initial Counters for 2019. With back-counting, Diaz has made it seem like we can use a total of 26 IC's....though I though we'd have 27-28...so who knows if maybe he's just saving a few for 2020 EE's to use? idk, but Phillips and Braun would put us at the max initial counters for this season (and put us at 83 total scholarships) from what Diaz has said. That would mean max we can sign in 2020 class would be 25 - though that would require us to have attrition anyways since we only have 14 seniors.

Basically next year will be the first time in maybe a decade plus that we will actually be limited by the full 85 scholarship counter limit.

Advertisement

By my math, we have two left to count backwards (if Clay James receiving a scholarship cost us an ic, which is a somewhat unclear because of the timing and rule change) next class, but that's not counting Phillips and Braun.

That's why my ceiling was 26 (25 initial counters for 2019 + room to backcount 2 EEs into 2018 - 17 signees in 2019 - 7 transfers - an IC for James - an IC for Phillips = 1 2019 IC that can be counted against by a 2020 EE). I'm assuming we get Phillips, and I believe (though I have not found anything definitive) that giving James a scholarship cost us an IC.

we've used 24 Initial Counters for 2019. With back-counting, Diaz has made it seem like we can use a total of 26 IC's....though I though we'd have 27-28...so who knows if maybe he's just saving a few for 2020 EE's to use? idk, but Phillips and Braun would put us at the max initial counters for this season (and put us at 83 total scholarships) from what Diaz has said. That would mean max we can sign in 2020 class would be 25 - though that would require us to have attrition anyways since we only have 14 seniors.

Basically next year will be the first time in maybe a decade plus that we will actually be limited by the full 85 scholarship counter limit.

That's part of the reason I suspect Clay James getting put on scholarship cost us a 2019 IC. If you add that into the equation, all the other math checks out.

That's part of the reason I suspect Clay James getting put on scholarship cost us a 2019 IC. If you add that into the equation, all the other math checks out.
Idk, because the NCAA changed the rule to make it if a player is on campus for a yr, they no longer count as an IC if they are awarded a scholarship. It would be pretty ******* stupid to give a long snapper a scholarship if its gunna cost us a IC, honestly.

Personally I think only juniors or senior walk ons should be given Scholarships anyway tbh.

Advertisement
Jayion McCluster has officially said he will be here March 23rd.

FSU leads but Auburn, Us, and UF being right there.

If we recruit Holmes as a defensive player, we are handing him to FSU or Ohio State. Kid is a Cane. He ran the ball very well last year for Cocoa. He is as talented as they come but wants to play RB in college and that is no secret.

Kid said he’s open to playing WR.

Anyway, I’m not opposed to playing him at RB. Kid reminds me of Alfred shipman in terms of size/speed/ability.

Advertisement
Back