2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement

We didn't make his top 3.
Not surprised we didn't make the cut. Most of these transfers are playing nice and naming Miami as possible landing spots because our staff has made contact, but I doubt any of these players are seriously considering Miami at this point. As I said a few weeks, any player with a chance to play pro ball who decides to transfer to Miami needs to have their head examined.

I'm not sure if Dewan was ever going to be NBA ready, but I get your point.
If you're a top 20 player nationally coming out of high school, then chances are you're an NBA prospect. Don't get it twisted, coming out of Norland there was a lot of talk of him being a 1 and done. I think it's pretty evident that Dewan chose the wrong school. Miami does a good job of developing perimeter players, but isn't known for developing NBA bigs. He should've never picked Miami. Hate to say it, but he should've gone to play for Coach Ham in trailerhassee.

Advertisement
If you're a top 20 player nationally coming out of high school, then chances are you're an NBA prospect. Don't get it twisted, coming out of Norland there was a lot of talk of him being a 1 and done. I think it's pretty evident that Dewan chose the wrong school. Miami does a good job of developing perimeter players, but isn't known for developing NBA bigs. He should've never picked Miami. Hate to say it, but he should've gone to play for Coach Ham in trailerhassee.
Dewan out of HS was overrated in getting the 4 or 5 stars he got. That would've been true no matter where he went. He was raw. His game was just starting to come around a bit when his problems hit.

In fairness, we will really never know.
Dream had some great games as a sophomore in 2018. Minnesota and Duke immediately come to mind.
Also, at Notre Dame when he and Ebuka showed a very good high low game.
The FBI scandal actually hurt him because he was suspended for his junior year, which may have been his best year as a player.
Truthfully, we will never know.

Dewan out of HS was overrated in getting the 4 or 5 stars he got. That would've been true no matter where he went. He was raw. His game was just starting to come around a bit when his problems hit.

Agreed, Dewan's ranking was more a function of his size and athleticism than his actual basketball skill. Every year the services seem to overrate guys like that.

Advertisement
Who are we still in play for? Losing track with so many names, but I know the Northeastern kid chose Michigan State and we aren't in West's final 3.

So that leaves John Harrar from Penn State. Who else that we are aware of?

Agreed, Dewan's ranking was more a function of his size and athleticism than his actual basketball skill. Every year the services seem to overrate guys like that.
No prospect coming out of high school is a finished product and by no means was I inferring that Dewan was one. When Dewan got to Miami he was a 6'10"+ athletic big oozing with potential. He dominated in high school, on the travel ball circuit and at the national camps.

In fairness, we will really never know.
Dream had some great games as a sophomore in 2018. Minnesota and Duke immediately come to mind.
Also, at Notre Dame when he and Ebuka showed a very good high low game.
The FBI scandal actually hurt him because he was suspended for his junior year, which may have been his best year as a player.
Truthfully, we will never know.
We'll never know for sure, but if you take what fsu's staff did with Raiquan Gray for example. This guy wasn't highly regarded. Looked more like a DE coming out of HS than an NBA prospect. Yet, it looks like he may get drafted in a few months. If fsu can develop Gray into that, there's no telling what they may have done with Dewan.

Who are we still in play for? Losing track with so many names, but I know the Northeastern kid chose Michigan State and we aren't in West's final 3.

So that leaves John Harrar from Penn State. Who else that we are aware of?
No one of note. Seems like we're just getting jerked around. I'd be shocked if we land any of the highly coveted players in the portal. Unlike our AD and coach, these players can see the writing on the wall.

Last edited:
No one of note. Seems like we're just getting jerked around. I'd be shocked if we land any of the highly coveted players in the portal. Unlike our AD and coach, these players can see the writing on the wall.
Agreed. At this point, I have no idea how we are going to fill out the roster. Might have to take a bunch of Anthony Mack level players.

Advertisement
No prospect coming out of high school is a finished product and by no means was I inferring that Dewan was one. When Dewan got to Miami he was a 6'10"+ athletic big oozing with potential. He dominated in high school, on the travel ball circuit and at the national camps.

Understand.

A four/five star evaluation, though, is supposed to mean a player has high likelihood of early success in college, more than than just "oozing with potential." I think expectations were set VERY high for Dewan, probably unreasonably so (he averaged 5.8 ppg as a frosh).

Dewan certainly showed development, though, and I think we all hoped to really see the breakout season that he seemed ready to have. A real shame his career here ended as it did.

Advertisement
Agreed. At this point, I have no idea how we are going to fill out the roster. Might have to take a bunch of Anthony Mack level players.

You definitely need to have the right plan.
My suggestion would be to add 4 grad transfers, 2 junior transfers, 1 sophomore transfer and two 2021 high school seniors.

This is easier with a coaching change because a new coach has a buzz and excitement about him coming to the school.

Long term, if you believe @King of Allapattah about the talent level of the kids in "The State of Miami" on the hardwood the next two recruiting cycles then you want to have ten scholarships available to overhaul the roster as you upgrade the talent.

That's how I would approach the situation.

We'll never know for sure, but if you take what fsu's staff did with Raiquan Gray for example. This guy wasn't highly regarded. Looked more like a DE coming out of HS than an NBA prospect. Yet, it looks like he may get drafted in a few months. If fsu can develop Gray into that, there's no telling what they may have done with Dewan.
I’ve always said this staff doesn’t do a good job with bigs, especially since Konkol and Huger left. They don’t involve them in the offense. L has repeatedly said their job is to rebound and defend, and occasionally score off second chance opportunities . Today’s bigs worth a **** also went theirs on the offensive end. The game has changed, yet L talks about big men like this is the early 1990’s. I think is this part of the reason why it’s so difficult for us to recruit any bigs out of high school anymore.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back