2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Posted this in the Timberlake thread but ... fits here as well:

Georgetown has emerging star Donte Harris back at PG next season. They also recruited 5 star Aminu Mohammed (#18 on ESPN Top 100) to start at SG. I really don't see a fit for Lykes. We'll see what happens. Mohammed, though, didn't sign with the Hoyas not to be a starter from Day One.

The bigger issue is with Georgetown now ahead of schedule on their rebuild, I don't see this coaching staff being able to go into the DMV and getting any high level high major kids any longer.
As you know, when Georgetown is good, they get all of the stud players between DC and Baltimore.
You are right about Harris but they could bring in Lykes for one year in case Haris goes through a sophomore slump.

Advertisement

6'9 240 lbs F

So it looks like the coaching staff is going to load up on as many one and done seniors as they can get.
That is a great strategy.
It means the next coaching staff will have plenty of available scholarships and he will not have to lock any kids off the team.

The bigger issue is with Georgetown now ahead of schedule on their rebuild, I don't see this coaching staff being able to go into the DMV and getting any high level high major kids any longer.
As you know, when Georgetown is good, they get all of the stud players between DC and Baltimore.
You are right about Harris but they could bring in Lykes for one year in case Haris goes through a sophomore slump.
The local DMV publicity on this Big East Championship is refueling interest in G'town, the likes of which hasn't been seen in decades.

As for Lykes having to bank on a Harris "soph slump" would seem pretty desperate. Also, I don't think Lykes would be competing for the PG slot there. Ewing and his assistants know that Lykes is NOT a PG. Harris could slump and his strong distributing and defensive skills still keep him with the bulk of the PG minutes.

The local DMV publicity on this Big East Championship is refueling interest in G'town, the likes of which hasn't been seen in decades.

As for Lykes having to bank on a Harris "soph slump" would seem pretty desperate. Also, I don't think Lykes would be competing for the PG slot there. Ewing and his assistants know that Lykes is NOT a PG. Harris could slump and his strong distributing and defensive skills still keep him with the bulk of the PG minutes.
Exactly. Lykes could play SG, which despite his height, that’s what he is.

Exactly. Lykes could play SG, which despite his height, that’s what he is.
Ewing will have to consider how much he might alienate his 5 star high school SG recruit, Aminu Mohammed, if he brings Lykes in to play major minutes at SG. Maybe he can finesse that, maybe he'd rather not have to try. Conversely, in his last year of college ball, wouldn't Lykes rather be in a position where he can be assured of being the team leader? Guess we shall see.

Advertisement
Ewing will have to consider how much he might alienate his 5 star high school SG recruit, Aminu Mohammed, if he brings Lykes in to play major minutes at SG. Maybe he can finesse that, maybe he'd rather not have to try. Conversely, in his last year of college ball, wouldn't Lykes rather be in a position where he can be assured of being the team leader? Guess we shall see.
If I was Lykes, I'd leave to play overseas, not transfer to another mediocre program. Another season of college basketball is not going to help Lykes's NBA prospects.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This guy would be at the absolute top of my priority list. Any idea if we've contacted him?

I have not read anything at this point. The assistant coaches may be interviewing for head coaching job so recruiting may be on hold.
Pure speculation but I have only read Miami's name once with a transfer.

Advertisement
What the heck is going on at Penn State. Coaching change and pretty much the whole team hits the portal?

Advertisement
Back