2019 Va Tech vs Rhode Island

Advertisement
At the end of the 3rd quarter, Va Tech was winning just 24-17.

Rhode Island is a 1-5 FCS team.

How did Miami lose to Virginia Tech, at Hard Rock Stadium?

giphy (1).gif

Advertisement
The year Ohio State won the championship they lost to Virginia Tech. VT lost to an FCS school that year.

This is what college football is. Besides we should have knew Bud Foster was gonna bring it for his last game vs Miami

Advertisement
VT was incredibly embarrassed, at home, the previous week against Duke.

They also were gifted 4 turnovers on Miami's first 4 possessions.

That's how it happened. Miami outplayed VT for the game pretty significantly. But when you turn it over 5 times, force 0, and allow a team to score 6 times in 6 red zone trips, you lose.

Advertisement
I think the answer is that the Miami Hurricanes have a bad coach.

Does anybody else have another explanation?

Yes, many other explanations. They involve a rational look at both teams' performances over the course of the season as well as quantification of the extreme in-game luck during the Miami-VT game. We could also look at the College Team Talent Composite, and make an effort to adjust that for team experience.

However, that is all probably more sophisticated than what you are looking for, as it would ultimately suggest that you put down your pitchfork. So it's best that you carry on with the simplistic explanation that allows you to remain angry.

VT was incredibly embarrassed, at home, the previous week against Duke.

They also were gifted 4 turnovers on Miami's first 4 possessions.

That's how it happened. Miami outplayed VT for the game pretty significantly. But when you turn it over 5 times, force 0, and allow a team to score 6 times in 6 red zone trips, you lose.

They also mostly dominated that Rhode Island game. I have no idea how they didn't win by more, or at least why it took so long to put Rhode Island away.

485-310 in yards, 7.1 vs. 4.9 in yard per play, 31 vs 29 in TOP, +200 rushing yards. None of the usual things that can swing dominant performances seemed to have happened, either: 5-15 (Rhode Island) vs. 6-10 (VT) on third downs, no turnovers for either team, no big returns, no missed kicks, punting was similar. Rhode Island did convert a couple of 4th downs, maybe that kept some key drives alive. It's also possible the penalties happened at inopportune times.

But with those numbers I would've expected a comfortable lead for VT in the 4th. I guess they did lead 17-3 early, and ended up winning by 17, so maybe it was just the natural ebb and flow of a football game.

Advertisement
Again I ask, which program is currently in better shape:

Miami (Fla.) or Virginia Tech

We aren't a good team. Talented, absolutely, but a good team we are not. They're not a good team either. Put those two together and the answers should be right there in front of you

Advertisement
Back