2019 Summer Ball

Lala is a temp for Orleans

If that means he only plays a few weeks, I am good with that. He needs to concentrate on strength and conditioning in the off-season IMO. He's not going to lose his eye-hand coordination or baseball IQ by taking some time off.

Advertisement
Moore and Quinones will play in the Valley League for Staunton and Woodstock respectively. That’s at least three of the last four years with a player in Staunton.

I would really love to know where the narrative that Zamora is a great defensive player comes from. He could be one, but he hasn’t shown much evidence that he is yet.

He's the worst defensive SS I have ever seen.

Would like to see more Miami guys in the Coastal Plain League. Being based in the south it would be nice to see home Canes here. One of the more underrated leagues.

Advertisement
Would like to see more Miami guys in the Coastal Plain League. Being based in the south it would be nice to see home Canes here. One of the more underrated leagues.

Agreed. I catch some games in Morehead and Wilson when I'm up visiting family, and it's a nice league up there. Would love to see some Canes in it.

Advertisement
Does anyone actually go to the Cape league games? Do they even have real ballparks? Other than a random high school field? Or are they just well known because of their talent, scouts, etc. Some Coastal Plain League teams draw 4,000+ per game. I’ve heard Alaska can also draw well.

Does anyone actually go to the Cape league games? Do they even have real ballparks? Other than a random high school field? Or are they just well known because of their talent, scouts, etc. Some Coastal Plain League teams draw 4,000+ per game. I’ve heard Alaska can also draw well.
Never been here have you? The Cape population quadruples in the summer. In some towns, it's the biggest draw on a weekday night. Truth be told, every night there are more people there than at a UM home game Maybe it is true everywhere now,but it is a wooden bat league where pitching dominates..

Never been here have you? The Cape population quadruples in the summer. In some towns, it's the biggest draw on a weekday night. Truth be told, every night there are more people there than at a UM home game Maybe it is true everywhere now,but it is a wooden bat league where pitching dominates..
I haven’t been there but would like to, especially to see many of our players this summer. Sounds like a good atmosphere.

Advertisement
Does anyone actually go to the Cape league games? Do they even have real ballparks? Other than a random high school field? Or are they just well known because of their talent, scouts, etc.

I've been advised that as a true baseball fan, I should make a trip to the Cape before I die. The atmosphere is that good.

Over 30 % of the players in the Majors played on the Cape. I am wondering if there is an alumnus in Chatham. Braun played there too.Players stay with families and usually work second jobs or the baseball camps. I sold real estate with a guy who housed players for years. He had Chris Sale for two years and said he was proud to have him throw up on his front yard. Most of the teams used to have names similar to the Big Leagues, like the Chatham Mets, but MLB cracked down on that. The only one that remains is Dennis Yarmouth (DY) Red Sox.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cape Cod League
It's been a rough start for Lala. He's 1 for 12 (.083) with 5K/1BB. I got a chance to see a few of his at bats earlier this week on the Orleans web stream, and he still looks tired at the plate. We'll see if he turns things around in the next couple weeks and earns a full summer contract, but as BPJoe said I don't think coming home and focusing on conditioning would be the worst thing in the world for him.

Gil is 2 for 9 (.222) with 3K/1BB. The earlier mentioned solo homerun is his lone RBI thus far.

Vilar and Federman have been added to the active roster for Chatham, as have Del and Gates for Wareham. None have played yet, but we should see them soon. No sign yet of Zamora, Toral, and Cecconi.

Northwoods League
Rivera is currently 4 for 17(.235) with 1 HR and 4 RBI for Kalamazoo (I swear I'm going to learn how to spell that without checking by the end of the summer). He has 3K/1BB and a stolen base.

No sign of Jenkins yet for Waterloo. That's not necessarily a surprise given his late season injuries.

Alaska Baseball League
Cook started for Anchorage on Tuesday night. He went four innings allowing just a single run (unearned) and hit. He walked three versus one strikeout. Interesting that they have him starting.

Cloonan is no longer listed on the roster.

Valley League
Chet Moore(!) is leading Staunton in batting in the early going. He is currently 6 for 11 (.545) with a pair of runs scored and stolen bases. The lone blemish on his stat line at the moment is 3K/1BB.

Quinones is off to a less stellar start at 1 for 6 (.167) in his first three games. He has 3K/2BB.

Chet Moore is posting by far the best numbers in summer league ball. Go figure. Albeit in a weaker league.

Cape Cod League
It's been a rough start for Lala. He's 1 for 12 (.083) with 5K/1BB. I got a chance to see a few of his at bats earlier this week on the Orleans web stream, and he still looks tired at the plate. We'll see if he turns things around in the next couple weeks and earns a full summer contract, but as BPJoe said I don't think coming home and focusing on conditioning would be the worst thing in the world for him.

Gil is 2 for 9 (.222) with 3K/1BB. The earlier mentioned solo homerun is his lone RBI thus far.

Vilar and Federman have been added to the active roster for Chatham, as have Del and Gates for Wareham. None have played yet, but we should see them soon. No sign yet of Zamora, Toral, and Cecconi.

Northwoods League
Rivera is currently 4 for 17(.235) with 1 HR and 4 RBI for Kalamazoo (I swear I'm going to learn how to spell that without checking by the end of the summer). He has 3K/1BB and a stolen base.

No sign of Jenkins yet for Waterloo. That's not necessarily a surprise given his late season injuries.

Alaska Baseball League
Cook started for Anchorage on Tuesday night. He went four innings allowing just a single run (unearned) and hit. He walked three versus one strikeout. Interesting that they have him starting.

Cloonan is no longer listed on the roster.

Valley League
Chet Moore(!) is leading Staunton in batting in the early going. He is currently 6 for 11 (.545) with a pair of runs scored and stolen bases. The lone blemish on his stat line at the moment is 3K/1BB.

Quinones is off to a less stellar start at 1 for 6 (.167) in his first three games. He has 3K/2BB.

Thanks for the updates. What's the story on Cloonan - does he have a future w this team? The kid has shown some real potential at times, but he seems to remain in the background. Maybe I just missed the updates on the nature of his injury/status.

Thanks for the updates. What's the story on Cloonan - does he have a future w this team? The kid has shown some real potential at times, but he seems to remain in the background. Maybe I just missed the updates on the nature of his injury/status.
He hurt his wrist/hand in late March, but was supposedly close to being healthy in early May. Hopefully the roster will be updated with the returning players soon like it was around this time last year.

Advertisement
Back