2019 Summer Ball

It's bizarre how Cook is so good in the Summer, and then struggles to get guys out here. He was probably the best pitcher in the Valley League last summer and it's not the Cape but the Alaska League has solid competition too
At least in the context of this summer as I starter, I can’t help but think about his outing against UNC where he went out in middle relief to eat innings. He seemed to get better with each inning he pitched in that appearance.

Advertisement
At least in the context of this summer as I starter, I can’t help but think about his outing against UNC where he went out in middle relief to eat innings. He seemed to get better with each inning he pitched in that appearance.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don’t believe they used Cook in the way he needs to be used. IMO he’s not a situational guy. You use him in long relief or you start him. There’s a lot to his game that he hasn’t been able to show at Miami and it will definitely be interesting to see how our staff is sorted out. I hope Cook gets a fair shake at being our midweek guy along with the freshman.

McMahon pitched Wednesday against Japan. He threw three innings allowing two runs on a hit and four walks. He struck out five batters.

Advertisement
Federman with a scoreless effort in his team’s CCBL playoff loss

Apparently Federman has been developing a curveball this summer

Cape Cod League Wrap Up
Lala played his last game on July 4. His final few summer games were an improvement, finishing the summer 9 for 41 (.220) with 12K/3BB and 3 RBI in 14 games played.

Gil had just three hits in his last 10 games (final game 7/14). He finished 14 for 66 (.210) with 3 HR and 10 RBI. He had 23K/13BB. It wasn’t great but it was an improvement on his time on the Cape last year. The K% remains too high.

Del Castillo unsurprisingly had the best summer of our Cape hitters. He went 41 for 150 (.270) with 5 HR and 24 RBI in 40 games. He struck out 37 times which seems a little high for him, but he was also striking out more towards the end of the spring. He walked just nine times.

Gates was the most pleasant surprise of the summer. He went 0-2 with a 2.86 ERA in 22 IP. The big number for him given his spring control issues was his 20K/4BB ratio. Hopefully this is a sign we’ll be seeing the Gates we expected this spring. It would certainly go a long way towards shoring up the bullpen.

After a decent start, Vilar went ice cold with just three hits in his last 17 games. Overall, he went 11 for 64 (.172) with a HR and 7 RBI. He had 22K/5BB. As we discussed with Lala late in the season, this may have been a case of freshman wearing down.

Toral was another one that had a rough summer. He finished 19 for 101 (.188) with just 2 HR in 36 games. He drove in 17 runs and had 28K/14BB.

Federman made 7 appearances (5 starts) going 1-3 with a 4.80 ERA. He had 28K/7BB. Most of his appearances look decent, but as during the spring there are a couple where it looks like he just didn’t have it. He finished with 1.000 OBP at the plate, walking in his lone plate appearance.

Advertisement
Back