2019 Roster Discussion

Gino has got to be licking his chops with the ammount of pure competition he can put these guys through this offseason. If handled right there is no way the cream doesn't rise to the top. Would give my left arm to manage this roster

Advertisement
Gino has got to be licking his chops with the ammount of pure competition he can put these guys through this offseason. If handled right there is no way the cream doesn't rise to the top. Would give my left arm to manage this roster

I hope you are right, but a lot of us thought that about '17's squad and the '17 offense, save a couple of the incoming freshmen, was a major disappointment.

Gino's most important near-term decision may be who he hires as his hitting coach.

I think the 17 squad was exposed when the thumpers left (Collins, Abreau, even Lopez .300 avg). Thats what scares me the most about the upcoming year. If the power isnt there we cannot scare opposing pitchers. Weights, Weights, and more Weights have got to happen

I think the 17 squad was exposed when the thumpers left (Collins, Abreau, even Lopez .300 avg). Thats what scares me the most about the upcoming year. If the power isnt there we cannot scare opposing pitchers. Weights, Weights, and more Weights have got to happen

We will hit for more average and power next season, we had a lot of youth in the lineup this year and it showed. The game will slow down next season for most of them.

Reyes and Del Castillo (15 homeruns last season is absurd) should produce most of the power (fingers crossed on Toral).

Advertisement
You're assuming that nobody that's returning next year is paying their way?

I believe McKendry comes from a wealthy family so that might be one. There are usually a few.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm not you.

I'm wondering if the draft going in our favor is going to leave us with more promised money than we have to give. Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

Who thought that about the 2017 squad? You?

Obviously me, and a lot of the comments I recall on this board and elsewhere about the potential of Toral, Romy coming off a solid sophomore season, Reyes, hope for Hackett returning to JC form, Amditis coming back at full strength, Burns improving on his junior year, etc. What am I missing?

Are you honestly going to act like '17's offensive performance is what you expected?

Advertisement
That's cute but based on your math you were assuming that every returning player wasn't paying their way.

It had nothing to do with returning players. It has to do with having 37-38 players, which includes a lot of new recruits. The question still stands, but you're too ****ed off to actually talk about it.

Obviously me, and a lot of the comments I recall on this board and elsewhere about the potential of Toral, Romy coming off a solid sophomore season, Reyes, hope for Hackett returning to JC form, Amditis coming back at full strength, Burns improving on his junior year, etc. What am I missing?

Are you honestly going to act like '17's offensive performance is what you expected?

2017, yes.

Do you know what year it is?

It had nothing to do with returning players. It has to do with having 37-38 players, which includes a lot of new recruits. The question still stands, but you're too ****ed off to actually talk about it.

Maybe you need to go back and look at your math because all you did was take his list of returning players and new recruits and assume that none of them would pay their own way.

The limit on guys who can get money is 27, so are there eight guys on this list who expect to pay their own tab?

Maybe you need to go back and look at your math because all you did was take his list of returning players and new recruits and assume that none of them would pay their own way.

That would be an impossible assumption, because I know that his list has more than 27 players on it. You still don’t get the question.

Advertisement
That would be an impossible assumption, because I know that his list has more than 27 players on it. You still don’t get the question.

15 + 22 = 37

He also mentioned another possible 4 that could come back.

15 + 22 + 4 + = 41

If only 27 can get parts of a scholarship then how does your math make any sense? How does 37 (or 38) minus 8 equal 27?

Nothing that you sad regarding numbers adds up.

15 + 22 = 37

He also mentioned another possible 4 that could come back.

15 + 22 + 4 + = 41

If only 27 can get parts of a scholarship then how does your math make any sense? How does 37 (or 38) minus 8 equal 27?

Nothing that you sad regarding numbers adds up.

The max roster size is 35. Now I see where you got lost.

So whether the number is 37, 38, or 41, we have to find eight guys who will pay their own way while telling the other 2, 3, or 6 that they don’t have a spot here. Do you understand now?

So, the question remains. Have we promised money to more than 27 kids, considering that we thought we would be hurt by the draft and we now could have as many as 41 showing up. How many kids are enrolling and expecting their 25%?

Advertisement
So whether the number is 37, 38, or 41, we have to find eight guys who will pay their own way while telling the other 2, 3, or 6 that they don’t have a spot here. Do you understand now?

How?

How does subtracting 8 from 37, 38 or 41 give you 35 or even 27?

How?

How does subtracting 8 from 37, 38 or 41 give you 35 or even 27?

Good god. How is this confusing to you?

We can only give scholarship money to 27 people. We can only have 35 on the roster. It doesn’t matter how many we start with. 37, 38, or 41....doesn’t matter. At the beginning of school, 27 of those kids will be on scholarship, while another eight (8) can be on the roster while paying their own way.

So, back to the original question. In that huge recruiting class that didn’t get decimated by the draft, are there kids who think they’re getting 25% who will be told that they’re one of the eight (8) who have to pay their own way?

Because your math was wrong.

Stop blaming other people for not be able to read your mind.

My math wasn’t wrong then and isn’t wrong now. Eight is a significant number for every D-1 program because that’s how many non-scholarship guys you can have on the roster. We’re bringing in a huge class to add to a huge returning roster. It is an important issue.

And you still have no idea how to address the actual question. You’re too busy arguing about nothing.

Advertisement
Back