2019 Roster Discussion

with all of our good luck yesterday im getting overly optimistic about today. How much does Johnny Ruiz's decision to stay effect these guys?? Bartow, Romy, and Cabezas had a front row seat to what can happen if you come back for your senior year

But Johnny Ruiz stayed after having a big year while being supported by high draft picks (Collins, Abreu).

None of the guys this year were particularly great and should have a better supporting cast to return to next season.

Advertisement
Next year's roster as of today. Could be some JUCOs added, or ones we just don't know about yet (Reyes last year). Right now we're realistically at 37 or 38 depending on Reyes. I believe we've started the last two falls around 37, so nobody necessarily needs to leave at the moment without knowing the 11.7 situation although at least one or two likely will (I've put an asterisk next to the most likely candidates not to be here in the fall).

Incoming (15)
Slade Cecconi
Cal Conley
Adrian Del Castillo
Jonathan Gates
Jordan Lala
Bailey Mantilla
Tristan McDonough
Michael Montes De Oca
Chet Moore
Austin Pollak
Luis Tuero
Henry Anthony Vilar
Ryan Wimbush
Brian Van Belle*
Tyler Keysor

Remaining (22)
Greg Veliz
Chris McMahon
Willy Escala
Tyler Paige*
Evan McKendry
Freddy Zamora
Albert Maury
Michael Amditis
Daniel Epstein*
Raymond Gil
Alex Toral
Isaac Quinones
Alex Ruiz
Daniel Rivero
Jeremy Cook
Kam Lane*
Connor Allen*
Gabe Rivera
Dylan Cloonan
Joe Sparber*
Tony Jenkins
Daniel Federman

Do they return? (4)
Frankie Bartow (Almost Certainly Not)
Andrew Cabezas (Very Likely Not)
Romy Gonzalez (Very Likely Not)
Danny Reyes (Maybe-Gut says no, but?)

What was the story on Connor Allen this year? Just not ready for primetime? We always seem to have such a small team. I was hoping he would come in and hit a bit.

What was the story on Connor Allen this year? Just not ready for primetime? We always seem to have such a small team. I was hoping he would come in and hit a bit.
He actually got off to a good start in the fall. I think he hit a homerun the first day of practice, but tailed off as the fall went on. He got the one start in the ACC opener and struck out four times. All things being equal scholarship and roster spot wise, I'd like to see him stay and get another shot at it because I do think he has talent. Doesn't seem likely though. He wasn't on the travel roster in the back of half of the season.

The roster limit set by the NCAA is 35 players (with 27 on scholarship as the max at a minimum of 25%). We will definitely see attrition from the roster, and quite likely see several leave.

It would not surprise me if we added another left-handed bat and another right-handed pitcher from the Juco ranks.

Advertisement
Next year's roster as of today. Could be some JUCOs added, or ones we just don't know about yet (Reyes last year). Right now we're realistically at 37 or 38 depending on Reyes. I believe we've started the last two falls around 37, so nobody necessarily needs to leave at the moment without knowing the 11.7 situation although at least one or two likely will (I've put an asterisk next to the most likely candidates not to be here in the fall).

Incoming (15)
Slade Cecconi
Cal Conley
Adrian Del Castillo
Jonathan Gates
Jordan Lala
Bailey Mantilla
Tristan McDonough
Michael Montes De Oca
Chet Moore
Austin Pollak
Luis Tuero
Henry Anthony Vilar
Ryan Wimbush
Brian Van Belle*
Tyler Keysor

Remaining (22)
Greg Veliz
Chris McMahon
Willy Escala
Tyler Paige*
Evan McKendry
Freddy Zamora
Albert Maury
Michael Amditis
Daniel Epstein*
Raymond Gil
Alex Toral
Isaac Quinones
Alex Ruiz
Daniel Rivero
Jeremy Cook
Kam Lane*
Connor Allen*
Gabe Rivera
Dylan Cloonan
Joe Sparber*
Tony Jenkins
Daniel Federman

Do they return? (4)
Frankie Bartow (Almost Certainly Not)
Andrew Cabezas (Very Likely Not)
Romy Gonzalez (Very Likely Not)
Danny Reyes (Maybe-Gut says no, but?)

The limit on guys who can get money is 27, so are there eight guys on this list who expect to pay their own tab?

The roster limit set by the NCAA is 35 players (with 27 on scholarship as the max at a minimum of 25%). We will definitely see attrition from the roster, and quite likely see several leave.

It would not surprise me if we added another left-handed bat and another right-handed pitcher from the Juco ranks.

I believe we also self impose a limit of 33 or 34 (I think 33 but I’m not 100% sure) for Title IX purposes. We seem to start fall practice around 37 (digging into this forum’s archives turns up 38 for 2017 and 36 plus Tyler Paige this past season) before whittling it down.

Edit:Found an ancient article from when we began the practice of capping walk-ons in baseball. Can’t recall more than 33 or 34 when the season starts in February whether we still formally do this or not.
University of Miami (FL) Drops Men's Swimming and Diving, Men's Crew - Swimming World News

Last edited:
I believe we also self impose a limit of 33 or 34 (I think 33 but I’m not 100% sure) for Title IX purposes. We seem to start fall practice around 37 (digging into this forum’s archives turns up 38 for 2017 and 36 plus Tyler Paige this past season) before whittling it down.

Edit:Found an ancient article from when we began the practice of capping walk-ons in baseball. Can’t recall more than 33 or 34 when the season starts in February whether we still formally do this or not.
University of Miami (FL) Drops Men's Swimming and Diving, Men's Crew - Swimming World News

A lot of schools do this for two reasons: Title IX (as you cited) and because they don't fully fund college baseball. Miami doesn't have the second problem. The important number is 27, anyway. As in, you can have up to 27 players on scholarship (25% minimum). The other guys are generally players who are good enough to help the team in practice etc. with occasionally some working their way into more prominent roles.

More players are going to leave the team than is generally being expected on this forum. My guess is a couple of freshmen who played some this year leave for Juco and a more established role. I'm not speculating on who, because I do not know who exactly, but that has always been my expectation. It could even be some players who we do not want to leave.

He looks a little goofy. Pretty telling that he couldn't overtake Toral.

Advertisement
Zamora should kick over to 3B imo.

1B Gil
2B Escala
SS ?
3B Zamora

Zamora should kick over to 3B imo.

1B Gil
2B Escala
SS ?
3B Zamora

I could see that as it looks like we recruited several SS's in this class, and Zamora needs work on quickening his release. That's less of an issue at 3B.

Advertisement

As I acknowledged in the original post, this was an exercise done without knowing the scholarship situation (You and Lance are correct that shorthanding scholarship to 11.7 was imprecise). The roster the last two falls has had between 36 and 38 players. It’s not unreasonable to think that will be the case again this fall. It’s possible that 8 of the guys beyond 27 are on the current list. Lance makes a good (likely ultimately correct) case that the attrition will be higher. If everything goes smoothly with getting Del Castillo enrolled, catcher seems like a prime spot for one piece of that additional attrition.

Last edited:
I'm sure a few of those guys are on academic money and/or paying their way

Well, that goes without saying since you can't have more than 27 on scholarship. I'm wondering if any new kids know that they are paying their own way or if they will be told this now that the draft went in our favor.

Well, that goes without saying since you can't have more than 27 on scholarship. I'm wondering if any new kids know that they are paying their own way or if they will be told this now that the draft went in our favor.

Yeah, baseball scholarships are year to year so unfortunately some guys will likely be losing scholarship $$$ for the incoming guys.

Advertisement
As I acknowledged in the original post, this was an exercise done without knowing the scholarship situation (You and Lance are correct that shorthanding scholarship to 11.7 was imprecise). The roster the last two falls has had between 36 and 38 players. It’s not unreasonable to think that will be the case again this fall. It’s possible that 8 of the guys beyond 27 are on the current list. Lance makes a good (likely ultimately correct) case that the attrition will be higher. If everything goes smoothly with getting Del Castillo enrolled, catcher seems like a prime spot for one piece of that additional attrition.
I mean...if Del Castillo doesn't sign and comes to UM, Amditis has to be on the next thing smoking out of town...right? I think Quinones has earned the right to be one of the 2-3 catchers we keep on the roster. He'll have to fend off Del Castillo to keep the starting spot.

And if that is the case...I hate it for Amditis. He came in with some high expectations, and that leg injury his Freshman year set him back so far he never could get back to good.

Maybe teach Amditis to play 1B?
*shrug*...maybe. The only way that works is if we do the IF as such:

1B - Amditis
2B - Escala
SS - Zamora
3B - Gil

And IMO...Gil looked better at 1B than 3B this year. Also - this assumes that one of the 5 infielders we have coming in this recruiting class doesn't pop up and take a job somewhere in the IF...and that either or both Paige/Allen don't cut the mustard and go elsewhere.

I dunno - it's an idea. No idea if Amditis would be open to it or not - and I'm not sure his bat is worth it. He's gonna have to show some improvement at the plate to stick around.

I saw some projections that talked about del castillo's D behind the plate that he was a candidate to go to LF

Advertisement
Back