2019 recruiting

My concern is about numbers not ranking. Look at the numbers and the actual issues we had surrounding said issue. Did you read my post?
You’re using hindsight as logic. Using up all of your scholarships and taking fliers on kids who have no business playing in the ACC gets you a bunch of Anthony Mack’s at the end of your rotation.

Advertisement
Calling our big situation "lean" is a severe understatement. The shlt looks tragic right now.

Gak is an undersized PF coming off a season-ending injury
Waardenburg is barely a big--he's a PF because he's tall. He's useless in the paint
Miller-HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
Walker is a true freshman who doesn't look physically ready for college basketball

We need other high school big as well as a grad transfer that can play next year, IMO.
UVA barely played their “bigs” in the final four and won the national title. We need size and length, not a back to the basket big. A guy like Gak should be a blueprint.

You’re using hindsight as logic. Using up all of your scholarships and taking fliers on kids who have no business playing in the ACC gets you a bunch of Anthony Mack’s at the end of your rotation.

No. Logic says use your scholarships because the followings things are common in basketball:

1. Injuries,
2. Kids being thrown out of school, and
3. Kids leaving because they want to play elsewhere.

Since there are things you can’t control, use the scholarships.

When you don’t use your scholarships for numerous seasons it may lead to things like inferior depth and inadequate numbers. Then throw in the 3 things above and you have a great season.

This isn’t hindsight, it is logic and common sense.

No. Logic says use your scholarships because the followings things are common in basketball:

1. Injuries,
2. Kids being thrown out of school, and
3. Kids leaving because they want to play elsewhere.

Since there are things you can’t control, use the scholarships.

When you don’t use your scholarships for numerous seasons it may lead to things like inferior depth and inadequate numbers. Then throw in the 3 things above and you have a great season.

This isn’t hindsight, it is logic and common sense.
Again, you are using the perfect storm of **** to justify your logic. Did we have depth issues any other year besides this past one?

Again, you are using the perfect storm of **** to justify your logic. Did we have depth issues any other year besides this past one?

A few things:

1. A has nothing to do with B. You don’t need to have experience to know that injuries, kids being thrown out of school and kids transferring happen all the time. In post 45, I went through all of this (see below).

I also left out a key thing. It is common for kids to redshirt and/or sit out because they’re ineligible (e.g. transfers coming in see McGusty this year). All of these are common.

2. [Sarcasm Warning] As for experience, because that is the only way to know something could happen, since Coach L has been here, the following players have transferred out/left or been booted:

- Gilmore
- Palmer
- Lecomte
- Sherman
- Daniels
- Burnett
- J. Kelly
- Muhammad
- Wilson

That is more than ~1.125 ships gone per season. It should be expected, not just at Miami, that kids are going to leave before/during the season.

[Please note that when you add Mack, the number increases to 1.25 ships gone per season.]

3. As for more experience, how about 2017-18 (the prior season)?

Look at last season (2017-18), the following happened:

A. Redshirt #1: Gak
B. Redshirt #2: Wilson (due to transfer)
C. Serious Injury: Brown

A and B happened before the season started and we all know C happens too.

So before we played any games in 2017-18, we had 10 players “active”. Then Brown went down and we had 9.

4. The goal is to mitigate risk (the unknown) and filling the class is a way to do that. I don’t understand why this is controversial either. It is common sense.

Advertisement
Just my 2 cent

2016 article

Larrañaga, meanwhile, recently noted his team will take the floor this season with 10 scholarship players, while most of their opponents will have 13. Both coaches have said that for them, getting those scholarships back will be essential as they continue trying to move their programs forward.

"The date of when the probation ends, we have given no thought to," Larrañaga said. "But being on probation and being investigated since the day I arrived, that's more than five years we've dealt with it. It has had a major impact. Now that it's over with, I can see the difference in our recruiting."
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-um-probation-1023-20161022-story.html

Right after the FBI investigation hit,

adding a player just for the sake (Alas Anthony Mack) is just not smart
Why? You'll still need to stay in complains with

Teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 930 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

Example: A Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team awards the full complement of 85 grants-in-aid. If 80 student-athletes remain in school and academically eligible, three remain in school but are academically ineligible and two drop out academically ineligible, the team earns 163 of 170 possible points for that term. Divide 163 by 170 and multiply by 1,000 to determine that the team’s Academic Progress Rate for that term is 959.[8]
The NCAA calculates the rate as a rolling, four-year figure that takes into account all the points student-athletes could earn for remaining in school and academically eligible during that period. Teams that do not earn an Academic Progress Rate above specific benchmarks face penalties ranging from scholarship reductions to more severe sanctions like restrictions on scholarships and practice time.

Let's get back to the title of this thread. Harlond Beverly has committed and Tristan Enaruna visits on April 24th. Things are looking a lot better in Coral Gables for the basketball team.

13 scholarship players is the goal.

Advertisement
https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Harlond-Beverly-is-headed-to-the-ACC-131222586/

One of the best remaining players in the class of 2019 has come off the board on Monday. Following an official visit to Georgia, Harlond Beverly has decided to end his recruitment, and he will commit to the Miami Hurricanes.

Beverly, who is a native of Detroit, had a tremendous senior season at Montverde Academy in Florida. That comfort with the state combined with the job that the Hurricanes did recruiting him, led Beverly to making the decision in favor of Miami.

About his decision to pick the Hurricanes, Beverly told 247Sports, "Coach (Jim) Larranaga is an all-time great coach. He has a great track record of developing guards of my stature. Also, after I visited it just felt like some, so I felt Miami was the best place for me."

At 6-foot-4 with high level athleticism, Beverly has long been one of the better combo guards in the class, however his game went to a new level at Montverde. Beverely shot the ball better, was more active on defense, and generally looked much improved and confident in his game.

That senior season led to new offers, but ultimately it was the comfort with Miami that won out.

Currently Beverly is ranked as the No. 82 player in the class of 2019 according to the 247Sports Composite Ranking, and that could go up once rankings are finalized with the all-star games set to come to an end soon.

Beverly had offers from schools such as Baylor, Xavier, Indiana, Georgia, Alabama, Kansas and others, but the Hurricanes made him a priority during the season, and the chance at early playing time played a huge role in Beverly picking the ACC school.

This is the third commitment for Miami in the class. Beverly joins fellow four-star prospect Isaiah Wong, and three-star power forward Anthony Walker. With the addition of Beverly, this moves Miami into the No. 25 spot in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings, just ahead of fellow ACC school, Syracuse.

Landing a top 25 class shows that Miami is back on the recruiting trail after suffering a down year due to instability in the 2018 recruiting cycle. This was a very big need for the Hurricanes, and by securing two quality guards and a versatile forward, they were able to accomplish their big goals in this class.

Beverly making his decision should help the roster get back to where Jim Larranaga and his staff want, and help the Hurricanes again be competitive in the ACC. Overall this was big news and a major recruiting win for Miami, as they worked hard to land one of their top targets, and one of the most dynamic guards in the entire country.

Miami will continue to try and add to his class going forward either via transfer or other high school recruits.

https://miami.rivals.com/news/point-guard-beverly-commits-to-miami

https://caneswarning.com/2019/04/15...rricanes-recruiting-class-to-25th-nationally/

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals150-guard-harlond-beverly-commits-to-miami

Miami picked up its most important pledge from the 2019 class on Monday in the form of four-star senior Harlond Beverly. A do-it-all guard that broke out this winter with the Montverde Academy program, Beverly brings plenty of intangibles and upside to the ACC program.

Beverly discussed his commitment with Rivals.com. “Coach L (Jim Larranaga) is a legendary coach and I have the utmost trust in him and that he will push me to be as good as I can be,” he said. “I loved the school when I visited and can’t wait to get to work.”

One of the top remaining prospects available this spring, Beverly saw his recruitment expand by the week this winter. Playing alongside a bevy of talented and heavily recruited prospects at Montverde Academy, Beverly stood out with his ability to check all of the boxes and the energy that he brought to the floor on a consistent manner.

A 6-foot-4 guard that can play many spots on the perimeter, Beverly chose the Canes over Baylor, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, and Xavier. Miami, in need of filling a few more holes in the perimeter, should look to the Michigan native early next season thanks to his translatable skillset and ability to make shots.

The third commitment in the 2019 class for Miami, Beverly will sign in the coming days for the program. He will be joined next fall by fellow Rivals150 members Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how anyone can free the staff of at least some of the blame for last season. Say what you want about the Huell, Wilson and FBI situations. The coaching staff was going into this time last year with 3 available scholarships and content to be only going after Zach Johnson as a grad transfer. This staff even after losing out on Little, etc were happy with what was already on the roster and leaving 2 spots open. You can’t question the facts. 2 unfortunate incidents turned their season into a disaster.

Michigan State lost arguably their best player and made it to the final four without him. Coach L gambled that he could get through the season with 11 scholarship players and it backfired. At the very least fill those schollies with a guy like Joe Thomas from a few years back.

Advertisement
I don’t understand how anyone can free the staff of at least some of the blame for last season. Say what you want about the Huell, Wilson and FBI situations. The coaching staff was going into this time last year with 3 available scholarships and content to be only going after Zach Johnson as a grad transfer. This staff even after losing out on Little, etc were happy with what was already on the roster and leaving 2 spots open. You can’t question the facts. 2 unfortunate incidents turned their season into a disaster.

Michigan State lost arguably their best player and made it to the final four without him. Coach L gambled that he could get through the season with 11 scholarship players and it backfired. At the very least fill those schollies with a guy like Joe Thomas from a few years back.

Not sure I agree with this statement. I remember coach L back in October saying they needed A LOT of help. Maybe your point is that last October was much too late.

Three major and unforeseeable losses turned the season upside down.

Wilson was a projected major contributor.

Huell was the expected star.

And Gak was the expected front court depth.

All that on the heels of a recruiting disaster caused by the stain of a bogus FBI investigation.

So, yeah. Coach L absolutely deserves a pass.

Three major and unforeseeable losses turned the season upside down.

Wilson was a projected major contributor.

Huell was the expected star.

And Gak was the expected front court depth.

All that on the heels of a recruiting disaster caused by the stain of a bogus FBI investigation.

So, yeah. Coach L absolutely deserves a pass.

I agree those 3 losses were huge.

He went into transfer season, this time last year with 3 open scholarships, he finished it up with 2 open scholarships. He could have very easily filled those last 2 scholarships with a dannavan Kirk or Joe Thomas like transfer. 2 decent bodies even though they weren’t top flight acc level players would have done wonders for this team.

Advertisement
I agree those 3 losses were huge.

He went into transfer season, this time last year with 3 open scholarships, he finished it up with 2 open scholarships. He could have very easily filled those last 2 scholarships with a dannavan Kirk or Joe Thomas like transfer. 2 decent bodies even though they weren’t top flight acc level players would have done wonders for this team.

Lots of people forget about the issue of minutes.

Let's say we have to play Miller. I'm not saying he is going to go for 20-10. I'm not saying he will change the entire game around. But if he can give 10 minutes and 5 fouls and let another big man rest, that may be all we need.

Playing 7-8 guys every game wore everyone out. Yeah, some of our 12th and 13th scholarship guys may not be stars, but we can't put all the minutes on 7 guys.

Exactly, it sounds like we agree on this. This team was easily a NIT team with 2 added dannavan kirk’s or Joe thomas’ I wouldn’t have thought it would have been a stretch to think we could have snuck in the tournament. Like you said we had maybe 8-10 games where this team just wore down the final 8-10 minutes of the game plus all the games where they looked tired from the start.

Exactly, it sounds like we agree on this. This team was easily a NIT team with 2 added dannavan kirk’s or Joe thomas’ I wouldn’t have thought it would have been a stretch to think we could have snuck in the tournament. Like you said we had maybe 8-10 games where this team just wore down the final 8-10 minutes of the game plus all the games where they looked tired from the start.

Cool, an NIT team, with an outside shot at a first 4 birth. What a year!

Or...if the FBI thing doesn't happen, we end up with a class like the one we have now (or the 2 classes we had before last year), and we are a clear-cut tournament team - like we'd been 3 years running.

The FBI accounts for something like 80%-90% of what happened last year, and poor roster management maybe 10%-20%. Yet there's vastly more talk about the roster management on these forums.

You guys are like the accountant who is tasked to turn around a business, and instead of focusing on growing the company's sales, you look for a 2% cost savings on office supplies.

Cool, an NIT team, with an outside shot at a first 4 birth. What a year!

Or...if the FBI thing doesn't happen, we end up with a class like the one we have now (or the 2 classes we had before last year), and we are a clear-cut tournament team - like we'd been 3 years running.

The FBI accounts for something like 80%-90% of what happened last year, and poor roster management maybe 10%-20%. Yet there's vastly more talk about the roster management on these forums.

You guys are like the accountant who is tasked to turn around a business, and instead of focusing on growing the company's sales, you look for a 2% cost savings on office supplies.

WTF are you talking about? Coach L had no control of what the NCAA or FBI does regarding his program, he has total control of who he targets and if he will target more recruits to fill scholarships.

The ******* NCAA and FBI ****ed us last year, so what...does that mean you just lie down and cry and not do the best you can and salvage whatever season you could have had? No. We had every opportunity to salvage last year by adding a couple grad transfers, he chose not to. Texas Tech made the final with 2 grad transfers playing key roles.

You sound like a millennial who just graduated from an Ivy league school who believes it is his right to have a 6 figure a year job. But instead of working his way up to that level he'd rather blame the student debt he has and everyone else.

Advertisement
Back