2019 QB Peyton Matocha receives offer (Commits!)

Looks pretty darn good to me. IMO stars don't matter at all for QB's. These kids either have 'it' or they don't and you can't see that till they play in some games.

Advertisement
Looks like a player; a quick thinker. Has the athleticism to back it up. I'd take him over dimwit N'Kosi who has to think about chewing gum.

This is also a kid who can learn and be ready to compete for a starting job his redshirt junior season. We need to get back to building a rotation of kids who will wait, learn and be physically and mentally ready to start.

Advertisement
If Bohl wants he is definitely worth a take, especially given our current QB room setup.

Not high profile enough to scare anyone off, seems like a kid who doesn't expect to start right away, higher ceiling than anyone except maybe Kosi.

Kid has a good **** cannon for an arm. Curious how is intermediate passing skills are

See, that's the crazy thing about highlight videos.

I see the tape and come away completely unimpressed with arm strength.

Throws a lot of Jacory Harris-type lob passes.

I trust Enos though.

Advertisement

I trust Enos though.
No, you’re right. Definitely doesn’t have plus arm strength but he is not a Gray Crow recruit or anything like that.
Plus, you definitely can get away with average arm strength in college.

I trust Enos though.

Yeah, not sure what everyone else is seeing here. Average to below average arm strength, but elusive in the pocket with decent speed for a QB. My comparison would be the QB from Syracuse -- Dungey or whatever his name is.

We are obviously late to the game this cycle, so I'd take him for depth purposes. At least we're off the Scalzo talk.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's a late bloomer & didn start until his Senior year, normally QB's get offered by their Sophomore year & hit the camp circuit as Juniors where they get more national attention.

But in a state like Texas it's real easy for good QB's to go under then radar because the state produces so many high level QB's that you can literally find'em all over even this late in crootin' season.

People forget, Mahomes was not some slam dunk 5-star in HS, he was the 22nd ranked Pro-style QB in the 2014 class, 50th ranked player in the state of Texas & had an even lower ranking nationally.

Kyle Allen, Kellr Chryst, David Cornwell, Will Grier, Jerrod Heard (who got switched to WR), Sean White, DeShone Kizer & Miami's own Brad Kaaya were all ranked ahead of Mahomes coming out of HS.

NOT saying this kid is as good as Mahomes, just using that as an example of how deep the United States of America is when it comes to football players.

There, El ... FIFY!!

And yes, this is the kind of prospect that you could end up kicking yourself for not at least giving him a very, very, long look.

This kid 10,000x better with way more upside than Evan Shirreffs.

El:

I see what you're saying, but if you followed Evan closely while at UM, the biggest thing that jumps out at you is: "with all those smarts, leadership skills, and athleticism, what would his UM career have been like if he had been coached by a guy like Enos, as opposed to baby Richt?"

(just saying).

That being said, I agree with you, this Matocha kid looks like definitely a better prospect at the same age.

Shirreffs best offer other than Miami was the Ivy League and VMI. He had zero BCS offers. Yes, this kid has no Power 5 offers but he has 5 BCS offers. I don't know if he can play here, but as a first year starter he has a lot of athletic upside. Worth a serious look. We need a 2019 freshman quarterback in this class.
legendre literally has like 2 70 yd passes in his film. Not sure if you watch the film..arm strength isnt his issue

maybe not.

but it's also, BY FAR, the most overrated aspect of evaluating a QB ... ever.

(had a post on this under roman's write up on martell).

that being said, i think legendre is a very interesting prospect.

Advertisement
Back