2019 Defensive line Class

ST26

ST26
I say that we should get like 6 or 7 defensive line men in this 2019 class. I know that might sound like a lot but there are a tone of south Florida studs at D-line in the 2019 class. This is a definite positon of need. I would like Miami to take advantage of the amount of depth at this position in the 19 class. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
3 DE
3 DT
1 more DL depending on needs (i.e. a DE if we get a 2 year DT grad transfer lie Sterling Johnson

3-4 LBs (figure out who might go pro early here)

4 DBs

Advertisement
Advertisement
And that haul is actually realistic. Definitely not a pipe dream or anything. Which bodes well for us

Seems like the Standard Operating Procedure of this staff regarding recruiting is to load up at the position that has the most talent locally, and pick from other areas on a as per needed basis.
Based on the 2018 class they loaded up on receivers and DBs (I know it wasn't enough for you guys but 6 is a lot) and were light on DTs and LBs since it has been spoken about ad neasuem on this forum that within Florida and even nationally those positions were a little thin.

As mentioned, I expect them based on the upcoming talent within the 2019 class to load up on DL and LBs, then you redshirt the lesser talented players and now it gives you separation for roster management.

Love the players we're chasing, but we don't need 3 DTs. Unlike CB, LB, S, and DE, there are at maximum 2 DTs on the field at any one point, and often only 1. We have Bethel, Ford, Silvera, Miller, and Martin returning in 19, which is already a solid group. Adding 2 to that would be great. 3 would probably be overload.

Grab all the DEs we want because of rush package substitutions.

Love the players we're chasing, but we don't need 3 DTs. Unlike CB, LB, S, and DE, there are at maximum 2 DTs on the field at any one point, and often only 1. We have Bethel, Ford, Silvera, Miller, and Martin returning in 19, which is already a solid group. Adding 2 to that would be great. 3 would probably be overload.

Everybody on that list are question marks who’s to say they’ll turn out to be good? What if they decide to transfer? We definitely need to take 3 and decide later on if the DT spot gets over crowded.

Advertisement
State too talented at dt to only be taking 2 of them....
We already have 2 committed now(brown and Daxon who are studs)

Jaquaze Sorrels
Tyler Davis(apopka kid)
Braylen Ingraham
Derrick hunter

Are all on the dt board

This dline and linebacker class is like the db board of 2018 as I’ve said weeks ago, it’s a good thing we didn’t just take anyone on the dline or at lb knowing it’s a stacked class at those positions in 2019.

Last edited:
Everybody on that list are question marks who’s to say they’ll turn out to be good? What if they decide to transfer? We definitely need to take 3 and decide later on if the DT spot gets over crowded.
That's how every position works. You don't know if the guys that were good last year will be good this year either. I recognize we're splitting hairs here, but taking 3+ pure DTs seems like overkill. Would be interested in a tweener type that could play DE too. Naturally, my position on this is irrelevant if you have the opportunity to land a 5* caliber player. You obviously always take those guys if they're interested regardless of room.

Advertisement
That's how every position works. You don't know if the guys that were good last year will be good this year either. I recognize we're splitting hairs here, but taking 3+ pure DTs seems like overkill. Would be interested in a tweener type that could play DE too. Naturally, my position on this is irrelevant if you have the opportunity to land a 5* caliber player. You obviously always take those guys if they're interested regardless of room.
It definitely is not overkill in any way. Next year we will only have 4 DTs on the roster - Bethel, Ford, Nesta, and Miller. We want to have 8 on a yearly basis. That means we NEED at least 3 DTs in 2019. 4 is ideally what we would sign, but we may be limited by the fact 28 is our max we can take, but we might only end up taking 25 anyways.

DE is even crazier. we only have 3 guy guaranteed to return - Jon Garvin, Gregory Rousseau, Scott Patchan....and Joe Jackson could declare early after this season. Ideally we want to have 9 on the roster at all times. However adding 6 DEs is overkill for one recruiting class. But I absolutely think we should sign MIN of 3-4 pure DEs. Id go with Bogle, Williams, Summerall, and a national DE prospect like Thibodeaux or Nolan Smith, otherwise Ingraham is good too.

State too talented at dt to only be taking 2 of them....
We already have 2 committed now(brown and Daxon who are studs)

Jaquaze Sorrels
Tyler Davis(apopka kid)
Braylen Ingraham
Derrick hunter

Are all on the dt board
We probably end up with Sorrels and Ingraham.

I say that we should get like 6 or 7 defensive line men in this 2019 class. I know that might sound like a lot but there are a tone of south Florida studs at D-line in the 2019 class. This is a definite positon of need. I would like Miami to take advantage of the amount of depth at this position in the 19 class. What do you guys think?

I hope so, lots of studs and we seen to have lots of offers out.

The difference is DTs (and DEs) rotate significantly more than the other positions. You win championships by having 2nd string DLs that are better than other teams starters. There's no reason to not take at least 3 in 2019.

Advertisement
Back