2019 Defensive line Class

That's how every position works. You don't know if the guys that were good last year will be good this year either. I recognize we're splitting hairs here, but taking 3+ pure DTs seems like overkill. Would be interested in a tweener type that could play DE too. Naturally, my position on this is irrelevant if you have the opportunity to land a 5* caliber player. You obviously always take those guys if they're interested regardless of room.

Most teams carry about 8 DTs and 8 DEs (teams like Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. do) . You don't want to run into a situation where you're running very thin depth and have to rely on freshman like we're going to have to do with Silvera this upcoming season.

We absolutely need 3 DTs and 3 DEs this cycle. Because our depth is razor thin.

Advertisement
3 DEs and 3 DTs is enough to have proper depth going forward, but not too much that we don't have roster balance. I think 4 DTs or 4 DEs wouldn't give us good balance.

The difference is DTs (and DEs) rotate significantly more than the other positions. You win championships by having 2nd string DLs that are better than other teams starters. There's no reason to not take at least 3 in 2019.

This. Did you all not watch 2017 season? We rotated 8-9 guys all year long. When facing spread teams (which is often), you need that depth at DL.

Advertisement
Seems like the Standard Operating Procedure of this staff regarding recruiting is to load up at the position that has the most talent locally, and pick from other areas on a as per needed basis.
Based on the 2018 class they loaded up on receivers and DBs (I know it wasn't enough for you guys but 6 is a lot) and were light on DTs and LBs since it has been spoken about ad neasuem on this forum that within Florida and even nationally those positions were a little thin.

As mentioned, I expect them based on the upcoming talent within the 2019 class to load up on DL and LBs, then you redshirt the lesser talented players and now it gives you separation for roster management.
It's nice to get back to taking the best of the best, instead of simply taking numbers out of need. We are getting there in a hurry.

3 DEs and 3 DTs is enough to have proper depth going forward, but not too much that we don't have roster balance. I think 4 DTs or 4 DEs wouldn't give us good balance.
Actually taking only 3 at DE would actually not give us proper depth still.
we are Only returning 3 **** starters at DE (dependent on if Joe Jackson leaves or not). And Imo you want to have 9 DEs on the roster. That leaves 6 open DE spots. Now obviously It wouldn't be smart to take that many in one class, but 3-4 should be the absolute minimum. IMO we should totally be aiming for 4 DEs in this class.

dt i kinda agree with you on, but if we take 4 it wouldn't be too big of a deal because 1. I don't think tyreic Martin will be returning which means we only have 4 DTs returning, and 2. Renato Brown could play OL too.

I think 3DTs and 4DEs is the best plan.

Actually taking only 3 at DE would actually not give us proper depth still.
we are Only returning 3 **** starters at DE (dependent on if Joe Jackson leaves or not). And Imo you want to have 9 DEs on the roster. That leaves 6 open DE spots. Now obviously It wouldn't be smart to take that many in one class, but 3-4 should be the absolute minimum. IMO we should totally be aiming for 4 DEs in this class.

dt i kinda agree with you on, but if we take 4 it wouldn't be too big of a deal because 1. I don't think tyreic Martin will be returning which means we only have 4 DTs returning, and 2. Renato Brown could play OL too.

I think 3DTs and 4DEs is the best plan.

9 DE's on the roster is on the high end. Anywhere from 6-10 is ideal. Same with DT's.

We should take 3-5 DT's and 3-5 DE's this cycle, depending on which 4/5 stars we have a shot with, and depending on whether we have any attrition between now and signing day 2019.

We should not reach for less talented players just because we think we need to load up on numbers.

Advertisement
9 DE's on the roster is on the high end. Anywhere from 6-10 is ideal. Same with DT's.

We should take 3-5 DT's and 3-5 DE's this cycle, depending on which 4/5 stars we have a shot with, and depending on whether we have any attrition between now and signing day 2019.

We should not reach for less talented players just because we think we need to load up on numbers.
No 6 DEs is not Ideal in any way, IDK what you're smoking. Maybe if you run a 34 scheme, but not even then.

Also how do you give a range of 5 as the "ideal". smh. Uh no there is one number that is actually ideal. Not anywhere from 6-10, thats just ridiculous dude. We want 8 DTs and 9 DEs on the Roster. If we have 7Dts and 8DEs thats okay, but not IDEAL. Ideal is that magic number where it you have great depth, but aren't overloaded and hurting other positions.

IDEAL
QB - 5
RB - 6
WR - 12
TE - 5
OT - 6
iOL - 8
DE - 9
DT - 8
LB - 9
CB - 9
S - 6
K/P - 2

No 6 DEs is not Ideal in any way, IDK what you're smoking. Maybe if you run a 34 scheme, but not even then.

Also how do you give a range of 5 as the "ideal". smh. Uh no there is one number that is actually ideal. Not anywhere from 6-10, thats just ridiculous dude. We want 8 DTs and 9 DEs on the Roster. If we have 7Dts and 8DEs thats okay, but not IDEAL. Ideal is that magic number where it you have great depth, but aren't overloaded and hurting other positions.

IDEAL
QB - 5
RB - 6
WR - 12
TE - 5
OT - 6
iOL - 8
DE - 9
DT - 8
LB - 9
CB - 9
S - 6
K/P - 2

Need way more OL, ideally. Bama carries 20, for example. Also need at least 10 LB.

15 DL is plenty, as long as they're Miami-caliber guys

Also, the reality is we're never going to be 85 guys in the Fall, since Richt refuses to oversign. At UGA his teams were always in the 78-82 range, so if you want to be realistic, you have to adjust for that

Need way more OL, ideally. Bama carries 20, for example. Also need at least 10 LB.

15 DL is plenty, as long as they're Miami-caliber guys

Also, the reality is we're never going to be 85 guys in the Fall, since Richt refuses to oversign. At UGA his teams were always in the 78-82 range, so if you want to be realistic, you have to adjust for that
Maybe you shouldn't compare us to Bama who has an entirely different scheme offensively and defensively. I mean just look at their scholarship breakdown:
https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2018/1...the-scholarship-situation-for-2018-nick-saban
First of all you're wrong about the number of OL they have, its 18 not 20. Secondly that is clearly not and ideal breakdown of scholarships. They only have ******* 3 Qbs, 8wrs, and 4 safeties. They just dont value WR nearly as much as we would, and that should be completely obvious as to why - they're a power run team. Secondly they obviously value LBs more than we do and that should also be obvious as to why - they run a 34.

So no the **** we don't want 20 OLineman. Thats absolutely ridiculous dude. 15 is like the maximum we want - 3 per position. And 10 LBs isn't ideal for us, that is more than we need, especially since we're always going to have those safeties that are basically hybrid Lbs - like Amari Carter.

My ideal scholarship breakdown is accurate dude, it certainly isn't off by more than 1 at any position

Depth on the D line is imperative but I don't want to see the staff chasing sub par recruits just because they feel the need to add a third tackle or fourth end. Having Ryan Fines on the current roster would have added depth but what good is depth when it's players who should not be playing here? Worthless depth is...worthless.

Advertisement
Depth on the D line is imperative but I don't want to see the staff chasing sub par recruits just because they feel the need to add a third tackle or fourth end. Having Ryan Fines on the current roster would have added depth but what good is depth when it's players who should not be playing here? Worthless depth is...worthless.
They planned on taking alot of DL for 2019 because its a deep class. I don't think we have to worry about this staff getting guys that aren't Miami quality players

So no the **** we don't want 20 OLineman.n

We definitely want more than 14 though, that's low

QB 4
RB 6-7(incl 1-2 scholly fullback)
WR 10-11
TE 4-5
OL 16-17
DL 16
LB 10-11...Assuming we are still playing the set that requires 3 on the field some downs
DB 14-15
P/K 2

The high end for 3 of the positions that list a range instead of set number...

We definitely want more than 14 though, that's low

QB 4
RB 6-7(incl 1-2 scholly fullback)
WR 10-11
TE 4-5
OL 16-17
DL 16
LB 10-11...Assuming we are still playing the set that requires 3 on the field some downs
DB 14-15
P/K 2

The high end for 3 of the positions that list a range instead of set number...
Honestly 15 is what I meant to have. think i just counted wrong. But like I said 15 is what we want. I think the only position I might have overestimated how much we need is QB and TE. But Qb is only okay to have less like 3 or 4 if you have a for sure starter the next 2-3 years, otherwise you certainly want closer to 5...plus QBs always transfer out anyways. My point is you need to have 1 QB in every class
. And TE you probably don't need 5 - 4 is probably good. But then you have to ask why does anyone want 2 TEs in this class then?

Other than QB and TE I think (and me meaning to have 15 OL) everything else, especially defense is correct.
Yall are crazy thinking we need 11 LBs. Thats a joke. It doesn't even matter what our base defense is, teams run nickel like 60% of the time in todays football. Its only against like GTech and the bum FCS schools that we will be in base 43 the entire game. Otherwise the majority of the time we will be in nickel with only 2 LBs on the field. Thats just the way the game is today. And 3 LBs per position is perfect. Especially when LB is the LEAST important position on the field in a 43 defense.

Advertisement
That's not depth. That's called just having bodies. Depth is guys who can actually play and contribute.

Other than QB and TE I think (and me meaning to have 15 OL) everything else, especially defense is correct.
Yall are crazy thinking we need 11 LBs. Thats a joke. It doesn't even matter what our base defense is,.

Ya you are probably right, 11 would be pushing it...LB do make up a lot of coverage units too though

Most teams carry about 8 DTs and 8 DEs (teams like Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. do) . You don't want to run into a situation where you're running very thin depth and have to rely on freshman like we're going to have to do with Silvera this upcoming season.

We absolutely need 3 DTs and 3 DEs this cycle. Because our depth is razor thin.

We also have to play disruptive asswad teams like Georgia Tech. Not only do they eat up a day of week of practice so we can familiarize ourselves with defending the Navy Triple Option from 1910, but they wear you down pretty hard along the lines.

Advertisement
Back